Do you wear glasses?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Oct 18, 2021.

?

Do you wear glasses?

1. Yes, I do wear them

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No, I don't wear glasses

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I wear glasses, and sometimes contacts

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. I prefer contacts

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. I don't wear them, but I think I may need them in future

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. My vision is near 20/20 and no I don't wear them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. My vision isn't the best but I almost never wear my glasses

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. I used to wear glasses/contacts then I had lasik surgery to correct my vision

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. I hope I never have to wear glasses

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I wear cosmetic glasses as a fashion accessory or I want to wear glasses as I think they look cool

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

You wear them or nay? I basically never used to wear my glasses, but as of around last week my vision got to the point that now I am practically blind without them, so now I have to almost always have them on to see anything or read anything, especially when I am at my computer or when I am playing video games. I can get away with wearing them still while watching a show but most of the time I wear them.

I like my glasses as I think they complement my looks and prefer them to contacts (which I would have to remove and put back all the time). I have several pairs of glasses but only one of them has my current prescription lenses in them so I am sort of limited to those, I'll probably get around to changing the other frames lenses some time soon so I have some choice when it comes to which pair I wear.

When I first started wearing glasses I didn't like how I had to look through the lenses to get a good view even though now I am used to re-adjusting them and looking through the lenses even if I may be lying down. Thankfully I don't have to wear them when I am reading my Kindle as basically I made the text big enough that I can see it just fine, and it is nice and bright enough as well.

My mum doesn't wear glasses and has near perfect vision but my dad's vision is horrible and he needs his glasses almost all the time. My little brother wears glasses, and one of my little sisters wanted to wear glasses so she basically faked that she couldn't see stuff just to get them but of course the eye strain wore her out and eventually she stopped wearing them and admitted she didn't need them. I think these days she doesn't wear any glasses. My other little sister wears glasses however, my youngest one, and she on the other hand needs them. Other than that I think none of my other big or little siblings wear them.

The main reason I hated wearing them was having to keep them spotless all the time, but this time around I spent the extra to get those really nice lenses that are like dust resistant and all that so they rarely get messy, and I have to wipe them rarely. I am really thankful I did do that, it was worth every penny. I just wish I had spent the extra to make them dimming too so that if I went outside they would dim and then in a bright room they would go clear again.

2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

I only have usuable vision in my right eye, my left eye has about 10% peripheral vision and that's it so its not at a point that I can use it to read or drive. So all my day to day is managed through my right eye and I wear a monthly disposable contact lens in that eye, insert lens on 1st of month then sleep in it and wear it for a month then change

for close up reading I put glasses on in addition to the lens, with only 1 working eye the laser surgery is not really an option in case of error

My son has 20/20 vision, My mum worse glasses my dad I dont know I cant recall ever seeing him in any but have very little memory of him, My 3 sisters not for day to day but possibly for reading my brother ...again I have no idea

Hate my glasses though

Calliers likes this.
  3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

couple of school bullies held me down when i was in grade 4 and one of them sliced my right eye, due to that injury, my eyesight was destroyed requiring corrective lenses.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  4. Mr Cairo

Holy fuck Judas thats awful :(

5. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

I have been wearing Glasses for the last three years.. But Mainly Reading / Computer Use including gaming on the PC. Any writing within a 12" or so i can't read it without straining to do so.

For me it is more possibly down to Age related allowances....

I think it is time to get a re-test soon as covid lock downs hindered the ability to get a appointment until recently...

Calliers likes this.
  6. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

Sorry to hear that dude :-\.

I wear them mostly when I'm in front of a tube... PC, laptop, TV, doesn't matter or when I'm driving. Don't wear them when I'm driving my bike, out (just plain old walking :p :D), reading or writing, etc. Basically, I only wear them when I feel the need I have to. But, yes, nowadays, that turns out to be a better part of my working day... since I'm in front of a monitor at least 8 hours a day... trying to cut back on that, been doing some construction work lately, freelance, with my cousin, the excirsise really suits me :).

Calliers likes this.
  7. Calliers

@Judas Man, I'm really sorry to hear that... and here I thought bullies were just words, sticks and stones and all that... I'm glad they didn't blind you altogether. :(

8. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

My vision has never been that good. When I was 4 I rode my bike head first into a lamp post. I needed stitches over my left eye and the vision in that eye has been very poor ever since. In recent years I diagnosed myself with amblyopia in the left eye and consigned myself to the fact that the vision in that eye could not be improved.

A few years ago I bought a pair of cheap low-strength reading glasses from the supermarket so I could read books on my phone and get a decent amount of text onto the screen at once. I then started using them when playing FPS games on the PC, the magnification made picking targets that bit easier. Now I can barely use the PC without them.

I went for my first ever eye test about 9 months ago. I found that I could improve the vision in my left eye significantly, which was a nice outcome. I need a really strong lens (+7) and even with that the vision isn't great but it is usable - which is reassuring. I wouldn't be completely blind if something happened to my right eye. I also got some contacts which feel a lot more natural. I am interested in getting some of those monthlies so I could leave them in for a couple of weeks - my current ones start to feel uncomfortable after about 8 hours. I have a real problem getting the fuckers into my eyes!

My standard vision is again not great but functional. I can just read a car plate at 20.5 metres which is the requirement for driving without glasses. That has been the same ever since I first tried it when I was around 18. I'd love to go for lens implants to get decent no-fuss standard vision but the cost is out of reach at the moment.

Right now I have a pair of proper glasses that are tuned to computer work and I use them when I am working on the PC. When I am just watching a movie or playing a game I use my 2.00 reading glasses because the image feels more natural. I can also work comfortably with my contacts L +5.00 R +3.00,

GigaWatt and Calliers like this.
  9. Mr Cairo

I use the monthlies and have done for about 10 years or more and they are superb, I have had very very very little issues and zero infection etc... super comfortable as well

Highly recommend

Calliers likes this.
  10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I need glasses just to find my glasses...

Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  11. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I started wearing glasses when I was in the 4th grade IIRC. I needed glasses before then, but my father didn't believe me as he was saying I wanted to wear glasses because I thought it made me look cool.
    Result being lousy foundations (education) which came to bite me mostly in maths. He was always a selfish sob caring nothing but himself and women, so I am not surprised about it, or hold it against him at this point, it helps he is dead for a few years now.

I was wearing glasses till 2006 or something I had laser eye surgery and recovered? my vision. I am still not used to one change. Before the surgery I could bring something I couldn't read very close to my eyes and I could read it, no matter how small font it was. That stopped being a super power and if it is something very tiny...tough luck. Which from what I understand is the normal way.
    Other than the occasional and rare time I wear sunglasses, no actual glasses for 15 or so years now.
    I hated wearing glasses, HATED. I hope I never have to wear them again.
    The laser eye surgery was the best money I ever spent in my life.

Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  12. Calliers

So sorry to hear that. My dad wasn't exactly a model parent as I was growing up either, he has changed completely though now, and I have forgiven him (he actually apologized to me for the way he raised me and my little brother when I was 21 and about to leave home in the next couple weeks).

Reminds me of this quote (that is shown at the end of Tekken 7's credits when you finish the game).

[​IMG]