Do you use an Antivirus Program?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by cozumel, May 13, 2007.

?

Do you have antirus software installed on your rig?

1. Yes, its absolutely vital for security

81.4%
  2. Yes, but I'm not sure what a virus is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, its not needed and is a waste of money

16.3%
  4. No, what's a virus and what does it do?

2.3%
  1. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

1. Firewall: Jetico Personal Firewall, anti-virus: AAPEC, I believe Kaspersky is the best, anti-spyware: Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D is good too.

2. JPF: disk space 2.13 MB, RAM 6.4 MB. I run a Ad-Aware check only when needed so its resource usage is not important for me (around 30 MB while working).

3. I don't like "all around" programs. Maybe because I have seen only some Norton security package (I don't know what version) in action and my impression was it is just a "resource hog".

As an anti-virus i have the Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic (free) installed, but I seldom use it, because I don't visit/download anything "funny". :)

Low resources requirements are essential for me, I think it's because I grew up on 386sx with 8 MB RAM, manually configuring it to get a few more bytes of free memory for loading the mouse+sound driver and some game simultaneously (hmmm Cannon Fodder :)).

I could just repeat what Zelig said in post #2. I have never seen a virus/spyware on my computer.

2. Babalou

Babalou New Member

always have!
    Guests use my pc at times, so its a valid precaution. :)

Edit: I use Eset's NOD32, never had any problems with this one, and it has a good track record.

3. zexx11

zexx11 Member

It`s a waste of time,money and a system leech.Occasionly for ***** and giggles I use a free online scanner.Here`s what I gain in performance:[​IMG]

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Well, today I've officially abandoned BitDefender 8 Free Edition. I've been installing this thing for the last month (based on recommendations) on every machine I sell for those that are not willing to pay for an AV software, and I never realized it until today: it has NO ACTIVE VIRUS SCANNER! My jaw nearly dropped when I saw that I couldn't activate the Active Virus Shield (never noticed it before), and then I read the side panel that says I have to either pay for the Standard or Professional Editions to get it. The only damn thing this is good for is as a scanning tool. That's it. Total waste of time.

BitDefender, you bloody well need to put it on your site that BitDefender Free has no active scanning. Even though you don't list as being in there almost everyone is going to assume it's there, because it's in almost every scanning software out there, and if it's not, IT'S LISTED AS NOT BEING IN THERE!!

Sooo... suffice it to say I'm going back to using Avast! for the people that have no problem registering for their free 1 year license, and AVG Free for all the rest.

5. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Hah, I had to look up modicum, haven't seen that word used very often.

After reading this thread, I looked around a bit, and realized I have free access to Symantec corporate AV. Fiddled around a bit, it's got full support for 64-bit Windows OS's, and is actually a lot nicer than the standard NAV bundle. :)

6. Tipstaff

Yeah... stupid me. <sigh> I should have put 2 and 2 together, but like I said, I went by someone elses recommendation without researching it a bit more. I mean... no wonder it was resource friendly, because it's not even bloody doing anything 'cept looking pretty on my taskbar.

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

This kind of situation really burns me up when a company isn't forthcoming with information that absolutely should be given prominent notice to the consumer.

I have access to free AV and Firewall with my ISP account. So, I use that on all my own computers.

For my family, I've had them using the free AVG for a few years now.

I've also had them (and me) using AD-AWARE SE. But, do you think they use it? They think it works in the background like an AV program. I keep having to remind them to run the program and update it consistently.

Just today I was helping my daughter get her Internet connection back up and running (bad cable maybe shorted out by lightning) and started up her AD-AWARE. The definitions were 84 DAYS OLD. That's probably how long it's been since I looked at her computer last.

Anyway, as long as there are skunks trying to smell up the works on our PCs, we need some protection. So, an AV program is a MUST in my book.

8. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

9. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

never needed any anti-virus..... have no reason for it at this point.

Critical information is backed up at intervals. Usually can be all fit onto a single CD.

Quite often, alot of john/jane Doe's think that if they have antivirus protection, that they can do and open and go anwhere they want without a worry, then they wonder why there machine is horribly infected or everything is simply gone. (and slow)...

I excersize extreme caution, i don't use sharing folders, i don't download much of anything other then from official sites, and i never use email if i can help it.

11. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

That means you can now vote :)

12. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

Judas: How do you know that your backups are not infected? A free AV program with a small footprint surely wouldn't have a noticeable negative effect on your rig. IMO Having no protection at all could potentially harm you and your friends.

13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I do have one machine that has AVG installed currently, and most of my scannings i do is usually through PCPitstop.com's online antivirus.

I've encounter a few times where the pcpitstop has found a virus that norton has not. (not on my own machines mind you)

Actually i've encounter problems WITH norton's internet secuirty, people have actually brought in thier machines to try and get rid of it (cause the uninstaller had screwed up or something as well)

No, i recommend anyone looking for anti-virus, to just go and get the FREE AVG....

14. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

I found it moot and useless. If anyone can name a virus that affects OpenBSD off the top of their heads, congrats :p

Much the same with Linux. I've switched all XP machines to Xubuntu right now so I'm actually doing pretty good sans virus scanner :)

15. Grace

Grace HH's Tomboy

Diesel, Adore, VCT, VIT, Lion (linux), Ramen (linux)....hmmm...I cannot remember any more right now. It's 1.15AM, mind you.:p

True enough, Linux and especially OpenBSD are much (MUCH) better than any Windows version when it comes to online/virus security. That doesn't mean they are impossible to breach though, or else applications like the Vexira and F-Secure for Linux servers wouldn't have a reason to exist at all.

16. Tipstaff

17. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

well, depend on how you look at it. there can be a lot of fact (and/or fiction) which can be generated by anyone, including the people of the software product themself, Tips.
    and as it may well be that they never wanted to complete this software product with other people's product in the first place. i think, unless/unlike it's not there, since the particularly info (regarding the description of the software product) is there. so i think the rest is, everyone must take responsibility for themselves.

btw, i already voted the Yes, its absolutely vital for security.

18. caqde

caqde Active Member

After seeing all the problems that crop up in my schools "open" machines that use Free AVG I wouldn't recommend that program to anyone. I put a 30day trial of Nod32 on those machines (because they had serious virus problems) and Nod32 found 15+ virus's that Free AVG missed altogether after I restarted the computer (a few after it started up and the rest after an update and a scan). I think I have done this 3 separate times on those computers. I don't know why they think Free AVG works for them after those computers continuously get infected. And this is a "Computer Technology" school I am going too......

I will admit though Free AVG is better than nothing, but it is definitely not the best or for that matter even in the running for best.

19. alibaba24

alibaba24 New Member

I don't

I just don't need to use it, it just slows me down! Nowadays the worst problem is spyware/trojan/adware. The classic virus are getting lost, but they exist although. In my case I know when "someone" is abusing my cpu or mem or other. I think the firewall is more important than the anti-virus. :hmm:

20. Fuzyhamster

Fuzyhamster New Member

I don't use an antivirus and have never had any problems. I DO have free AVG installed, but only to periodically check to make sure everything is OK, which it always has been. AntiVirus programs can use up a large amount of CPU and power and RAM and conflicts with programs aaaaaand I'd rather not deal with it. I haven't had any problems - 3 years and no viruses. ^_^