Does anyone know how to flash Nokia phones...?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by GigaWatt, Jul 28, 2009.

1. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

i'm sorry for putting this theread here, but hey, there is no cell phones section here on DH... LOL :D

anyway, i own a Nokia 2310 (Type RM-189) and i have (probably) a firmware problem with the phone. the phone boots up, and get's to the "shaking hands" screen, but then out of nowhere, just restarts and boots up again and again and again till the battery is completely drained.

now, since i thought this is a firmware problem (someone correct me if i'm wrong, this is my first time i've encountered a problem like this), i decided to flash the phone and change it's firmware. i really have no idea what was the verison of the previous firmware, so was googling around and found two different versions on the net, v5.90 and v6.25.

while googling (and encountering other peoples problems with this phone), i found out that this phoe is and "Asic 11" phone (really have no idea what that means, i suspect it has something to do with the chipset or something...). anyway, i thought it was relevant, so why not write it... LOL :D

now, here comes the tricky part, i really have no idea how to connect the phone to a PC... on some places i read that you're supposed to have some sor of a special hardware called "M-Box" (or something like that) to flash it, on other places i read that you're supposed to have an M/F-Bus cable and a serial port (RS-232, which i don't have on my current PC, but not a problem i have a PII and a PIII rig which both have two RS-232 ports :D). on one place i even read that you could do this with a simple data cable, the require drivers for the phone and a combination of softwares (Phoenix 2004, Phoenix 2006, etc, which i really have no idea where to find or what they do).

i've done some EPROM programming and loaded a program on a EPROM a few times, but this is quite complicated, it requires the IMEI code (which i do have, not to worry ;)) and some other special softwares that i have no idea what they do...

i guess the real question would be, where to start... most of the threads i found on GSM forums online where contradicting, so no i'm completely confused...:duh:

PS: i really don't have a lot of money to spare, so the data cable option would be great, if it could be done... ;)

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Hmm

Have you thought about going to a shop that sells Nokia phones to check it out?

Attached Files:

3. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

better yet, go google for a nokia mobile forum and take a minute to sign up.
    a good dedicated mobile forum can be a gold mine ;)

4. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Not really familiar with this either Bro. As far as the forum the closest would be general hardware but that really doesn't fit either so lets leave it here ;)

5. GigaWatt

i posted on a couple of forums (gsmindia.in, gsm-europe.eu), but there were no replies... :(

i was thinking of posting in the official Nokia forum (forum.nokia.com) and another Nokia forum (froumnokia.mobi) for developers, but i thought why not run it through you guys first... ;)

will post if i find a solution... ;)

6. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

if that phone has USB connector you might be able to flash it via NSU...

7. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

Sorry i cant help you dude but the phone i had before was an N gauge and it was really easy to flash :) (connect to the PC and double click on the latest firmware update lol)

8. GigaWatt

yes, it does have a USB connector, but what is a NSU...???:confused:

(i really have no experience with any kind of connections with phones, i usually just get the cheapest ones without any kind of options, just as long as it's a Nokia LOL :D)

9. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

10. GigaWatt

thanks, will give it a try, as soon as i make the USB cable for the phone... ;)

EDIT: i don't see my phone model on the list of the phones that you can update with this software, but will give it a try... hey, it can't get any worse than it already is... ;)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009