Do I need ASIO outputs?

Discussion in 'ASIO' started by Spielfreek, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Spielfreek

Spielfreek New Member

I have been reading the help files and working on the DSP with SX, and now I'm not sure of the following. I have a number of ASIO inputs connected into SX, and have connected the outputs to KX Out 0/1. However, is this the best config? I ask because the help says: "Note that most applications that open the 'Wave 0/1' device in 'stereo' or 'mono' mode are not affected by software processing because it is automatically turned off". I don't really understand the last bit, but assuming SX does open the Wav 0/1 device, are we not sending ASIO and Wave to the same bus. Is this optimal? Would it be better to choose (say) KX Out 11/12 for all outputs? For a test, I tried a different bus with for MIDI- used KX Out 10. Sound came out of FXBus10 as expected, but also out of 2/3. So, if it by default comes out of 2/3 AND I connect the ASIO Output up to KX Out 2/3, is it not connected twice? Is this something to worry about or not?

I know this is all now to me, but having read a lot about FX, I thought I'd have got the hang of it by now!! For example, the help says: "All streams route to bus 13/14 by default, which acts like send/return for reverb and chorus effects in the default setup." but I have monitored 13/14 output and don't see any output..??? Anyone help with my understanding of this???

2. Soeren_B

Soeren_B kX Project DSP Engineer

Hi,

Normally you will not need more than one stereo output from your ASIO host (Cubase, Nuendo, etc.)

But there are cases, for instance:
    - Situations where you need more than 2 speakers, like surround mixing
    - If you want to use kX DSP effects from within your program.

HTH
    Soeren