Do you use an Antivirus Program?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by cozumel, May 13, 2007.

?

Do you have antirus software installed on your rig?

1. Yes, its absolutely vital for security

81.4%
  2. Yes, but I'm not sure what a virus is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, its not needed and is a waste of money

16.3%
  4. No, what's a virus and what does it do?

2.3%
  1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

well im not sure how free clients are a waste of money, but then again you are very cool gutterpunk so I guess its fitting with your image :p

u = greatest dude

2. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

hey..it's the 1337 thing to do..lol

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  3. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Absolutely critical for anyone who might ask me to help when their system acts wierdly. Just not any Norton security suites or I'll eventually get questions about that instead... Lately I've only used Avast for manual scanning on my own system. AVG Free on others.

4. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Well, last time I had checked, there wasn't any 64-bit compatible free (nor any commercial solutions that I felt like trying) AV software, I see Avast has added support.

I back everything up though, my hard drives in this computer could all die simultaneously, and I'd just be inconvenienced with the time it would take to order new drives and copy everything back over.

5. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

NOD32 is Vista 64-bit compatible. :)

6. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

The Hand of Nod32 protects my PC.

7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I can understand that if you format your computer all the time that you might think you don't need it, or that you backup your computer all the time so that if you ever got a virus you could afford to redo everything in a heart beat. However, what IF your backedup data was, or always has been infected? If you've never had an AV software installed on your PC you'd never know you had a virus, right? Then, once you accessed the data on that drive or media you run the risk of reinfection, but then, you'd never know until it's too late. All you'd know is that your PC is running slow, or there is too much internet traffic, so you decide to backup your data, again, which could be infected, again, and reformat/install.

Also, you can look at the startup programs all you want, being careful of what gets installed, or what processes are running, but if it's a rookit, something of which is very rampantly running around right now, you would never know it's there, because in most cases it hides itself even from the OS itself. Besides which, did you know there are a dozen startup locations within Windows that can be used for launching programs and viruses? Places like the print spooler? Not to mention about the same amount of files that can be used for the same purpose? Probably not, right? Well most AV software do. By the time you figure it out things will have gotten out of hand, and all your data could be compromised. Hell, not to mention any data you sent to others could be too.

Free is free. Sure, with a free AV software comes a certain level of protection, maybe less than what you'd get if you paid for it, but why risk anything when it's not costing you a thing for even the slightest bit of protection?

8. mike2h

mike2h New Member

iguess as long as u dont email & tranfer progs,etc to other peeps comps having no av is ok. but anybody that emails on a reg basis & gives files to other peeps in whatever fashion & doesnt have av installed is just an ass imo.

9. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

You don't need to transfer files to get infected. It is possible to visit a web site and still get infected without clicking on any link.

Zelig, I can't comment on the 64bit bit, but if you have a virus and you constantly back up your data, how on Earth do you know that you don't already have a virus not only on your PC but also on all your data?

10. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

huh Me I never had virus in years which is truth lol Unless you go bad sites that try highjack your IE lol. Me I used all kinds virus protection I have fix it pro 2007 avg scans all the time and for firewall I used Zonealarm SI or Mcafee totat protection even though I got for free after rebates. I just hate because you can't shut it down like ZASS do. So I'm going back to ZASS because I have a free full year a key I beta tested them :) still good hehe. And you can shut off you play games and stuff but since I won that free router from zonelabs which has build in firewall and anti virus I'm total protection now lol I'd can't wait get my wireless boardband :D This Wed afternoon.

11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I absolutely DO....and it doesn't cost me anything.

I also use AD-Aware SE, and CCleaner constantly.

12. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

There's simply no intelligent argument for "it's not needed and is a waste of money" because even simple web browsing and email usage will expose any PC to tons of viruses. Not surprisingly, only one person voted for that option (probably a MAC user :D)

13. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Not to hijack this thread, but I was just wondering what peoples opinions would be of the available anti-virus software out there? Specifically:

1) What is, in your opinion, the best in each category (Firewall and Anti-whatever)?
    2) The ones you have chosen, how are they on resources?
    3) What is the best "all around" program that covers everything?
    4) If you like using individual products for specific jobs, what have you found to be the most effective combination of products?

You don't have to answer all the questions, only the ones relevant to yourself... or none at all. ;)

Why the distinctions? I've pretty much tried every piece of AV software out there due to personal and professional needs, and I almost always find that very few are great at doing everything. Some are great in the AV department, but way to bloody paranoid in everything else (Kaspersky and PC-cillin for instance). Some are the opposite, where their AV is adequate, but their Firewall is better (such as McAfee). In my case I like adding my own personal touch to things, picking the best or the most effective products in each category, and mixing them together. 'Course, that means picking software that can coexist with others of it's kind.

So, any opinions?

14. Vampyromaniac

Vampyromaniac confutatis maledictis

Matches me exactly, every sentence.

But I'm not cool, I just don't care. And/Or I'm stupid. Maybe I'll learn my lesson the first time I lose some data or something bad happens. But it hasn't happened yet, and I don't know how many years I've used computers.

And yes it is hilarious when a reckless loud-mouth evetually infiects himself. Also amusing are paranoia-mongers.

15. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I too have tried nearly all of the available antivirus packages, some which included internet security and others that were stand alone virus scanners. During that time I've had nothing but favourable things to say about each of them until the moment they failed me. Not that I always got infected, sometimes there would be a major feature lacking or the scanner would have problems with certain types of files those kinds of things.

So far, Nod32 has met all my needs of being low cpu usage, realtime internet and local file scanning, and regularly scores high in testing. I've been using it for about a year and a half paired up with Sunbelts Kerio Personal Firewall and found them to make a good match.

16. caqde

caqde Active Member

For antivirus software I use Nod32. It has continuously proven to be an effective anti-virus program and comes at a price I can afford. It is lightweight and easy on the memory. And software upgrades are FREE with your license. They are moving upto version 3.0 and from what I know my license will allow me to use the Standalone Antivirus version of 3.0 (They are making a firewall/antivirus software package that is currently in Beta ver 1a and very buggy.... at this moment). Nod32 2.7 has some Anti-spyware abilities and from what I know 3.0 should(will) be much better at it. So because of this and other reasons this is my best pick for an Anti-Virus program.

For firewall well I really haven't done anything here so I decline to comment (not very knowledgeable in this area anyways..)

17. zaim

zaim Well-Known Member

18. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

I know Im the greatest dude :p

I just copied/pasted the voting phrase.

The real reason is, since i format so much this = one less thing to install and keep track of :D

I don't have anything on my computer that is deemed worthy of backing up or needing to restore. Although it may sound ignorant to not use an AV, but I don't fileshare, I don't go much further than DH on the web, and I play a butt load of games. I really don't know why I don't use and AV, just I haven't forever! Also I have McAfee's SDATS that I could run if I ever question.

19. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Personally, I think you have to be nuts checking emails without an AV:) I have never seen viruses/trojans other than in some spam emails I get. I also do almost all my banking and bill payments online so I am a little on the cautious side.
    My security protection includes Kaspersky internet security, webroot spysweeper, and firefox with NoScript.

20. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

I check my hotmail, in which I don't open crap that I dont know or even question.