Do you use an Antivirus Program?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by cozumel, May 13, 2007.

?

Do you have antirus software installed on your rig?

1. Yes, its absolutely vital for security

81.4%
  2. Yes, but I'm not sure what a virus is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, its not needed and is a waste of money

16.3%
  4. No, what's a virus and what does it do?

2.3%
  1. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

I was browsing through HardForum and it appears that a significant number of their members, for whatever reason, don't have any antivirus software installed.

So now I'm curious.

Please feel free to vote in this poll.

Edit: Wasn't sure to whether to post in the software forum but thought that more people visit off-topic. Please move this poll if you feel it is appropriate. Thanks

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  2. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

I don't use one, I'm careful in my computer use, keep everything up to date, and have never inadvertantly installed a virus on any of my computers.

However, I'd say they're necessary for the majority of computer users.

Not sure what I should vote for, as neither of the "No" options really matches my opinion.

3. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Kaspersky ftw!

4. jp306

jp306 New Member

I voted yes, but I wouldn't pay for it. There are some good free Antivirus Programs out there like Avast(That's what I use) and AVG.

5. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

I think someone would be a real doofweener if they chose not to use AV.
    just my two cents really.

6. EcPercy

EcPercy Well-Known Member

Been running AVG for awhile now.

I could get SAV from work free, but I see no reason to use it since SAV seems to think it needs to disable Windows Defender (in Vista) in order to run.

7. cozumel

Wouldn't that be the "No, I don't need one" option.

BTW, how do you know you haven't got any viruses?

8. cozumel

Agreed. That's what I hate about these goddam polls. There's no going back to edit the options.

9. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

I use avast and have for years. I wouldn't run my system without AV, no reason to not have it installed.

10. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Yes, it would be the "No, I don't need one" option, except I don't see any option with that wording in the poll. I don't think they're not needed or a waste of money in general, I just don't need one personally.

A virus wouldn't be doing much if I did have any, everything runs as it shoulds, I know what all my running processes are, I monitor all my network activity, I'm networked to computers with AV programs in my house with which I share large amounts of files.

11. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Zelig you are just asking for trouble. No reason whatsoever to not use at least a free anti virus.

12. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Heres a good reason blue. :)

Im currently using linux as my main operating system and while yes there are linux based virus' its no where near as risky as keeping a windows based pc antivirus free. While on a windows box I rely on a free AV

13. Hurock

Hurock New Member

Yes, proud user of NOD32!

14. Da_Jewish_Fonzy

Da_Jewish_Fonzy Me>You

15. cozumel

Thats another option I should have had. I dual boot with XP or Linux and probably use each os on 50/50 basis. I don't have any AV protection on Linux as the risk is minimal. I use NOD32 for XP.

16. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Its a social thing, like running linux. it is perseved as being extremely cool. If you don't use an antivirus client you are "able" to deal with anything thrown at you, manually, whether it is email viruses, malcious scripts on websites or trojans. You are also able to double your frame rate because you have one less running process and another 50k of available memory.

I have a friend, who dual boots windows and a linux distro and told me for years he never needed an antivirus client on windows, he is a self proclaimed "guru". which is great, until 5 years later he lost most of the files on his hard drives due to a rogue virus he mistakenly opened. Of course he blamed his sister.

I found it quite hilarious.

17. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I use Symantec Anti-Virus 10 Corporate Edition on all my personal machines, and I usually install BitDefender 8 Free Edition or AVG Free on all the machines I sell unless a client has purchased one. Along with that I usually install XoftSpy, Spybot S&D, and SpywareBlaster with the last 2 on clients machines too (since they're free).

However, on the other 4 machines at work I run different AV on each, such as Kaspersky Internet Security, Trend Micros PC-cillin Internet Security, which are the best 2 I have ever used, and McAfee Internet Security and Panda Platinum, which are the cheapest OEM software you can buy, and the ones people buy the most. The main reason is that I sell those AV software, and I need to know how they run for when a client calls if they ever have an issue with it. Although, I usually shy people away from Panda these days though due to their incompetence. They once had a great AV software, but now, they suck. They have the worst customer service out of all AV suppliers, and have consistent issues with their registration/cdkey system where their 1 year subscriptions end in 90 days (and they are unwilling to resolve the issue with you). If you buy it once from them your fine for the year. Renew it, or buy a new version, your screwed.

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  18. Grace

Grace HH's Tomboy

I don't care that much about AV and Anti-Spyware software, but I always keep AVG installed. It's free and it doesn't consume a lot of resources. There is no reason at all why not to install it.

19. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

That is sooo f'in true and hilarious....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

20. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

No, its not needed and is a waste of money

Haven't used one forever and still don't. I reformat enough it doesn't matter.