Do I need to bother with Realtek Audio Manager?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by SeanPatrick, Feb 14, 2013.

1. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

Hey there, I've got a p877 v Pro motherboard, and just installed the Realtek Audio Manager for the heck of it to see if it made a difference. It doesn't seem to make one over the already installed generic hd audio driver. I've got hdmi audio / video running out of my 7870 xt gpu anyways, and the sound manager included in the program only seems to be of use if I'm using the spdif outputs on the motherboard, which I'm not. Is there a reason to use this software?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yes it does make a difference.. the generic driver has very little support for the other functions of the audio chip.. it provides BASIC analog output.

It's like comparing it to just sticking with the generic WDDM 1.1 drive for NVidia or ati video card.... for the most part they still do their job.. but it's SERIOUSLY limited in capabilities/performance and other functionalities.

Just make sure you have the latest realtek driver like you would for graphics card.... install.. and then setup what you need via the audio manager.

Once that's done.. you can remove the realtek related items from starting up.

The DTS-Connect functionality is EXTREMELY handy for those using coax/fiber digital connections to their stereos.... otherwise you'd be forced to use analog for 5.1 audio all the time.

3. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

Yeah I know that board said it had dts connect functionality, but I just figured since I use hdmi out that wouldn't matter. I mean, if I am watching a DTS movie, wouldn't that just decode through one of the codecs then be played back on my 7.1 anyways? I've got the HDMI to a 7.1 receiver, so I guess I don't understand how having the dts connect functionality on would make a difference, even if I knew where to find it. Is it on passively in the backround somewhere? even though I have my onboard sound disabled?

I went ahead and configured 7.1 speakers through sound manager, and indeed I'm getting M in 7.1 showing up on my PC receiver input display, but when I playback a movie with DTS encoding before that, I still got dts sound anyways - So if nothing else I like that fact it says 7.1 just on principal, but does it make a difference other than that?

Sorry for the confusion lol. But I guess I just don't understand setting up a driver for a motherboard feature ( onboard audio ) when I use HDMI out on the Gpu - But again it does say 7.1. One drawback is for some reason now on my Denon it only gives me the option of selecting Multi In 7.1, where as before It let me choose Multi in Dolby pll2, and Dolby in Matrix... What the hell? I tried configuring the speakers back to only a stereo setup in sound manager and indeed it gave me back the options for Dolbly PLIIx - and indeed this sounds better, I assume because the PL2 is taking the stereo and splitting it into different speakers via the Receiver - where as when the receiver sees 7.1, it assumes it's getting a 7.1 signal and doesn't need to split it. Which with music of course being in Stereo this is not the case. I wonder what the benefit is of having it see the 7.1 Multi in then?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013