Do you plan on upgrading your video card this year?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by HardwareHeaven, Apr 14, 2009.

?

Do you plan on upgrading your video card this year?

1. Yes, it will be ATI

11 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. Yes, it will be Nvidia

10 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. maybe, but I dont like ATI or Nvidia !

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Im waiting on Intel's Larrabee

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. No, I just upgraded

17 vote(s)
    28.8%
  6. No, they cost too much

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  7. No need to upgrade

14 vote(s)
    23.7%
  1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I'm in the same position, also thanks to DH. If I don't upgrade this PC any further, I might even put the 9800 in my next PC further down the line, as I only gae at 1440x900, and for the games I play the card is monstrous overkill.

Sounds like fun! Just on a side note though, you can use any memory with SLI btw - "SLI ready" has nothing to do with SLI, it just means Nvidia approved.

2. lepel

lepel New Member

So any idea what you shall be getting?

btw, did you buy that ikari mouse already, or did you not get enough salary last thursday? ;)

3. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

have just upgraded to a 4850 and I love it to bits! No going back to the x1950xt I had, this is much better! :)
    It will be a long time before I upgrade again, or maybe a 2nd 4580 first.. This'll probably last for a year :D

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

ah.. ok..... i thought the 3870 and 4870 supported nearly all the dx11 features..

obviously nothing out today supports the one major feature that dx11 is pushing and that's Ray Tracing... Intels Lebrea (spelling) however is saposed to

5. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Nice to see you are paying attention. intels "larrabee" is a poll option ;)

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

it's morning yet.. i won't be waking up completely for another 3 hours

7. BWX

BWX get out and ride

No, they cost too much-

I'm saving for a nice car. Maybe next year. I feel as though I got ripped off buying expensive video cards over the past few years- they just make games that kill the card 6 months later- and then Nvidia quite supporting drivers for your "new 500 dollar video card" way to early. ATI doesn't seem to have the right price/performance ratio yet like they used to either.

8. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Why are you saying that DX11 is pushing ray tracing? Nothing in it about that.

BTW, DX11 as an API will support all card levels that have pixel shader 2 and up, so a D3D11 programmer would be able to use the same API to program for all cards. However, there would be a serious limitations on the features that could be used on these cards. The 4xx0 family does have a lot of advanced features, but it's not "full DX11".

9. lepel

lepel New Member

Where did you get one of those? ;)

10. aimless45

aimless45 New Member

No need to upgrade for me until more games are released that really pushes the limits of my current setup.

11. PH3N0M

PH3N0M The Master of Sarcasm

I'd have to agree with everything others have stated. It's pointless to purchase new hardware when there's very few games/apps which fully support DX10. Having just spent $800 on new gfx cards not too long ago, I'll be waiting awhile before I upgrade.

12. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

It was the "typo faries' the live in my Kebord...they sumtimez muve eht keez aroumd :mad:

iT sud hav been 3870 Z2 :D

13. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

LOL those fairies permanently reside in my keyboard :D

For me I want to pick up another 4870 so I can try Crossfire out I can't really utilize the full potential though until I get larger monitors. I am also looking hard at the GTX 275 I am very impressed with it and it would run along side my 9600GT (dedicated PhysX) quite nicely on the other machine.

14. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Me too. The one that has "Win an ASUS ENGTX275 with Fuse Protection Technology" written under its picture. :)

Sorry, I'm just a sucker for these DH competitions. One can never win enough graphics cards, I say.

15. chaitanyaraghav

chaitanyaraghav New Member

i voted for Ati because for my budget i am planning to go for an 4650. previously i had actually planned to go for the 9500 GT.
    still didnt confirm on Ati or Nvidia so "yes,but maybe Ati or Nvidia" should have been there.

16. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Probably not.

I'm at the point where putting anything much more powerful in my DFI Ultra-D board is going to by CPU limited for pretty much everything.

I'm done school in a year, and no idea where I'm moving to after that, so I'm not buying a new desktop that I'll have to lug around.

17. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I'll probably be upgrading this year. Sooner rather than later. Just trying to get a GTX285 at a good price. Thought about a GTX295, but to be honest I've heard to many people having heat issues, and I'm at a point stress wise that I'd rather just play my games than to fight with my system just to play my games.

On a side note, I was going to do a system update, but decided to sell off my E8400, and pickup a Q9650 instead. Intels' replacement Smackover 2 boards will be out soon, the ones that are supposed to incorporate the Lucid Hydra chip, and when that happens I'll be moving to i7, and my gaming rig will become my main machine.

18. Bolletje

Bolletje New Member

Hmm, nah probaly not this year, not even next year. I'm almost done with school (only one year) and then I want to go to college or I will join the army. Those both options are both in an other city so I won't be a lot at home. Little bit 'not-done' if you consider that a good gaming system costs a lot of money. Maybe when I'm finished I will make a comeback :p

19. Dr. Mindbender

Dr. Mindbender New Member

I have used NVIDIA for years and feel its time to give ATI a chance. That 4890 seems to be doing very well.

20. Iria

Iria New Member

I plan on upgrading my gaming laptop :eek: