DHzer0point ForceWare 0.9291

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 11, 2006.

1. StatiK

StatiK New Member

I don't know whats going on but these things have really scared me lol. I'm running Neverwinter Nights 2 and my pc just reboots and KEEPS rebooting. I can't get it to load windows at all even trying safemode it would lock up at agp440.dll. So, I get frustrated and turn it off, pull the plug from the psu and come back 30min later. The pc boots fine like nothing happend so I decide to install new drivers.

I downloaded the 93's off nvidia's website and then reboot into safemode. I uninstalled the DHz's and then ran drivercleaner and rebooted to safemode agian. Installed the 93's and yet agian rebooted(lol). I get into windows and my card isnt even recognized. Theres no CP for it, no hardware info at all!! Soooo, i try reinstalling the drivers right then and reboot and its finally recognized and all is fine. This is where I'm at right now. I havn't played any games yet but I'll let you know whats going on.

Also, sometimes when the pc would reboot I would get a box floating on my montior saying "Input Not Supported". I hope everything goes well from now on though.

System specs(not sure if their in my sig):
    P4 3.4GHZ
    eVGA 7800GS
    1GB Kingston DDR-400
    Acer AL1914-Black(19in 8ms lcd(very nice lcd imo))

2. WWNSX

WWNSX New Member

After seeing all the posts in here and not sure what driver package to go with I went with these and I'm glad I did. My overall system perfromance I think is up because I'm not having redraw troubles in windows.

These bench a little Lower in Trackmania Sunrise Extreme but I can literally see a difference that they do respond and run faster.

My only Gripe is that Nvidia broke the damn profiles again and I hate the new control panel; the old one was just easier to use and didn't look or feel like bloat now the new one does IMO I'm going to probably end up disbaling all the settings in both and then just use nHancer.

Question in the last relase of the DH zeropoint there was a color booster that ran in startup and i disabled that when i uninstalled the drivers etc and went to safe mode to use driver cleaner rebooted and installed these and now the 0.9291's set didn't install it is that a change or it should be there etc?

I disabled all the Nvidia files that run at Startup except the one I need for audio because nvsvc32.exe was taking up 50% CPU time while benching. is there any benefit from not disabling the Nvidia startup files?

Thanks for the great set :)

3. e!i

e!i New Member

Well you would lose points anf fps, because THERE MENT TO!! lol. These drivers maximise IQ at the cost of performance.
    Always read the lable.

4. Fire Frog

Fire Frog New Member

Hey guys i've got a ds3 with 7950gx2 and they both seems to have some compatibility issues with each other... have tried to fix this for 10 days since i got the card from a friend.

basically wat happened was that whenever i wanted to do a cold boot i will be greeted with a blank screen. this happens only when the ac is originally off. i have to try for about 5 times so that i can get into windows successfully... this is becoming very irritating... the computer is on, and i can even hear the windows login tune being played, but there is just no display on my monitor...

sometimes when i am able to get out of the blank screen by restarting or cold booting, the screen will display some garbage colour mash that is superimposed over the original loading bios screen. at that point in time, i would have to press the reset button before the screen will return to normal. sometimes the computer will hang at the windows loadscreen and sometimes it will restart some time after the windows loadscreen. however, all the games and 3dmark scores are correct for this card... there are no problems when i get into windows.

i have tried to rma the card but they have tested and proven that the card is working fine. i have tried to update my bios to the latest on gigabyte's website and i have tried all the drivers... from 91.31 to 93.71. i have even repaired my copy of windows and reinstalled sp2. nothing works... the problem will come back after i off the ac power supply. as a last resort, i have tried downloading and trying the DHzer0point 92.91 but to no avail... i am giving up already... after 10 days of trying... i'm just so tired...

anyway i am using cooler master's eXtreme power 430 and the problem shouldn't lie on the psu as i've tried using a friend's psu... 430 should be more than enough for this setup. i am using only 1 hdd and 1 dvd burner.

any help would be appreciated... i am desperate now... sorry for posting such a lengthy post.

5. mrestine

mrestine New Member

I wouldn't be so quick to discount the possibility of insuffient power for your system from your PSU. Go to nVidia's website and check out their approved SLI PSU's (http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html#certified_powersupplies). I know you only have the one GX2, but that is really the equivalent of at least two 7900 GT's in SLI that conveniently occupies a single PCIE slot, at least from a power requirements perspective. Nowhere on nVidia's website is your PSU menionted as being SLI approved, not even for the weakest SLI combination they have. The closest thing CoolerMaster has approved by nVidia for SLI is their "Real Power 550 SLI" and that unit is still not up to 7800 GTX or 7900 GTX SLI standards. For that level of power, CoolerMaster only has the "Real Power Pro 850 (RS-850-EMBA) unit.

