DNA vs OMEGA

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Jeffro, Jan 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffro

Jeffro New Member

DONT CLOSE THIS THREAD!

I have a simple question...

Do dna drivers have "worse" quality picture than omega drivers?

What are the pros and cons of both...

Thank you! :)

2. craig588

craig588 Banned

The are the exact same thing......

Killersnake (I think thats his name) stole omegas work and used it in his drivers.

Theres no difference other than the name put on it.

3. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

Moron! I am sorry for flaming, but you really ARE a moron or you don't know WTF you are talking about!

Nobody stole nobody's work! Do you KNOW how DNA and OMEGA tweak the drivers? If DAN and OMEGA are the same drivers then WHY are they showing different results in benchmarks and game benchmarks?? Huh?

They both use the .INF files to ENABLE or disable certain settings and options that ATi either enables or disables for certain reasons, and to my knowledge - ATi does it to get WHQL certified, to meet certain Microsoft requirements which are definately crappy, and force ATi to lower their performance. Another reason - some of those settings have not been tested.

Tweaks are done by simply typing the name of the registry in the .INF file, and then puttting either a 0 or a 1 next to it - enable/disable. Values can be other besides 0/1 if it deals with other things besides enabling/disabling.

Now, if you do open the .INF file and look through it - DNA and OMEGA tweaks are QUITE not the same. YES, there are many that repeat, but not close to ALL. You cannot say it is STEALING - its NOT. OMEGA did not come up with his own TWEAKS. Its ALL ATi's settings! Its ALl ATi's work! Its whether they are enabled or not!

OMEGA enables mostly those tweaks that allow better compatbility with games, less problems. OMEGA does test every tweak he uses, and he pretty much KNOWS what he is doing and what those tweaks (I'd rather call them ATi options). He's been adjust .INFs since 3DFX! Been with this much longer.

KillerSneak enables a WHOLE LOT more options, but I am not so sure he knows exactly what those options REALLY do. He uses all the same tweaks as in Rage3D tweak utility, and some others. He does not test individual tweak, but he does test drivers overall and they do increase performance due to his tweaks.

I will be honest - there is pretty much nothing you can do to worsen ATi's image quality besides adjusting LOD, AA, AF, and texture quality. ALL OF THESE options are available through the control panel, and NEITHER KillerSneak, NOR OMEGA even TOUCH that. There is no freaking quality difference between KillerSneak and OMEGA drivers. Gaming compatiblity - maybe, I did not notice. Performance difference is ALSO very very marginal, maybe 5% higher framerate with DNA drivers.

Noth KillerSneak and OMEGA use the SAME Setup Factory installer - so it may look similar to you. OMEGA probobly knows more about the installer than KiillerSneak - thats what I can say from experience. They cannot and will most likely not use any other installer like InstallShield. First of all - InstallShield (the one ATi uses) is very expensive, second of all - you have to write a special plugin to make it work with .INFs, and install drivers correctly, etc.

Setup Factory pretty much works like WinZip but with interface, and yes - its more advanced than WinZip.

OPEN THE FREAKING .INF FILES and READ through all those darn tweaks and stop telling that someone stole someone's work! Nobody stole nothing! AND so that you know - its ALL both OMEGA and KillerSneak DO - the .INF files! They don't edit .DLLs or .SYS files! They do not touch the acctual drivers! .INF files are control files that specify everything starting with what files to copy where for which card, and up to registry editing!!!!

Its really really sad that certain ATi settings are known to increase performance and both OMEGA and KillerSneak use them! The only thing that KillerSneak might have stolen is the IDEA to create modified .INF files that are already tweaked, AND yes - he used same Setup Factory program because others are just too expensive and complicated to use.

4. craig588

craig588 Banned

He already ruined his reputation by stealing Omegas work a while ago, he might have changed his methods now, but its a little too late.

5. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

Huh?

Tell me about it! Explain! When did he steal something and how? Show me benchmark results - if they are different then tweaks were different. Plus, even if it did happen (I wasn't there then) - its not like it NOW, and NOW is what we are talking about. NOW, his drivers are QUITE different, and you my friend is either really stupid or having issues! CHECK THE FREAKING TWEAKS YOURSELF!

6. craig588

craig588 Banned

I did check them, back with the 3.8 drivers....they were IDENTICAL.

I'm not gonna go wasting my time looking them up all over agian, they might be different now, but it doesnt really matter, theres only so many tweaks that can be done, if omega has already done the majority of them, and has a much better reputation for having decent drivers then why risk using some other drivers that might comprimise stability or IQ?

benches dont mean much, theres alot of other factors that can affect the scores, and I could just make up some numbers of my own.

Point:
    [​IMG]
    These came from my craig588 modded drivers, yep great scores and IQ.......

its not hard to fake bench results.

7. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Monarchx Keep the posting in here to a civil level which people can debate, if you want to flame go over to another forum.

Consider this an offical warning

8. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

...KillerSneak never provided benchmarks. There was a comparison in a TOTALLY different community between Official catalyst, DNA, and OMEGA. They did not favor any, they just the results, and I am quite sure it was legit, because at FutureMark some compared as well, and DNA are a little faster in everything due to performance tweaks, but theyre is no way they decrease IQ...I mea - did anyone even bother making a Photoshop pixel-to-pixel comparison between the two? Do that, and show me the difference. As far as your word goes for DNA 3.8 being identical - I don't take one bit because this edited screenshot you showed. DNA or OMEGA never go around showing off benches, they just say what the drivers are optmized for and its YOUR choice to test them and decide. First of all - tell me how you figured OMEGA 3.8 and DNA 3.8 were identical? Did you open the .INF file and made a 1:1 comparison, recorded all the registy values?

9. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

I am debating with explanation while I get BS answers based on nothing, and people call someone thief and don't even know what they are talking about - thats really civil.

10. HawK

HawK Banned

If you can't tell the difference, then why do you bother...

11. zerodamage

zerodamage New Member

If the better performance is being determined by 3dmark, then that means nothing to me. It's the games that matter. If these DNA drivers are faster but have piss poor IQ, then what is the sense?

12. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

:lol: Go ahead! How are they piss poor IQ? Just HOW? Show me a screenshot difference! Show me ONE difference!!! Come on! Show me! Can you?

13. HardwareHeaven

Actually you will find if you spent more time here looking rather than just immediately shooting your mouth off that everything was already explained, long standing members probably cant be bothered going over it all again.

But seeing as you are being such a smart ass and insulting forum members, ill explain, I also advise you if you post in this thread again to think, because my tolerance of this kind of posting on Driverheaven lately is wearing thin.

Omega has been making driver tweaks since the days of 3dfx, his reputation is well known as one of the pioneers of tweaks. When I was a supermoderator on Rage3d, killersneak was developing his DNA drivers by opening and using alot of omegas tweaks, and yes certainly there is no law against this, but its professional courtesy to at least acknowledge the fact when you are taking someone elses work. Omega being the man he is didnt make a big issue of this, but Cyborg (now known as Jeff), took apart killersneaks work and found with hardcore proof that killersneak had COPIED alot of omegas tweaks exactly. When confronted with this Killersneak admitted it in public. If I could be bothered looking id hunt out the threads but personally I cant be bothered doing this anymore.

Several months later, killersneak in his own egotistical way went around slandering omegadrive everytime he could and made it his personal vendetta to attack omega in public when he could. Now personally I dont particuarly like this kind of conduct, just like I dont like YOUR conduct on Driverheaven with members who have been here a long time and attempt to help people when they ask.

In the past I entered into a long email conversation with killersneak offering him a welcome on this forum if he could in fact control his god like attitude, which he did for a short time until he reverted to his previous loud mouthed "im better than omega he sucks attitude".

Omegadrive wont discuss this in public and doesnt go down to this level because he is a professional and has gained the respect of ATI and Nvidia - and trust me as the owner of this site I know alot of what goes on, that you probably arent even aware of.

Ive wasted enough time on this rubbish, and I suggest in future you conduct yourself in a manner befitting these forums, you will find there is very little tolerance here for your kind of behaviour. There are plenty of forums that discuss killersneaks work, and he offers support on his drivers. I suggest you find one.

14. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

I really don't get it....if the maker of the DNA modified drivers stole Omega's work in the past is one thing...But the Internet is a pretty damm big platform so there must be room for both to exist.

People should realize that DH was originally designed as a support venue for Omega to work on his modified drivers; so his works is going to be a sentimental favorite around here.

If Killersneak or whomever was proven to have stolen Omega's work, then it's bound to be a sensitive subject to discuss.

Perhaps this can remain civil and the end users might gain some valuable insight to which drivers do what and why.

Many people copy things as a way of learing in their early stages of trial and error, hell just look around the web and see who uses who's html code, or who really wrote the bridge section of a certain song that sounds so much like another song that you listen to...

I guess I just want the Omega vs Killersneak flamewar to chill :x

15. craig588

craig588 Banned

I'm acctually more worried about stability. I know that the IQ cant be affected much, but I'm pretty sure that some games will break, or some things wont render perfectly right.

16. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

OK, please accept my sincere apologies, your warning is taken in consideration. I was not into the DNA drivers until recently, and I did not find any OMEGA copying. I did mention he was into this starting with 3DFX, and I did say he knew what he was doing. If there was a proof of KillerSneak copying OMEGA's tweaks and admiting it, and adding his own because he did not know how to do this - then, yes, that really IS stealing an idea. Sorry, I was an ass - apologies to everyone. Still :D - a pixel-to-pixel photoshop image comparison between the two is the only way to prove image quality difference.

*feels like a dumbass :uhoh: *

17. HardwareHeaven

no need to feel like a dumbass man, its just sometimes a little nicer if you ask before shouting, works better, also gains the respect of other members too.

I have nothing against killersneak, perhaps he has even started doing his own tweaks which is commendable, I just dont like people ripping other peoples work and abusing the source of their original input into a particular field - which he admitted to initially, personally id like to move on and let people have room to do their own thing.

I have just never been a fan of his attitude, if he would act like a professional and show everyone the courtesy they deserve then I would have more time for him.

18. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

Well, I carry the curse of non-professionalism as well then. Sorry for all the trouble and screaming. And its true - most people learn by studying the work of others. I mean - it was Microsoft who originall came up with .INF files, and ATi who used them. Sorry again.

19. HardwareHeaven

im not closing debate on Killersneaks drivers, if you guys want to talk about them, then go on ahead. seems some people like them.

20. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

I've personally had nothing but issues with them.

I decided that after KS "changed" his ways that I would give em a shot and see how they were.

Still alot of problems for me, then again even though Im friends with Omega I dont use his drivers either, call me weird but Im on old fashioned kinda guy on the driver side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.