DIY Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'Smartphone & Tablets Discussion / Support' started by IvanV, Jun 22, 2020.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I've had my Xiaomi Mi 5s for 2 years and 9 months and, of course, the battery is not what it is. Since I thought I'd pass it on to my mom when I get something new, I got a replacement battery from eBay and, having watched 4 YouTube videos on disassembling this particular phone, I gave it a go.

What went wrong:
    After removing the two T3 torx screws, when I tried to use a suction cup to pull the bottom section from the back cover, I pulled off just the screen instead.

How I fixed that:
    I reattached the screen with some thin double sided tape and then used a plastic pry tool and a "guitar pick" to remove the cover, unscrewed some protective metal sheet and unplugged the battery. Then I tried to remove the battery, which was held in by some really strong tape.

What went wrong:
    I applied too much local pressure on the battery while trying to pry it out and it caught fire, still firmly attached to the phone!

How I fixed that:
    I threw it on the kitchen counter and covered it with a small glass bowl. I tried to seal the edges with some tea towel and waited a bit. Then, as the bowl kept filling with smoke, I remembered that Li-Ion batteries can burn without oxygen, so I slid it into a pot and took it out to the balcony. There I left it for a few minutes, and then it occurred to me to check if the heat loosened the adhesive holding battery. It did. I carefully (so as not to burn myself) removed the battery from the phone and left it outside. The phone itself seemed fine, other than that it was scorching hot, so I left it to cool down and then installed the new battery and powered it on. It works! :D

More luck than smarts, I guess. It is a rather simple procedure, but if you've never done anything like it, you have good chances of making a mess. And out of the 4 videos I watched, even though they are generally speaking similar, after my own experience, I can say that only one is actually really good.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Yeah... Somewhere in here, somebody missed the "Do not attempt this at home" warning...

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

In the words of Chernobyl engineers, I don't see what can go wrong.

IMG_20200621_153633.jpg