Dolby Digital on the fly encoding is here!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Socio, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Socio

Socio New Member

PCI based Dolby Digital on the fly encoding is here!

Check out this new PCI based soundcard with on the fly DD encoding, works with games and everything else it will even upconvert 2 channel to 5.1!

HDA Digital X Mystique 7.1 gold

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20448

You can buy one here:

http://www.price4you.co.kr/shop/sub_03.html?kindc=COM&typec=SCD&prodc=HITECHDAXM7D1G&cmpnyc=pba51&buy=#

The DD on the fly encoding is software based but causes very little cpu overhead, read more here:

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/product/CMI8768_plus.htm

It is also rumored that the drivers and software can be used on any card with the CMI8768 8ch+ chip. I do not know if the driver have to be modified to make them work or if the drivers or software can be made to work on other cards. You can download the drivers here and try your own experiments ;) :

http://digitalaudio.co.kr/xm71.rar

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

mmm nForce soundstorm, Intel Azalia… but this looks like the first expansion card version

3. Socio

Socio New Member

Yes that is what I ment, first PCI based sound card with on the fly DD encoding.

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

mmm i wonder how many standard SPDIF inputs this thing has… if its 3, you might be able to chain an Audigy 2 ZS to this thing

5. Socio

Socio New Member

Interesting idea,

Likewise, if you had 4 stereo analog inputs on that card perhaps you could do 7.1 from the ZS thus beable to do DD EAX 4 in 7.1.

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

keep them SPDIF inputs, no ADC/DAC distortion/quality loss… the ZS has 4 SPDIF outputs…

7. Socio

Socio New Member

I am going to try and get one of these cards and see,

This card will output 16/ 41.1 - 24/48 or 24/96 so besides the EAX stuff it would be interesting to hear a CD played using ASIO and outputting 24/96 DD or ASIO upconverted to 5.1 DD.

8. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

you won't notice a difference in sound quality. CDs are 16/44.1. Upsampling does nothing

9. Socio

Socio New Member

In my case I might because I would be out putting it in digital instead of analog to my receiver thus using a better quality DAC on my receiver.

Besides that I am more curious about upping a 2 channel CD from ASIO to DD 5.1, I know that the settings for 5.1 on the card are adjustable in the software like the AC3Filter so it can be tweaked, I know it won't be multi channel SACD quality but I bet it would sound pretty damn good.

10. Socio

Socio New Member

Looks like you can only get two Digital inputs and you would need to purchase the Digital I/O HDA-X10 S/PDIF Input Extension board for the X Mystique card to get them.

Here is a pic of the extension board for the curious:

[​IMG]

11. xzero1

xzero1 New Member

I have the card. There is a lot I like about it BUT consider this: If I disable the card (device manager) Doom3 timedemo (sound is off) increases about 5 FPS to 37. Aquamark3 also shows a similar increase. The drivers must always be using cpu. Note: this is analog out only (DDL is even worse). This means more performance hit than previously seen but a sneaky way to hide it since it wont show up in the baseline. I don't know if or how much loss is incurred with other cards. Can someone test this with other sound cards for comparison. Can someone with this card try it themselves. My system is athlon xp 2000+.

12. Turdhat

Turdhat New Member

I am seeing a big hit from this card just being enabled in device manager. For instance:

Call of duty bench with HDA on 143.
    Call of Duty bench with HDA off and sblive enabled in device manager 176 (you can switch between the two for a/b comparison)

Counter Strike Source stress test with HDA 138
    Same with Sblive 180 !

Thats a giant hit ! Call of Duty OU online feels much choppier to me and I am still troubleshooting to see if its the card or sopme weird conflct. I have emailed bluegears and awit their responce.