My girlfriend's system has a sinlge MSI 7950 GX2 married to an Asus A8N SLI Premium with an overclocked Opteron 175 at 2.5ghz. Her OCZ PowerStream 520 SLI was too weak for the GX2, the overclocked CPU and all her other peripherals. It would handle a single Radeon X1900XT in that configuration, but the GX2 just required too much power and pushed it slightly over the edge for stability and reliabilty. I didn't replace the PSU, but simply added a Thermaltake PurePower Exrpess 250 SLI (W0099RU) dedicated video card power unit and all my power problems were solved. It fit in an unused 5.25" case bay and was easier to install and much cheaper overall than upgrading to a significantly more expensive replacement PSU for the entire system. That unit can be found at Ewiz.com for $45.32 and at NewEgg.com for $49.99, excluding shipping. As for replacing the entire PSU, probably the best bang for buck alternative per the nVidia approved list would be the Sparkle Power FSP550PLG-SLI550W. That unit can be found at Ewiz.com for $82.40 and at NewEgg.com for $89.99, excluding shipping. The only drawback to this unit is that it will not give you as much future proofing for later video card upgrades that may have even greater power needs.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Mike

6. Fire Frog

Fire Frog New Member

thanx mike for ur comprehensive explanation. i thought that the power supply is enough for the card as assured by the shop who sold me my system parts... if that is the case then would a cooler master eXtreme 600 do the trick? or can i just recycle a psu from my older computer and use it just to power the card. thanx a lot for ur help. i'm from singapore and so i suppose there is a significant time difference. so pardon me for replying the message after a few hours.

7. mrestine

mrestine New Member

Probably not. Again, look at nVidia's recommendations on their website. It says that the CoolerMaster iGreen Power 600W (RS-600-ASAA) is SLI certified. However, that PSU is NOT cerified for dual 7800 GTX or 7900 GTX configurations. Your 7950 GX2 will draw almost the same level of power as two 7800 GTX cards in SLI. The only CoolerMaster brand that can handle that kind of power draw is the Real Power Pro 850W (RS-850-EMBA). For where you live, there may not really be no inexpnsive way around getting your video card the power it needs.

Yes, you can use an older PSU for just the video card. However, that old PSU would have to meet some minimum requirements:

1. Enough room in your case for the 2nd PSU with adequate ventilation and coolling.

2. Enough overall power to support the video card.

3. Enough overall power on the +12 volt rail to support the video card. Very important; check with nVidia for this requirement.

4. The right kind of power connector for the video card.

If you can find a dedicated video card power supply like Thermaltake or FSP makes, then that would be a better solution. There may be some other PSU manufactureres that make dedicated video card PSU's by now too. Do a Google search and check it out.

Good luck.

Mike

8. Fire Frog

Fire Frog New Member

does the card really draw that much power? the 4 pin moles to pci-e connector can only provide up to 75 watts right? and its stated by nvidia that the card will draw less than 150w even on load right? i've been told by the shop owner that he had previously sold 750gx2 systems before and they are all working fine with the extreme 430.

the games run really well and there's no problem at all after i am able to get into windows. its just the boot up part that is buggy.. could this be caused by the infinite loop error in the nv_disp? i will go back and try powering the card from a single psu and see if everything's alright? i was thinking more along the lines of the driver problem or maybe motherboard bios problem..

9. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

firefrog...it does sound like a PSU issue.

try unhooking your optical drives and any slave hard drives you have and onyl run your bootable HDD, and the components you need, and if that helps...you have yer culprit :)

10. Fire Frog

Fire Frog New Member

thanx bro for ur help. i'm currently outside now.. will go back and try it out tonight with another psu just to power the card. if the problem is really with the psu then i'll have to change... thanx a lot guys.. if it doesn't solve the problem then i guess i'll have to try other drivers... until i solve this problem...

