Does Omega Drivers Have PowerPlay Tab?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by KilrInstk, Mar 13, 2005.

1. KilrInstk

KilrInstk New Member

I have just installed Omega Drivers 2.6.05a (Catalyst 5.1) and after I did an install I do not see the powerplay tab anywhere to be found.

I uninstalled my original drivers.

Rebooted

I used Driver Cleaner Pro to clean out any ATI drivers.

Rebooted

Installed Omega Drivers

Rebooted

Everything is working fine but no powerplay tab.

P.S. I driver cleaner pro in normal windows xp pro mode not in safe mode.

2. twak

twak New Member

i run omegas most of the time and have never heard of a powerplay tab??

3. eggs420

eggs420 my bud > yours

It's some sort of auto-clock/voltage adjusting for some of the mobilities, probably for better battery life.

4. KilrInstk

KilrInstk New Member

exactly what it is.

What happened to it?

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Edit: I did a little searching, and I might have come across something, but I need to know what laptop you have, or at least what chipset/video card it uses.

Also, are you wanting the PowerPlay tab so that you can access the clocking functions? If so, you can do better with programs like ATI Tool or Radlinker.

- Tip

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  6. insignificant

insignificant New Member

I'm also in this position. I have a Gericom Ego notebook with a 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 card.

The PowerPlay settings have never been visible to me, either with Omega's drivers or the ones which came with the notebook...

7. Tipstaff

For insignificant:

I think this will work for you:

Start the installer for the ATI Cat 5.3s. Let it extract, but when the actual ATI installer comes up (with the ATI logo background) hit 'Cancel'. Download Patje's DH Mobility Modder 2.2 from HERE , extract, then run it. Here's the tricky part: even though you have a Mobility 9700 the company that has made your laptop is using the device ID that is assigned for the Mobility 9600. If you take apart their drivers you will see that they list ALL of the Mobility chips with the ID assigned to the Mobility 9600 (which is M10 Edit: going over it again some companies have been doing that.. making them 9600/9700) except the Mobility 9800 which they list properly. How F'ing Stupid. Anyways, in the DH Mobility Modders drop down box where you choose the card pick the Radeon Mobility 9600 from the list, and hit 'Star Mod'. After it goes through it's run it will ask about installing them. Do so, and let me know if that worked for you.
    ---------------------

KilrInstk, don't forget to let me know the maker of your laptop (maker, and model number), and I'll check for you as well.

- Tip

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  8. KilrInstk

KilrInstk New Member

Thank you all!

I have a ASUS L5800GA Laptop.

P4 2.8 800MHz FSB 512 Cache

ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 128 MBs

512 MBs Of Ram PC 2700

60 Gig 7200 RPMs HD

ASUS does not have the current latest drivers. I contacted them and they replied they have to do a lot of testing before they release them. So basically I am SOL. I checked their driver versions and they last released it last year JUNE! Doom3 was not working at all and crashing a lot. I tried to install the drivers from ATI but they will not install telling me that I need to contact my MFG, which I did.

I am very greatful for Omega Drivers. I will be making a donation when I get my next paycheck, not because I have to but I believe what they are doing is fantastic. I installed them and they work perfectly with Doom3. However!!!

I am using a P4 (desktop cpu not centrino or any other type of CPU) So when I am on batteries the gaming is choppy as all heck. That is why I am curious about the powerplay tab to see if i can get a better gaming experience with it. I am not seeking better battery life just better gaming even if its only for 3o to 50 mins.

Thanks to you all for the help.!

9. insignificant

insignificant New Member

nope: still nothing that I can see. Here's my advanced settings tab:

[img=http://img108.exs.cx/img108/2792/display8va.th.jpg]

It seems that whatever driver I try, I can't get access to those settings.

Are all MR9700s compatible with PowerPlay? Would the BIOS be anything to do with this?

10. KilrInstk

KilrInstk New Member

Yeah that screenshot is exactly what I got!

I see those exact options but the power play tab.

Someone hELP mE!

