digital connection help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trex_daemon, Mar 28, 2011.

1. trex_daemon

trex_daemon Member

Hello guys.
    I've just bought this receiver:
    VSX-420-K 5 Channel HDMI AV Receiver (Black) - Pioneer Amplifier and Receivers
    It has optical inputs, as well as digital inputs, and it can take also signal from HDMI.
    I want to connect this to an Audigy 2 ZS (I also have a livedrive external bay, connected to it with a modified cable).
    I would like help in how to connect this receiver to the souncard.
    Of course I could with analog inputs, but digital would be better.
    Also, if I connect via optical input or digital SPDIF, only digital steams will be playable, or it can transcode any stram to digital ?
    How should I set up the application and KX itself ?

Thanks in advance for your support.

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

The easiest thing to do would be to just connect it to the Audigy 2 drive, as it has coaxial and optical outputs. If you would rather connect it to the digital out on the rear of the card, then you would need an adapter to convert from the 1/8 mini plug to coaxial.

If you want surround sound from games, etc, you would probably be better off using analog.

All audio in the computer is digital. The DAC's in the sound card convert it to analog for use with the analog outputs.

As for kX setup, there is nothing special that you need to do... The default DSP config should work. You probably would just want to set Surrounder to some 2.0 surround mix setting, and enable AC3 passthru (only when source audio is AC3, etc).

3. trex_daemon

trex_daemon Member

Thanks. I'll try today.

4. trex_daemon

trex_daemon Member

Well, I'm reporting back.
    I've connected the receiver with the livedrive with an optical cable.
    I've set the output soundcard to be SPDIF , but no matter what setting I use in the KXmixer for spdif I get no sound from the receiver, and it says that cannot find digital signal).
    So what setting should I have in the kxmixer in order to output to the optical port in the livedrive?
    Also, is it ok to se the spdif 'sound device' for the output ?
    I've tried to output sound with ac3filter,
    I've set it to passthrough, and the source was a 48Khz DTS signal , the track of a movie.

The courios thing is that I also tried to use the onboard realtek soundcard's optical output, also changed the sound device to use that, in ac3 filter i've used the same settings, but no luck.
    The receiver says that it cannot find digital signal.
    What am I doing wrong ?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I do not have Windows 7, so I am not sure if anything is different there, but you should not need to use a special driver (i.e. SPDIF) to use the SPDIF output (except probably for AC3 related stuff). However, (AFAIK) using AC3/SPDIF should not cause a problem.

Try the following:
    Connect your optical cable to both optical connections (i.e. optical out to optical in) of the Live! drive.

Clear the DSP.
    Load Prolog, Wave Generator 3, peak, and epilog.
    Connect pins 7/8 of prolog to the peak plugin.
    Connect Wave Generator's Sinus output to pins 3/4 of epilog.

Unmute the SPDIF slider (at the bottom) on the Ins and Outs page of kxmixer and set the level to 0 dB.
    (BTW: Also make sure the SPDIF slider at the top is not muted and set to 0 dB (should be the default setting))

Open the GUI of the peak plugin and check for a signal (should be @same level as the setting of Wave Generator 3 (when Master Volume is at 100%)).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

BTW: The above should confirm that the optical connections of the Live! drive are working, etc.

If that works OK, reload your normal DSP config, and reconnect the cable to your receiver, and make sure to select the correct input on your receiver (press Signal Select and choose O1 or O2 depending on which optical connection you are using).

Also, I am not sure if kX supports DTS (I do not think it does), so for AC3 passthru related stuff, try a different AC3 format.

7. trex_daemon

trex_daemon Member

Thanks Russ. I'll try this weekend.

8. trex_daemon

trex_daemon Member

Hello Russ,
    I've tried with your proposed solution.
    The problem is, on the peak meter connected to prolog's coaxial/output 'output' nothing is seen.
    So I suspect the cable, however it was brand new. When I connect one end to the out of the drive, on the other end I can see the red spot, but it's very fade. Is it okay ? Shouldn't be the light much stronger ?
    I've also tried to connect the output of the onboard realtek soundcard (it has optical output) to the optical in on the livedrive, but still peak shows nothing.
    Also, when connected to the soundcard's optical output and to the receiver it doesn't work.
    So now i'm very confused. It might be the cable after all, but the light is seen.
    Any advices ?
    On the receiver I've selected the O1 and O2 (i've tried to connect to both inputs).
    See the attached picture of the kx dsp setup.

Attached Files:

9. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Hmmm, does it work when using the coaxial connections of the Live! drive?

The reason I wanted you to test the Live! drive outputs was because of this thread:
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/general-discussion/207400-connecting-audigy-2-zs-live-drive-ii.html

However, I have never tested the optical I/O of my Audugy drive (as I do not have any optical cables to test with), but I have never seen any setting in kX that is related to optical I/O (i.e. separate from coaxial), nor have I seen any info in the user manual about anything needing to be done to enable optical I/O, but now you have my wondering about it...

I do not know if optical and coaxial can be used at the same time, so make sure that nothing is connected to the coaxial I/O's when testing optical.

As it seems that it does not work with your Realtek card either, it is hard to rule anything out...

I will see if I can dig up an optical cable to test with (I thought I had one some where), so I can confirm settings, etc...

Of course, if someone else who uses the optical connections can confirm settings, that would be great...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  10. trex_daemon

trex_daemon Member

Well, everything else is working on the livedrive, and when I have made the cable I've respected and double checked the wiring.
    Also what is very interesting is that with realtek it's not working either.. Nor the optical in in kx nor the communication with the receiver.

Before I always connected stuff with analog cables, because i did not have a receiver that had optical connections, so I have no experience with that.
    I will check with a coaxial cable, but currently i don't have any. I'll try with simple RCA video cable, i've read that it should work.

11. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is probably just something with the (optical) cable. There are many stories on the Internet of some bad experiences some people have had with some of these cables (e.g. short life span, problems if there are any bends in the cable, etc).

Yup, that should work.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  12. trex_daemon

trex_daemon Member

Hello Russ,
    Finally, I got my cable exchanged with another one, and with that everything works perfectly. So after all, the cable was the problem.
    Thank you for your help and for your valuable suggestions.

Best Regards,
    Barney.

13. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I am glad that your new (new) cable is working :rolleyes:

BTW: I am not sure what version of kX you are using at the moment, but it seems that some recent versions of kX (since 3543) may have had an issue with AC3 passthru, so if you have any problems there, you may have to use 3551a.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  14. trex_daemon

trex_daemon Member

Mine did not. I'm using latest version of KX.