Do you believe in possibility of life in other galaxies?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by bearnard bale, Mar 29, 2021.

1. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

With over a hundred billion galaxies in the universe. It is hard for me to believe that there is not at least one other solar system with life. Especially, when some scientists claim that they have already found some exoplanets that can be like Earth.

arb65912 likes this.
  2. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

I am sure there are some life forms out there but the problem is the distance.
    All is so far apart that to figure out what is there we would have to find a way to travel way faster than we do now.
    All information that gets to us travels with light speed and we are talking from minutes to millions of years so there is not really any way to say what it is THERE NOW.
    Very fascinating subject though. :)

bearnard bale likes this.
  3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

there's no reason why our own galaxy wouldn't be teeming with life. Other galaxy more or less so.

4. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

Actually, Scientists found recently an exoplanet that reminds Earth and there is a possibility that some forms of life can live there. I don`t expect that there lives something intelligent like human life though.

5. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

I guess that some forms of life can exist even on Mars. As scientists found water ( ice ) on the red planet so it`s possible that some organisms or forms of life can be found there. Probably Perseverance mission can found something

arb65912 likes this.
  6. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

May be you are right. Personally, I tend to believe that some forms of live can live on some of these exoplanets that were discovered by scientists but I don`t expect that there live something intelligent like human life though.

arb65912 likes this.
  7. Judas

They are finding hundreds of "goldilocks" planets some of which are rather very nearby. Rocky planets of which range from half or 1/3rd the size of earth to upwards of 15 times larger. Densities within range as well. While extremaphiles are well known enough now to think that life can exist well outside of the goldilocks zones, finding planets within the zone, specially if it happens to have any moons, substantially increases the potential for life to exist in some form. Intelligence is another manner, be it way ahead of us or still stone age or further behind.

It's rather absurd for anyone to presume or even propose/proclaim that we are likely the only ones in the galaxy let alone the universe.

8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I would be greatly shocked if our planet would be the only place in the entire universe that has intelligent life.

AND, since there is likely, at the very least, micro-organisms on planets nearby, my own, PERSONAL, concern is that there are endeavors to bring ANY OF IT back to earth. Just thinking what COVID-19 has done in a little over a year to our way of life, raises an immense amount of concern on my part as to what could become of our own life if something completely alien gets loose here.

9. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

Look what I found! The researchers found that if a theoretical twin of Earth were placed into a binary star system – where two stars orbit each other – up to 87% of them should tilt on their axes in a way similar to Earth’s. What’s more, the tilt should be as stable as Earth’s: not perfectly stable, but not wildly unstable, either. https://earthsky.org/space/exoplanets-axial-tilt-evolution-of-complex-life-earth

10. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

I think we can assume that some forms can live on this Earth-alike planet. However, we should not hurry with conclusions. This planet is far away and we cannot claim for sure that this is actually an Earth-alike planet.

11. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I am not sure if there is life even on this galaxy.

More and more I feel the whole thing being a construct, a simulation if you prefer.

12. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

I wanna add some more information I`ve recently found ( a few hours ago ). According to Kepler Data, there are about 40 billion Earth-like planets orbiting Sun-like stars, with similar sizes to our own, just in the Milky Way.
    Then consider there are hundreds of billions to trillions of galaxies. Judging by this statement intelligent life can really exist somewhere

13. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Like others have already said, there is most probably life in other parts of the universe, traversing the space between on the other hand is a great undertaking. Even traveling really fast (the speed of light) it would take 100s or 1000s of years to get from one point to another.

bearnard bale and arb65912 like this.
  14. arb65912

Not 1000s, millions and billions. It just simply blows my mind off how "empty' the space really is and how dynamic as well.

We are just a grain of sand, actually much less than that is a desert. It is totally amazing since you start thinking and trying to realize that.

bearnard bale and Calliers like this.
  15. Judas

more recent astronomy has determined that the space between solar systems is far from empty as initially thought. With more recent telescopes, they've been discovering that there is a hell of a lot of material along with brown dwarfs, stars, planets that are traveling in the "empty" space between. OF which they know of some cases where some ejected brown or red dwarfs or even some full blown stars from their original solar system have carried with them some planets/moons very capable of sustaining life.

The more we gain for being able to view the universe clearer, with greater detail, the more they find it's not remotely as empty as proposed.

bearnard bale and arb65912 like this.
  16. arb65912

We have to remember one thing though... all w see is the past raging from few minutes in solar system to millions years ago.

Assuming that we do know speed of light, that is how long the light we see through going to our telescopes needs to get from there to us.

Saying empty, I meant not a life forms but distances between objects.

This is one of the most intriguing subjects anyway.

17. center_table

center_table Member

I agree with your opinion. It is really intriguing to know that there's a planet that is capable to adopt human lives or even have, only in my opinion.

arb65912 likes this.
  18. clubrope

clubrope Active Member

I am 100% believing in the possibility of life in other galaxies. Life is energy and when there is energy there is life. As what Nikola Tesla said, "In order for us to understand the universe, we must think in terms of energy, frequency, and vibration."

arb65912 likes this.
  19. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

Yeah, you are right, even if we could travel at the speed of light it will take us too much time to get to the planet where we can assume some forms of life can exist. But still, I like the idea that probably some forms of life ( probably even intelligent might exist ) Maybe someday we will get to know it for sure)

20. bearnard bale

bearnard bale Member

That is a piece of good information. But still, we can only presume that life can exist there because these planets are too far. I think probably such space missions like James Webb Space Telescope the most expensive and the most advanced telescope by NASA or Ariel space telescope and, it has the same purpose as James Webb Space Telescope to search for planets found beyond our solar system, otherwise known as exoplanets or extrasolar planets. I guess such technology will give us a hint at where life can exist and open more exoplanets.
    https://www.skyrora.com/blog/uk-space-news
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Webb_Space_Telescope

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021