11. Tipstaff

Sorry guys. That's about all I can suggest. It could be that to have the PowerPlay tab enabled also requires the installation of a particular file that isn't being installed, or from some other setting that isn't obvious, but from every indication in the INF files PowerPlay is being set to Enable when they are installing using the moddified drivers (and the original manufacturers drivers).

You might want to try another set of drivers that were put out by TechConnect which you can get off their site HERE . They also have mobile support in them, and their INF files also indicated that PowerPlay is enabled, however I can't say for sure that it will show up.

Btw - What I meant by "the INF indicates that PowerPlay is enabled" is this: take a look at this section of a moddified drivers C2/CX INF file:

[ati2mtag_M10_SoftwareDeviceSettings]
    HKR,, ExtEvent_EnablePowerPlay, %REG_DWORD%, 1
    HKR,, DALRULE_POWERPLAYFORCEREFRESHSCREEN, %REG_DWORD%, 0
    HKR,, DALRULE_POWERPLAYOPTIONCOLORDEPTHREDUCTION, %REG_DWORD%, 0
    HKR,, DALRULE_POWERPLAYSUSPENDSUPPORT, %REG_DWORD%, 1
    HKR,, DALRULE_POWERPLAYOPTIONENABLEDBYDEFAULT, %REG_DWORD%, 1
    HKR,, DALRULE_USEOLDPOWERPLAYINTERFACE, %REG_DWORD%, 0
    HKR,, DALRULE_USEOLDPOWERPLAYPROPERTYPAGE, %REG_DWORD%, 0

As you can see 'EnablePowerPlay" is set to 1 (on), plus 'POWERPLAYOPTIONENABLEDBYDEFAULT' is also set to 1 (on). If you want you can search for that section in the installation INF and try changing the last 2 options to 1, then reinstall the drivers.

Again, sorry guys. All I can say is that when I get back to work this week I'll look over the drivers again on a Mobilty 9700 lappy I have there, but until then I'll have to pass this onto someone else.

- Tip

12. KilrInstk

KilrInstk New Member

thanks for everyones help however

I wanted to point out that link you posted does not work! :(

anyone else know a solution to our myproblem?

purty pls

13. Tipstaff

TC is working on their site at the moment. They'll be back up soon. I've used their drivers the last couple times due to their optimizations for HL2, and with the last set (Cat 5.2s), they've been pretty good to me.

- Tip

Edit: If you want to you can get the latest TC driver from HERE which is hosted by Hardware Upgrade.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  14. KilrInstk

KilrInstk New Member

I tried those drivers you posted and they maybe good, but still same problem powertab is not appearing which is what I need and want.

Thanks again..

15. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

What features you have is dependent on the MFG....

The only drivers offically support your mobile video are the on of your mfg's website.
    Of course thier old and severaly out dated... but what ever features your mfg put on
    should show up. All laptops are diffrent includeing supported featres...

So you a either? use the old crappy drivers get all features...
    Or use new modded sets and take what you can get

16. insignificant

insignificant New Member

to clarify: does every MR9700 card have the PowerPlay feature? ie. have I possibly got an old version of the card or is it purely a driver issue?

17. Tipstaff

Going over the 2 laptops I have at the store (one is a Mobility 7500, the other a Mobility Radeon 9600) I have to agrree with what Neon has suggested. Both systems are using the default manufacturer drivers, but neither one of them have the PowerPlay tab active even though both drivers have the PowerPlay options enabled inside their INF, and inside the registry. I have seen that tab active in a MR9600 before, but am at a loss as to why it's not on these two. The only conclusion this leads me to is that this feature is not active in the video bios (either not supported, or deactivated), or that it requires an added setting/file in order to get it to work. What that might be I'm not sure. In KilrInstks case, seeing as how it was visible with the default drivers, and not the others, the latter conclusion makes more sense.

Unfortunatly I can't screw with these 2 laptops to get it to work as they are important, so, I'll have to leave this to someone else. I wish I could, but I need these working day in, and day out. Sorry guys.

- Tip

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  18. redsolar

redsolar Off duty

I have powerplay tab with all the drivers (official Dell, modded official ATI [CP and CCC] and Omegas). Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo in an Dell Inspiron 8600. I tried quite a number of driver releases on it since October 2004, when I bought it.