difference in ATI Sapphire Direct 3D etc.

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Neshi, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

whats the difference.. is there a quality difference or is it just a brand that you pay for.. the original is more expensive then its followers like sapphire, direct 3d etc.?

2. Arklon

Arklon Active Member

I'm pretty sure the ones made by ATi overclock better, in most cases. Not sure about ASUS ones... they have more features, though.

3. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

The main difference is what's included in the box; msi for instance usually has a very good software bundle. There may be hardware changes as well (asus usually has their own heatsinks for instance) or some are overclocked out of the box.

4. dipstick

dipstick New Member

I’ve seen quite a few X1x00 cards from various manufacturers with the ATi sticker still under their own on the HFS. My HIS X1900 goes a step further by having non valid HIS serial number that I can register only with ATi:duh: My guess is that almost all cards start as built by ATi and companies just slap their own stickers on them(Asus is probably an exception). Just go with the best price/bundle you can find

5. Neshi

just a question cos i found a sapphire (i thought that was a pretty good brand too) x800xt 256mb. thing is just that its not an ATI, but a Sapphire...
    it cost me 125 euro.. about $105.

btw the cheapest x800xt i could find.. :bleh:

6. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Sapphire is the largest manufacturing supplier for ATI they make the majority of ATI cards and the partners just label them as their brand

7. AirJarhead

AirJarhead New Member

It used to be that the brand mattered because Nvidia and ATI used to make the chipset, and the partners would make their own board, HSF, etc. It seems to me that the newer series of cards (X1800, X1900, and Nvidia 7900GTs) are all the same. As said before, they are just slapping a sticker with their name on the HSF.

8. twistedpain183

twistedpain183 New Member

I bought an x700 as my first card to test from sapphire and it preformed flawless and gave me great preformance. the x1600 series has also preformed well no artifacts or DOA's and im running two of them i would probally keep buying sapphire aslong asim on a tight bugget id like to eventually one day own a tru ATi card but Sapphire is just as good as the real thing so no complaints from me! :D

9. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

sapphire and powercolor are going to be very close to the ATi ones, if not spot on, aside from colors

10. Neshi

so it doesnt make any difference, just looking at ati and sapphire..

11. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

These days there is no difference between the manufacturers cards, certainly in their first few itterations.
    This is because they all use the ATi reference board to install the chip. They all use the same HSF (ATi reference design) until they have time to sell a few cards and then develop their own designs.
    Put it this way, when ATi release a new core say R580 and send the orders to all the GFX card makers who then have to look at the chip, develop a board to put it in then market it, the guys who go with the reference board get their cards out a lot faster and so gain market share and a large share of the riches.
    This happened back in the days of the 9x00 series. I cant remember exactly who it was - could have been Tyan (that name rings a bell for some reason) who decided to order a load of 9700 cores but develop their own card and their own HSF.
    They got their order of cores so late that by the time they shipped their first card to the stores, everyone else had already shipped their 9800s to stores. I think it nearly put them out of business.