Discuss the Upcoming AMD RX Series GPUs

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Dyre Straits, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Anyone interested in kicking around the impressions you're getting from the soon-to-be-released AMD cards?

It seems HH isn't doing reviews...or at least hasn't been...in quite some time. I'm curious as to how the new GPUs will compare to the current crop and whether they'll be worthy of consideration cost-wise.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i've mentioned the Big Navi gpu rumors and confirmed information in another thread.

I've currently a 5700xt.. which i intend on replacing with the coming big navi gpu (not to mention likely jumping on Zen 3 AKA ryzen 5000 is the suggest naming convention to bring it in line with the apus. (matching zen architecture levels).)

suffice it to say, so far it's been mostly certain that the big chip is 80CUs.. which doubles the 5700xt's current 40. It's on a newer and more robust RDNA2 architecture which basically eliminates all of the prior RDNA1 and GCN "combo" style, considering the 5700xt like the stepping stone between the major changes.
    AMD reported that the new rdna2 big navi gpu is capable of a 50% power to performance ratio uplift over the rdna1 architecture which is by no means a small feat, and on top of that, sees a decent IPC improvement as well. It also appears to utilize "infinity cache" which basically introduces an L3 cache system that's larger, but it's dynamic and intelligent in a manner to ensure that every CU cluster gets grouped and utilized to the best ability and doesn't have to repeatedly hammer the vram for requests since it can adjust to execute instructions directly from the dynamic cache.

Currently, it's expected that simply taking the 5700xt, doubling the CUs and then applying the 50% power to performance difference so we don't have a 400watt gpu but a 200watt gpu roughly being able to match a 3080 easily. If you apply the additional IPC and other improvements being mentioned by amd, it may even match a 3090 while suckling less power. But this starts ramping up the hype train rather than gives us any actual set in stone data work a cent

However, we know the consoles use RDNA2 gpus in a modified sense on a SoC made by amd, considering the horse power they are currently advertising and claiming on the consoles, it gives a fairly good indication that what amd may present will be VERY interesting.

While i personally doubt amd will take the performance crown, i think they'll play mighty fine with potentially matching nvidia in the segment that counts for highend, but they aren't likely to take the halo product stack at all perhaps.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Allow me to christen this here thread:

You've officially been pimped.

4. Dyre Straits

We are getting much closer to the official announcements.

A 12 GB GPU sounds inviting to me. But, a 16 GB sounds even better.

5. clubrope

clubrope Active Member

The recent leaks along with the leaked PCB pictures of the card suggest that it would feature 16 GB of GDDR6 memory across a 256-bit bus interface. Do note that 16 GB VRAM is also possible with a 512-bit interface so AMD is also open to that option when the final specifications are released. We a few weeks to go till the line-up reveal but AMD and the tech press are providing us with a handful of teaser and leaks in the meanwhile.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  6. Judas

amd isn't going to go 512 bit interface.. it's too costly and frankly unnecessary for their infinity cache design.

also the pcb leaks have been limited and somewhat "altered"... the current suggestion is that while 256bit interface is the primary candidate, there appears to be a suggestion that we might see something between 256bit and 384bit.

12gb still seems to be the target however.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  7. Dyre Straits

I'm curious as to whether the upcoming AMD cards will still support enough displays to allow me to continue my current setup of 3 x 27 inch + 1 4K displays.

8. Judas

the reference model appears to have 3 outputs with a 4th usb C that supports adapters that convert from that to hdmi/dp.

Dyre Straits likes this.