DH Review: XFX 8800 Ultra XXX 768MB

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, May 20, 2007.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Review Here

Nvidia have held the GFX performance crown for quite some time with the extremely impressive 8800 GTX, so when they announced the “Ultra” a few weeks ago the general consensus was they had yet again pushed the envelope further, albeit with a huge price premium.

Everything considered, there will always be a market for these high end cards and with this in mind XFX sent us their new “XXX” Ultra for review, with further improvements on the core, memory and shader clocks. As AMD’s graphics card division are yet unable to supply an answer to the older GTX, the Ultra is certain to push the two companies high end products even further apart.

With such a high price tag on the Ultra our graphics card guru Stuart “Veridian3” Davidson will not only measure the cards real world gaming performance on XP and Vista, but will ascertain if the card is ultimately worth the money.

2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

owned

3. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Wonderful review, and it really puts everything in perspective. However, be prepared for the ATI fan boys attack!

4. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

dear god, that is one hell of a card, looks beautiful too.

I would even say its worth the money, just wish I could afford it.

5. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

the fanboys are coming! lol

6. HawgsHead

HawgsHead Rest In Peace

Like my granny used to say "the proofs in the pudden'.And nVIDIA's pudden' is pretty darn good.

7. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

whats with the 2900xt dominating the ultra in oblivion? min. fps that is. average is pretty damn close too.

8. kulmegil

kulmegil New Member

Yep, it's certainly a beauty witch such a potential... worth kill to get one ;)

9. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Oblivion is a strong point for the XT, we noticed that in the XT review too... seems like a mixture of the engine and some exceptional driver work in the set used.

10. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Penis enhancer

11. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i think the reason why oblivion is so high in there is because the HD 2900XT architecture is focused on shaders so that is probably the only strong point of the card.....

what would happen if the memory was run at 768 bit instead of 384? lol probably would dominate more

12. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I have a feeling that there are some ATI guys regretting the buyout by AMD. I wish I knew for sure, but, when this buyout was announced, I had a very strong feeling that ATI's performance and competitiveness would suffer.

I'm hanging on to the hope that I've been wrong and that this 'slump' is just temporary.

In the meantime, this ATI 'fanboy' is suffering badly.

13. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Joing the club, Im just hoping Q3 sheds some hope on the situation in the form of an XTX. I am currently fighting the urge to get a GTX or Ultra :(

I would have to agree with the ATI statement, it seemed ominous when it was announced, and more and more im seeing that to be so. At least their Driver dept is intact :)

14. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i wonder if some ATi fanboy's commited suicide because of the R600 bombing by the 8800 series. lol that would be so funny........

but do you guys really think that the Ultra is worth its humongous price tag? i mean MSI has some pretty cheap GTXs at 550 that are OCed highly

and does anyone know why newegg hates me?

15. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Hmmm?? What problem are you having with Newegg?

EDIT: Oh, BTW, no, I won't be spending $800 on any video card. Not in this lifetime anyway. LOL!

My personal 'sweet spot' for a video card price is in the $200 - 250 US range. Anything more, and I can't justify it when I consider what will be out in another six months.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  16. ChaosMinionX

From what Ive seen/heard the Ultra is a nice upgrade of the GTX...handpicked memory and GPU used on it....updated silicon to, seems to OC alot more than the GTX's do too.

17. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i dunno, every other website i go to works fine, but with newegg i cant go much further than the front page, i can do it fine on every other computing device here but not on this computer

i even cleared out my browser and everything..... ever since AVG was downloaded and installed, ive been getting a whole load of problems with programs and i dont want to reformat as i dont have a hard drive big enough to hold everything .

anyways we should get back on topic

18. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

i guess thats good, i mean i once saw the MSI 8800 ULTRA OC for like 640 dollars once on newegg bit the price was raised soon after.

19. ChaosMinionX

Heres a bit of info/look at the 8800Ultra....

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=403&pgno=1

While it uses the Same G80 core, its handpicked with silicon revisions to improve clocks.

In turn I think it makes the card have more headroom and better performance overall.

20. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

looks pretty good..... i mean if the card's price went down to 700 or so dollars it would be a good choice, i mean handpicked ram chips, tweaked core for higher efficiency and probably less heat....

is that heatsink assembly good? i mean it could probably use some work in some places for better OCing