Diskeeper 11 vs Perfect Disk 8

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Chaos, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Diskeeper 2010 is very solid, it uses their new intilliwrite fragmentation prevention feature, i took part in their beta process and I am very happy with it

2. Xelkos

Xelkos New Member

One big issue that I have against Disk Keeper (2010 included) is that there's no way for settings to be remembered by device - and/or to have it have an omit ruling against defragmenting external media players such as iPod, Zune, etc.

I like the automatic defragmentation option on some external drives, and jump-drives, per device. But I DO NOT like it automatically defragmenting my iPod 160!

As many advances Disk Keeper has gotten, it still lacks the ability to remember the settings "per drive".

I have the following external drives:
    * (2) Seagate 80 GB hdd - both with different models, drive names. Used with a universal USB drive adapter for backups.
    * 2 GB Crucial Gizmo jump-drive
    * 4 GB Crucial Gizmo jump-drive
    * Seagate FreeAgent Go ~ 80 GB - twin USB adapter
    * iPod 160 ~ 160 GB - media player with it's own USB adapter

Both the Seagate 80 GB drives are have different models numbers, and unique drive names; yet connect with an older universal USB drive adapter (than seen here).

One jump-drive is installed via an internal USB card adapter, used as a ReadyBoost device, which is always plugged in.
    The other jump-drive I use to swap media back & forth between laptop and PC.

The FreeAgent is used for backing up music & document files, predominantly.

iPod 160 of course I don't want automatically touched, since it resides in a leather case when plugged in and recharging. I don't want Disk Keeper meddling with it - unless I specifically tell it to do a manual defragmentation.

Sent in feedback hoping that maybe someone at Disk Keeper will get the idea that portable music drives should be automatically detected and rejected from automatic & I-FAAST defragmentation.

3. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

Frankly, my preference is Ultimate Defrag.

4. jeremyofmany

jeremyofmany New Member

Removed.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Everytime i've used a 3rd party program to do stuff like defrag or whatever.... i've been disappointed..

i've always found that the windows defragger has always done a good job... if it picks up a undefraggable file... i typically scout it out and delete it (it's usually a giagantic file or potentially an incomplete download or crashed senario file)...

Since windows vista's scheduled defragmentation and what not... i haven't ever bothered to think about a 3rd party defragger.

Windows 7 is even better....

Course now with the introductions to Solid State Drives... that's all going out the window.