DirectX 9.L and SP 3

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by MrSpock2002, Jul 12, 2007.

1. MrSpock2002

MrSpock2002 Because I said so!

Anyone have any idea when these are due out? I'm assuming the xp version of dx10 will come with SP 3...

2. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

SP3 is due first quarter of 2008 (but check the news forum, there is a post). DX10 will not be coming to XP. Not only does it not make sense economically, but MS insists its impossible.

3. Arklon

Arklon Active Member

The latter is probably just some fairy tale, though.

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

It is if you read The Inquirers article on why.

5. MrSpock2002

I know DX10 is not coming to XP. But MS has stated that DX9.L will be a dumb downed version of DX10 for XP, this way newer DX10 only games can also be run on XP. The Enquirer site stated that, as did the forum on MS.

I just wasn't sure if they were going to implement it into XP in SP3, or sooner.

6. stucky

stucky New Member

:bleh: Are you sure you REALLY want SP3?

It's probably 1/2 Microsoft programs that snoop to see what you're doing, restricting things and surly, last but not least, more Windows Genuine Advantage B.S :annoyed:

7. Vikingod

This article at Beyond3d offers different insight. All of it is beyond me, so I can't have an opinion. Interesting stuff though. I can't blame MS for wanting to make a buck (or a few billion). Then again, I scratch my head and wonder why nobody pays much attention to OpenGL.

8. Arklon

Arklon Active Member

No, that was a mistake. DX9.L is the version of DX9 for Vista.

9. MrSpock2002

MS can say what they wish about being impossible but it has been proven it IS possable. They originally said it wasn't, but changed it sine nVidia could not implement DX10 into their cards. It has to do with virtualization or some crap.

Exonomically it also makes sense.. Both MS and other game manufactorers would make a ton of money if the new Vista Only games could also be run on XP.

10. Arklon

Arklon Active Member

No, DX10 is pretty much the only selling point of Vista.

11. MrSpock2002

All I know is I had read an article in the european version of the Windows XP magazine, and it stated that MS was going to make an xp version of dx10, basically a "dumbed down" version.

After reading further, and with newer news, it seems DX9.L is actually DX10 for Vista.

I still personally think MS will atleast put an updated DX9 out with SP 3, since they are getting a shit load of flack from game dev's. Not to mention MS's games for windows that only run on vista have been losing money big time, most notably Halo.

People have stated that Vista with Halo had slowed their pc's down by over 50 percent in some cases. Not to mention the cash their losing from the development of the windows live crap where a PC version could play upagaist the XBox 360.

Hell MS is so worried that they are actually making flash games, that use their search engine to boost cash flow. People have now made macros that actually "hack" the server this way the people don't actually need to play, it's just an instant "Iwin give me my points". MS knows about this hack and has updated their EULA, but they still havn't banned anyone from doing it. They are also STILL mailing out their prizes, which include Vista, Zunes, Headsets, Wireless Controlers, etc.

Hell my brother got 2 Zunes, 4 controlers, Vista, and 2 headsets heh.

12. MrSpock2002

And that in itself is sad. All the gamers I know in real life and on the net have either dual booted xp/vista, or gone back to xp, since vista is utter shit. It's already been named MEII.

13. Vikingod

While I don't agree it is the only selling point. The thing isn't that bad, its just not that different, in my opinion. I think the advantages fall on deaf ears with the general public. By keeping DX10 only Vista, they at least get the gamers, who generate buzz, which helps sell the OS as well as loads of hardware.

14. stucky

stucky New Member

Looks like someones trying to push Vista.
    Those advantages are what...New sales for MS :D

Not exactly a great selling point to the general public.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  15. MrSpock2002

Well after looking on new egg and seeing I can get an oem copy of vista home premium, which to be honest is just as good as the ultimate unless you need the fild encryption for only $120 bucks or so, I can't complain about it any longer LOL. I just remember shelling out the 400 bucks for XP Pro when it came out, not expecting that even the Ultimate edition would be only around $230!

I won't upgrade though until the end of the year when I get a new pc. Right now my laptop is fine, and I'm afriad that there may be a lack of driver support for my card reader, and remote IR.

Not to mention what's the point of DX10 on an X600 lol.

16. Vikingod

Yeah thats it, right on the head. My post was obviously a blazing endorsement for Vista. I'm rolling in the money now.

17. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

i have a copy of Vista 64bit Ultimate i'm selling for $130 shipped ;). PM me if you're interested :).

18. MrSpock2002

Damnit I need the 32 bit.... Though this P4 could run it I guess... But better be safe then sorry, and get the 32 bit version when I decide to.

19. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

aww...alrighty then. i might have to put it up on eBay then if you peeps here on DH are too smart to go the 64bit way, lol.

20. stucky

stucky New Member

:( Now now Vik don't take it personal.
    Haven't ya wonderd why MEII's (Vista) prices are falling but yet XP'S are pretty much the same???