DIY HDD Coolers

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by GigaWatt, Dec 15, 2020.

1. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

If you can't make it perfect, at least make it adjustable :p :D.

SDC18212.jpg
    SDC18213.jpg
    SDC18214.jpg
    SDC18215.jpg
    SDC18216.jpg

Calliers, Tyrsonswood and IvanV like this.
  2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

:D I love your cyberpunk approach to cooling. BTW, there was a guide by you for lubricating misbehaving fans that I used to nice effect (a cooler that was noisy on purchase and I was too lazy to replace is still spinning in my case who knows how many years later).

Calliers and Tyrsonswood like this.
  3. GigaWatt

It's like my calling, can't help it :D.

Don't know if anybody's interested, I can make a tutorial out of this one too ;). I'll try and make a vid this time ;).

I've updated that tutorial on my forum :D. There are a few modifications added to it, now it's called the "how to make your coolers last forver" tutorial :D. I can translated it in English and post it here, if anyone's interested ;).

Calliers likes this.
  4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Sounds interesting, it can probably be adapted to other things and not just hard drives.

Calliers likes this.
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

imo, if you have to cool some drives with any additional heatsink... the drive isn't work it.

6. GigaWatt

Actually, I've done it on graphics cards with noisy or busted fans as well ;). I've got a tut for that too :p :D.

Aha... so that means that all server manufacturers are dead wrong when they decide to cool the drives with additional coolers of put them in front of the CPU coolers... got it ;).

Not to mention I'm not adding a heatsink, I'm adding a cooler... there's a difference.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Calliers likes this.
  7. Judas

i didn't say anything about server rack situations

8. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Hai gais, whuts goin on in hea? :D

GigaWatt likes this.
  9. GigaWatt

What's the difference. Desktops use HDDs too. You don't like keeping your drives cool? Data integrity not important to you?

10. Judas

Server grade HDDs stuffed into racks with completely different environments than a normal consumer or workstation desktop, are the equivalent of apples and oranges.

In a normal desktop situation, if an HDD requires a fan/heatsink, it should be chucked/replaced, even for an enterprise level drive used in that completely different environment.

Plus i'm not aware of any modern server racks that have dedicated cooling for the drives, often it's a stack of fans that sit behind the hot swap drive bays that sit at the front of the rack, which then take advantage of the fact that hdds/ssd don't get that overly warm, allowing for mostly very cool air to pass through the fan and then over the actual components that need them closer to the rear of the case, which may actually have yet another set of fans, sometimes not. The fans aren't there for the HDDs...

11. GigaWatt

First off, server grade HDDs are just like regular HDDs, except in some cases (very few nowadays) they're made a bit better.

OK, let me get this straight. I reused and old Dell server with RAID1 1TB drives into a small email server. Both of the drives were in great condition, no relocated sectors, except they tended to get a little hot when not cooled. They both ran just fine even if they were a little hot. The CPU coolers were placed behind the drives (the drives were placed at the front, rack mount front), thus cooling the drives when they pumped in air from outside the case.

Mind you, these drives came with the box, haven't been changed since the box was made and mounted in a rack.

So... what you're saying is, I should've changed the drives, even though there were no relocated sectors and everything else regarding SMART passed?

True... but I don't have a server case at home. Besides, those cases are designed to squeeze as much stuff as you can in it. If you make adequate cooling for all of the HDDs (having one cooler underneath each of the HDDs), then vertical space would effectively double for the whole case... not to mention there will probably be a sales drop on HDDs the next few years if all server cases are made like this.

You're also forgetting that server rooms are air conditioned. Not everyone has an AC at home, and even if they do, they might not have it in every room... and even if they have central AC, pumping cool air into any PC/laptop component can't hurt the component. In fact, it'll extend it's life.

And yes, the fans aren't primarily there for the HDDs, but they're definitely placed there so that they can also cool the HDDs.

12. Judas

how hot are we talking... 80C?

13. GigaWatt

60 to 65C if they're not placed where they should be (at the front of the server case).

14. Judas

for most drives that still within tolerances, i'd be worried if it went much over 70C...

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Why can't you just let the guy put fans on his hard drives if he want's too... Sheesh

IvanV likes this.
  16. Judas

who said i was saying they couldn't put fans on drives?..... sheesh

17. Tyrsonswood

That's all you have been doing since you made your first post in this thread.

18. Judas

can you point out to any point in time.. in which i literally said anything of the sort?

19. Tyrsonswood

" if you have to cool some drives with any additional heatsink... the drive isn't work it." (I would imagine you meant "the drive isn't worth it.")

It's literally your first post...

20. Judas

and what part of that clearly states that they couldn't do what they are doing?