does kx 3535 do not support eax??

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by luterry24, Nov 22, 2003.

1. luterry24

luterry24 New Member

but in war3 game I can use eax2!!!

2. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Yes, kX supports EAX2.

3. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

What kinds of EAX/EAX2 features are or are not implemented or implemented fully yet in kX? In other words, what problems can we expect to have with kX's EAX/EAX2 support at this time?

Last time I tried to play Halo with kX (3536a), turning on EAX resulted in the loss of sounds like wind blowing. Turning on just hardware acceleration in Halo resulted in the loss of music but did give 3D positional sound effects.

Using Hardware Accelerated sound in Morrowind results in excellent 3D positional sound, but I think it just uses DirectSound3D and not EAX. I do notice doppler-shifted sounds every once in a while though, which is cool.

4. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Current support is very basic; it has to improve yet. Some things will work, some things won't.

5. Eugene Gavrilov

Eugene Gavrilov kX Project Lead Programmer and Coordinator

hey, guys -- this was already discussed

EAX is not the same as 'hardware-accelerated 3-D audio'

EAX is just an 'Environmental audio extension' :)
    so, although the driver reports it supports EAX, it actually doesn't apply any environmental effects
    however, 3535 and later releases support hardware-accelerated 3-D audio more or less fine :)

yes, the effects will be added in the future -- no estimations

/E

6. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

Thanks for the clarification, Eugene. So basically DirectSound3D is supported, but not EAX (kX just reports support for the heck of it?)? That makes sense.

I know a lot of us would be excited to see any addition of EAX or other gaming-related functionality to kX. I have to admit, however, that I haven't missed EAX much since I switched to kX. It seems that a lot of newer games don't bother using it (they just use DS3D).

7. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

True, kX will be best if it supports EAX. I only miss it.

Another time, GJ for those drivers!

8. NightBreed

NightBreed New Member

9. Eugene Gavrilov

>> 'Unified Eax'

unified EAX assumes that at least -some- EAX support is available in hardware
    so, (although I haven't tried it myself) -- it should not give you any environmental effects under kX
    (let me know if I'm mistaken)

/E

10. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

Yeah, I think it's just some kind of wrapper that asks the driver what versions of EAX it supports and uses the supported version(s) to emulate the other versions. At best it's probably like the A3D v3 drivers, but since kX reports EAX support, Unified probably will think that kX can do some effects that it can't and will ask kX to use its non-existant effects to simulate others.

11. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

And how about newest EAX4? Will it be hard to implement into kX?

I`ve tried unified EAX and it only adds audio positioning in games, not special effects. However it`s very usefull when playing under 5.1 - 6.1 systems.

12. Eugene Gavrilov

audio positioning should be functional in 3535 and later releases -- so, it is not added by the 'unified' stuff

moreover, eax unified is only available for games that explicitly support it -- that is, simply installing it should not add any features to unsupported software

/Eugene

13. PITmaster

PITmaster New Member

Surely 3D sound you can find in 4/5 6/7 and 8/9. To hear a music you probably have to mix 0/1 with 4/5 for example.

PITmaster

14. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

I'm already doing that, and it doesn't work. It was a while ago though that I tested it - I should do more tests now that I know more about how kX works.

15. Eugene Gavrilov

>> Turning on just hardware acceleration in Halo resulted in the loss of music but did give 3D positional sound effects

that's a little bit strange
    re-check your set-up (reset settings if necessary)
    make sure you haven't tried 'kxctrl -shw 18 xx' :)

/E

16. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

Well, I just tested it again (this time with the latest 1.03 Halo patch installed) and it still behaves the way I described, even with the default DSP setup: With Hardware Acceleration set to Off in the game setup menu, the music can be heard but the in-game sounds are simple stereo and are played (with the music) on Wave 0/1. With Hardware Acceleration set to On, in-game sounds are played via DirectSound3D (to Wave 4/5, 6/7, and 8/9) and music is absent. I have no idea what's going on, but it's definitely not my setup as far as I can tell. Other games (e.g. Morrowing, Knights of the Old Republic) work great with kX using a combination of normal Wave 0/1 stereo and Wave 4 thru 9 DS3D positional sound. Note that I am always leaving EAX disabled in Halo, although I tried enabling it too to see if it would make the music come back, and it didn't. :confused:

Nah, I haven't messed with the command-line stuff because I haven't had any problems that it looks like it could help with.

17. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

Hm I had the same problem in Call of Duty after turning EAX on. The game was not playing some sounds, not so important at all (eg. metall scratching when glider is landing), but at all something is not right.

18. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

I'm not surprised about CoD not playing sounds with EAX enabled, but Halo should be playing the music when Hardware Acceleration is on and EAX is off because it should just be using DirectSound3D.

19. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

The biggest "wow" is in unreal. Try turning Hardware Acceleration and 3D mode in advenced options and play for while.
    Some strange effects occur with sound positioning, for example if You look up the shoot sounds (yours) come from rear speakers, and if You look down they come from from speakers only ;>

20. PITmaster

PITmaster New Member

The same with CoD and EAX. Try playing training mission. I think it's ok and realistic.

PITmaster