11. mrestine

mrestine New Member

Yes, that card can draw almost 150w of power all by itself. When it first came out, nVidia said the max draw was 143w. Some internet tech sites have tested it higher than that, around 150w or more. nVidia also originally said that the minimum PSU requirements were for a 450w PSU that had a minimum of 27a capability on the +12v rail. Again, many internet tech sites reported problems with any power supply that supplied less than 36a continuous uninterruped power on the +12v rail. My experience with my OCZ PowerStream 520w SLI underscores those same reports. My OCZ supplied 33a on the +12v rail and it was not enough for the GX2, especially with all the other perhipherals and overclocked CPU. I, too, had to upgrade my PSU's such that I was assured of having a minimum of a STABLE 36a or more on the +12v rail. My solutiion was a dedicated video card PSU. Problem solved and the GX2 worked great after that.

In researching your PSU, I found that your +12v rail for the CoolerMaster Extreme 430 only delivers 19a on the +12v rail, thereby starving your GX2 for power. I'm suprised it even boots up at all, much less launches a game. You also have to remember that every single component in your system draws power from your PSU. That includes CPU, MB, HD, Optical Drives, Floppy Drives, all add-in cards, fans, front panel inputs, front panel displays, lights, etc. Moreover, anytime you put something in your USB port that requires USB power, it gets it from your PSU and further drags it down. It doesn't take much for all the other things in your system to use up so much or your PSU's available power that too little is left for the video card. To get a more accurate idea of how much power your particular system may require go to the Extreme-Outervision.com website and check out their online system power supply calculator (http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp). You will be amazed at how much power your overall system requires. Don't forget to add your CPU cooler fan as one of the fans in that section of the online configurator.

My recommendations:

Thermaltake PurePower Express 250 Video Card PSU (http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/PurePower/w0099/w0099.asp).

or

FSP Booster X3 300w Video Card PSU (http://www.home2000.net/client/fspgroupusacom/proddetail.asp?linenumber=230).

or, if you replace your current PSU with the cheapest possible working solution:

Sparkle FSP550PLG-SLI PSU (http://www.sparklepower.com/pdf/FSP550PLG-SLI.pdf).

or, if you have to have a CoolerMaster brand:

CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850 (http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/Products.aspx?pid=1273).

Lastly, please keep in mind that there is no real industry standard for measuring the output and performance claims by manufacturers of PSU's. Some, perhaps many, manufacturers measure the output of their PSU's in much cooler conditions that what may really exist in the average user environment. This improves their claimed specifications and enhances their product's market appeal. Don't be fooled by this. PSU performance generally always degrades with higher heat, both ambient and internal. For some manufacturers, this is more pronounced than others. Bottom line, there is really no cheap shortcut to ensuring adequate power for a system such as yours. So, even is you use an old PSU for just your video card, it will not solve your problem, if it can't supply a minimum of 36a uninterruped, stable power to the +12v rail.

Good luck.

Mike

fobis likes this.
  12. Fire Frog

Fire Frog New Member

haha mike thanx for ur explanation. i really appreciate the effort u took in writing such a long explanation. ok i will think about that if i really have no other choice. cause currently its been improving after i tried the 96.89 drivers.. might try other drivers tomorrow. btw its 1am here in singapore. haha.

btw is there such a thing as a 2 4 pin molex to 1 pci-e connector? cause i have 2 12v cable and each supplies about 14 or 15A. so i was thinking whether can i tap into both cables and provide the max current for my card? i am currently using a 4 pin molex to pci-e only.

and another thing that seemed to alleviate the problem. i have just disabled the "write combining" option in display properties>>settings>>advanced>>troubleshooting tab. this seemed to decrease the number of times i have to try to get into windows during cold boot.

will keep u guys updated concerning my problem. thanx a lot for all help rendered. thanx for all the precious time spent.

13. mrestine

mrestine New Member

I don't know of anybody that makes such a connector adapter and probably for good reason. If your extra PSU unit can't pump out at least 36a on the +12v rail, it's moot anyway. By the way, what did you discover to be your total system power requirements from the link I gave you?

