DirectX 9.0 Beta 3.

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by David, Oct 9, 2002.

1. David

David Banned

2. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

Any word about a time-bomb like the last few betas?
    And how the hell is ATI and Matrox advertising support for 9.0 when Beta 3 was JUST released? Or am I getting my cards and drivers mixed up? :duh:

3. Alistair

Alistair Spoos

Expiration

January 8, 2003

4. Shaith

Shaith New Member

Re: How they can claim that

Just as with previous DirectX releases, certain features were required in order to claim support. Things like pixel and texel shaders, T&L, etc have all been requirements of previous DirectX installments. Just because the software isn't ready doesn't mean the hardware isn't. On the contrary, because of the features being released with each new DirectX, hardware support was required in advance of the release of the latest version.

Remember, hardware developers who build products that rely on DirectX for things like games get information on what's being added to DirectX well in advance of the general public. This in turn allows them to build support to that specification into their product lines before the software supports it. So while the features of DirectX 9.0 aren't yet being implemented, the hardware is already there. Imagine how upset you'd be if you spent $400+ on a brand-new state-of-the-art video card, only to have the new DirectX come out a month later and your card didn't support the features available with the new DirectX.

So, with ATi and Matrox, their newest product lines support DX9. For nVidia, chances are high that DX9 support will have to wait until the release of the NV30, and who knows when THAT will be.

5. typongtive

typongtive New Member

driver signing

Normally when i install something on my computer that and it says the driver has not been signed yet, it gives me options to install or not. DX 9 just says it will not install and to contact my administrator...but i am the main and only account on this computer. I am using Windows pro. Can some one help thanks in advance.

6. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Goto My Computer Properties, Hardware TAB and click Driver Signing and check the options in there.

7. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Have I ever told anyone how much I hate web installers? Stupid idea. Why you just can't download redist package and install it at your friend's computer who has another os and doesn't have connection to internet?

8. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Link to Redist Package

Found it, but it seems that link doesn't work. It requires anonymous login with e-mail, and when I enter it it still doesn't seem to work... Try it, it is only link I know so far

9. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

So, in other words, my Radeon 8500 128DDR will become junk when DX9 is officially released? Or does that just mean I'll see more of it's features being utilised? Man!, I haven't even had it 6 months yet. :duh:

10. T2k

T2k Guest

Re:

Of course, not. :)

Relax, dude. The first DX9-games will arrive around not before 2004, IMHO...

11. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Re:

do you think it will take this long?

12. T2k

T2k Guest

Re:

Look Zardon, develop a game engine takes minimum one (rather two) year and even the final DX9 isn't out yet...

13. Saint_K

Saint_K InSaNe

So anyone has aworking link to the full download and not the webinstaller?

14. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Re:

its quite possible but I think with the backing of some of those massive companies and programmers we might see some games, winter 2003. ATI already have some pretty nice DX9 demos made for release soon, already downloadable in movie format.

15. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Redist Package Please?

Yeah, I agree with the WebInstaller being a dumb idea. It doesn't even work for me. It just sits there to the point where it says my connection isn't working. So a link is muchly appreciated

16. Saint_K

Saint_K InSaNe

web installer here works, but it took me over almost 4 hours to download the 7 mb on a 8mbit line.....

So any one knows something to do about the timebomb?

17. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

I think the idea of the webinstaller is too restrict access, when MS no longer want that D/L around they take it off their servers and people are left with a webinstaller that dont do anything, they can monitor how many downloads/people are getting it rather than if it was fired all over the place. But I too agree their st00pid things :)

18. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

19. Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian Master of my own Destiny

Anyone know of a fix for the deadline yet???

20. Shaith

Shaith New Member

Re:

Developers get the specs long before, like I said before. You think they're waiting for DX9 to be released to begin working on DX9 engines? No. They already have the function maps in hand, it's a matter of MS releasing them so they can make use of them. I figure the first big DX9-capable game is less than 3-4 months away, sooner if MS finalizes DX9 and releases it in the near future.