Dodgy connection between wifi card and mPCI-e slot

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by ricecrispies, May 23, 2021.

1. ricecrispies

ricecrispies New Member

The connection between the wifi/Bluetooth card on my laptop (Lenovo Yoga 710-14IKB) and its mPCI-e slot is unreliable. After a while it starts to fail, causing crashes and eventually stops working altogether, disappearing entirely from Device Manager. I find that opening up the laptop and carefully re-seating the card gets it working again for another few weeks or months, but eventually it starts to fail again. I need a better solution.

So what I'm hoping someone can tell me is whether the failure is more likely to be with the card itself (which is easily replaced), or with the mPCI-e slot. And if it is the latter, will I be able to fix it or not?

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

If re-seating it fixes it temporarily, I'm thinking that jostling the laptop around may be causing the card to work loose. See if there's a way to secure the card better in the slot.

Calliers and ricecrispies like this.
  3. ricecrispies

ricecrispies New Member

Now that you put it that way, that makes sense.

I guess one thing for me to try would be to open up the laptop, but instead of taking out and reseating the card, just giving it a nudge in the direction of the contacts. If that works, then maybe there will be a way to apply a little force permanently in that direction.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  4. ricecrispies

ricecrispies New Member

So I opened up my laptop and gave the card a nudge in the direction of the pins of the socket without undoing the screw that holds the card in place and it started working again. So I then tried giving the wireless card screw an extra bit of torque with screwdriver, more than I usually use for internal components. Perhaps that will keep the card in place. I can't think what else I can do to apply additional horizontal force to the card.

Thanks for the tip!

Dyre Straits likes this.
  5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Although, with that laptop the card is M.2, which is screwed into the slot, so there's not much wiggle room to work with (it's like THIS image, correct?).

One idea would be to clean the metal contacts on the card itself with a Q-tip and a bit of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol (just a little bit). Let it dry, then insert, remove, then insert the card for a final time into the socket. This movement should clean off the contacts a bit in the slot.

Also, you might consider putting some Loctite Threadlocker (or Permatex Threadlocker ) on the screw. You've probably seen a little blue gunk on the threads of screws when you opened your laptop. That's Loctite. They use it to keep the screws from loosening, and falling out. Most times they don't use that on the internal components. IF the screw keeps coming loose for the Wi-Fi card you could try using some Loctite on it. Just a little on the screws threads, and once it cures it won't budge until you unscrew it.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Calliers and Dyre Straits like this.
  6. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member