14. Fire Frog

Fire Frog New Member

sigh... i just got into windows after about 10 tries starting the computer... it gives 1 long beep and 2 short beeps when i first tried to start it. checked wat it means online and i think it means video adapter failure... this is sad... and very irritating..

btw wat should i put for the cpu tdp and surge compensation for the psu in the extreme psu calculator? i just realised that the default vcore is 1.25... and i changed it to 1.325. i've tried this before last time, using 15%surge compensation and 85%tdp and iirc i got around 300 or probably a bit more. however this time after changing the vcore to 1.325 i got a whooping 612w.... this is bad... very bad.. now i got to change my psu... thanx mike for the links to a dedicated psu for the graphics card... thanx a lot for ur help..

edit: ok i think i will try it with my another psu on my brother's computer now. yest i tried using some old psu from a unused computer hanging around. i read in a thread in driverheaven that the lack of power could show up in a few ways: bsod, random shutdown and restarts and also lock ups in gaming.. i dont have all the above symtoms but i wont rule out a psu problem too early. will try with the psu and then update my results. thanx again to mike for ur help.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  15. Fire Frog

Fire Frog New Member

ok used the psu of my brother's computer. i believe its 380w with 17A on the 12v lines. not far off from thermaltake's 250w with 21A. however, i cant start up the computer.. it just gives a long beep followed by 2 short beeps. so i guess the psu might not be enuf as well.. however, when i swapped back to my 430, the computer started, but with a long beep consisting of random high and low frequencies. i think that might be because of the 380w used previously. so... will bring this computer down to the shop who sold me the parts and borrow that uncle's psu to try.

16. Fire Frog

Fire Frog New Member

ok guys newest update.. i've tried using coolermaster's 600w but it still refuses to work. so i'm going to bring the whole system down for testing on monday...

17. mrestine

mrestine New Member

If you are using more than 1.25v even at stock 2400mhz speed, then check the "Overclock my CPU!" checkbox; leave the "Stock CPU speed (Mhz)" and "Stock Vcore" as they are; put 2400 for "Overclocked CPU speed (Mhz)"; and, put 1.325 for the "Overclocked Vcore". Press the "Overclock" button to get the "Overclocked CPU Wattage" amount. Should be 73w for you. Mine is 122w from 1.485v @ 3200Mhz.

For "CPU Utilization", select "100% TDP". Also, for additional fudge factor, select "10%" for both "Surge Compensation" and "Capacitor Aging". Remember to select "High End Desktop" for "Motherboard", too.

My total minimum required is 787w using a Thermaltake Armor case with 2 x 92mm internal LED fans, 3 x 120mm internal LED fans and 1 x 240mm side panel fan. I also have 2 Radeon x1900XT cards in CrossFire configuration and SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty with Front Panel. My case also has a blue cold cathode light and front panel fan/accessory controllers and front panel LCD indicators. It has front panel card readers too. I have only 1 SATA-3 hard drive and 1 CD/DVD RW drive. My main PSU is an OCZ PowerStream 520 SLI and my video card PSU is an FSP Booster x3 300w. Even if I take away the 10% fudge factor for "Surge Compensation" and "Capacitor Aging", I'm still needing 656w total power.

Typical symptoms with inadequate power are boot problems, Shutdown/re-boot problems, Windows irregularities, Sound looping or other sound problems and BSOD's or hard lock-up's in games and other demanding 3d type applications.

18. mrestine

mrestine New Member

Did you try using the CoolerMaster 600w as a 2nd additional PSU for only your video card?

Also, not sure that forcing your video card to try to work all this time with inadequate power has not somehow damaged it.

Have you tried another less demanding video card to rule out other possiblities?

19. Fire Frog

Fire Frog New Member

thanx mrestine for helping.

i've tried using the 600w psu to power onli my card but it doesnt seem to be running as the psu fan is not on. i'm guessing that there's some problem with synchronisation as the 600w is not plug into the 24pin for the mb. there used to be no such problem with my 7600gt of 2 months. used to be able to start up fine.

i remember that i forgot to uninstall the msi drivers for my 7600gt before taking it out and replacing with the 7950gx2.. could that be causing some corruption of info? and another thing that i've done is to delete some files in the system32 folder as according to a webpage so as to remove the stupid msi tabs left behind after i removed those drivers.

iirc i thought the default vcore for conroe is 1.325v? y is it 1.25v then?

thank you for all the help that u've provided.. will bring the whole system down for the engineers to crack their brains.. its their turn now i suppose... i'm very tired already.. lack of sleep for 11 days.... wasted 11 days of my life for this sh*t...

edit: another thing that i've forgot to mention.. i've just done a repair of windows. then installed sp2 and all the drivers for my mb. then i installed DH0's 92.91 drivers for my 7950gx2. after that the problem persists..

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  20. Fire Frog

Fire Frog New Member

ok done some calculations with the extreme power calculator.. using 100% tdp, 10% surge and cap aging plus using vcore as 1.325 and psu ultilization at 75% i got about 430w as the final result. give or take.