Do You DEFRAG? And How Often if You Do?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Apr 16, 2007.

?

Do you Defrag your HDD/s

1. Yes, regularly

24 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Yes, occasionally

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. Yes, when I think about it

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. No, never

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. technonerd

technonerd New Member

I defrag monthly, used Diskeeper.

2. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

I just defragged my SD card on my PDA :p

3. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Man, I freakin' HATE April Fools day stuff. What a drag. :(

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Actually, this particular magazine is one I've been reading for over three years now. I actually enjoy reading the problems that have been posted and this guy's responses to them. He's really 'dead on' most of the time. But, he has an ornery streak in him and he does his replies with some insults most of the time. However, it's 'tongue-in-cheek' type insults and people feel they haven't been treated properly if they haven't been raked over the coals royally by him.

Anyway, I did miss the original article where he did say that it's a waste of time to Defrag the hard drive. That's one issue I couldn't get my hands on while the store was going through remodeling. So, I'd have missed this whole thing if it weren't for the person who wrote to call him on the carpet about the conflict with the other article.

AND, this was all written long before April. :)

I'll do some digging and see if I can come up with any other type of explanation from him as to why he believes it's a waste of time.

Stay tuned....

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

damn straight, defrag the HD's at least once a week keeps the system running smoothly PLUS, doing it that often usually results in a defrag taking only a few minutes IF that, instead of quite a few minutes to even an hour or better

6. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

I was beginning to wonder if there's any point in defragging before, too. I defrag maybe once every couple/few months, just if it ever pops in my head. I don't notice any difference really between before and after defragging, I don't know if it's because modern hard drives are so fast, or what. I guess there's a few other people like me, too.

(I use Windows and/or O&O Defrag. I do have all my data in separate partitions, though.)

7. Just Learnin'

Just Learnin' New Member

8. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

I defrag all the time. I used to do it manually every few weeks, but since I bought Diskeeper 10.. I have it automaticly defrag when my screensaver starts.. very cool program and I ALWAYS have a 'fresh' system now. Great program.

9. Da_Jewish_Fonzy

Da_Jewish_Fonzy Me>You

I play alot of games, installing games and drivers and removing them plus I download large files and remove them frequently. So I defrag around once per 5 days or so. I notice a boost in gaming performance for sure.

10. Vampyromaniac

Well did a quick test, 37 days since last defrag. Boot time tested with bootvis. Before defrag: 46.73 s. After defrag: 46.35 s. And as usual no noticeable difference in regular usage. Meh.

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

depending on the programs you use, defraging once and then defragmenting afterwards isn't going to change much.

Usually fragmentation would occur due to download/deleteing files regularly, installing and uninstalling things, depending on the location of swapfile and numerous other things would effect it.

Reason i put my swap file on a seperate partition all the time, swap file has a habit of tearing shit up badly.

12. ZzzombieBunny

ZzzombieBunny Cake or Death?

ive split my hdds up in several partitions to make things easier and faster to defragment. etc one partition for windows, one for programs, one for games, one for downloads, one for storage.

Its hard to measure the effects of fragmentation in real life usage, but things defintly run smoother on my system than my brothers who just has all his junk on the same partition and defrags once every 6months.

13. RaveneR

RaveneR New Member

i agree with your statement, its easier to managed the drive when you have it in smaller partitions for each individual segment of your needs, since you can do other things while one partition is being formatted(provided your CPU is either dual core or fast enough not to affect your work), saves more time.

14. Vampyromaniac

Yeah, that's the only reason I could come up with for why defragging wasn't making much of a difference for me... that I have all the data separated in multiple partitions.