DOOM 3 1.3 Patch

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Ev!L-aLphA, May 24, 2005.

1. Ev!L-aLphA

Ev!L-aLphA | n f e c t e D

id Software has released a new patch for DOOM 3, updating the Windows and Linux builds of the game to v1.3. The new update adds support for Punkbuster as well as EAX 4.0, fixes ragdoll bounciness, and also comes with a few changes related to .pk4 downloads.

Source: Shack News

2. cheese_thief

cheese_thief New Member

Heh, EAX... I thought it wouldn't be implemented until the next D3 based project, namely Quake 4?

3. griswoold

griswoold mr. vögi

Creative forced them to :)

4. ChrisW

ChrisW New Member

Yeah, it's pretty funny to see them break down and add EAX support. Carmack usually gives the rest of the developers the finger and forces them to add EAX support manually (since Carmack hates Creative Labs so much). Unfortunately for Carmack this time, there are several game engines available and game developers are just not going to take this crap from him. Plus, this negates everyone's arguments that it was impossible for Carmack to use EAX in Doom3.

5. griswoold

griswoold mr. vögi

I'm personally not a huge fan of creative but let's face it doom3's 3d audio engine simply sucks. Frankly games from 2-3 years back are superior in that department. I'm kinda glad creative did what they did because it's good for all people wanna have decent 3dsound with doom3 engine

6. ChrisW

ChrisW New Member

I don't like Creative Labs either. I hate what they did to Aureal and stopped new technological advancements by getting rid of their competition. That is, however, no reason to punish everyone by forcing all computers to use software sound processing because Creative invented EAX.

7. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

I really like to used KX drivers :) but I wish Eugene has eax support for them hehe :)But thats why I stay with creative because more sounds in games and stuff. Maybe later on this week we would see new creative driver set official.

8. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i think carmack has his head up his ass. reminds me of a wannabe george lucas. great talent in specific area(s) but has to much ego to know his limitations.

9. daRk_heLmet

daRk_heLmet Keep firing, assholes!

huh ?
    it's he who created the new sound tech that rivaled creative's.

creative asked for money, but they had to bend for they wanted in on Doom not the other way around

“The patent situation well and truly sucks.

We were prepared to use a two-pass algorithm that gave equivalent results at a speed hit, but we negotiated the deal with Creative so that we were able to use the zfail method without having to actually pay any cash. It was tempting to take a stand and say that our products were never going to use any advanced Creative/3dlabs products because of their position on patenting gaming software algorithms, but that would only have hurt the users.

John Carmack”

lame terms -

1. Creative and Carmack had discussed a method of shadowing... it became a "standard" and is used alot in 3d engines afaik.

2. Creative publically released info on it, then ran out and patented it.

3. Creative pushes legal action against id Software to remove said method. id software negotiated to allow Creative to incorporate their 3d sound tech into future Doom3 engine licenses.

in other words, Creative fucks Carmack, Carmack takes the bullet by striking the deal so the end user is safe.

10. mike2h

mike2h New Member

whatever the story, it still does not change the fact that he released the game without audio support for the largest segment of audio cards out there.
    i am not siding with creative on this, i know they are a big business that is out to make lots of $$ however they can. they have had a long history of operating this way. if carmack was silly enough to set himself up like that then that is on him. & we do not know the whole story.
    i think he made two bad business moves - trusting creative, & letting his bad feelings towards them get in the way of business decisions.
    bty my previous post was a general observation, & like this post is jmo.

11. Raven76

Raven76 New Member

!!!Attention!!! How to use EAX on Doom3 1.3!

!!!Attention!!! How to use EAX on Doom3 1.3!
    In fact it isn't sufficient to install it...

You must also change these values in doomconfig.cfg to "1"

seta s_useEAXReverb "1"
    seta s_useOpenAL "1"

12. mike2h

mike2h New Member

thx! good heads up.

13. NAZ2222

NAZ2222 Active Member

does this patch improve anything in performance? i've only heard about EAX 4, but 2 is also suported right??? I hope it doesnt mess the performance i'm having with the cat 5.5! for me they are the best ever with my radeon 9800 pro...

14. Castaa

Castaa New Member

Is me just me or does the "EAX HD 4.0" sound plain horrible and muddy. Sure there is an echo but it the sound is overall much, much worse, IMO.

15. Vasot

Vasot Banned

Bah a little late now
    I have finished it twice and i am not interested in playing it again

Of course there is also the Multiplayer but there are already more enjoyable games for that

16. franguinho

franguinho Brazilian Fool

dont mean to threadcrap but didnt realize anyoine still played this after beating it :p

17. mike2h

mike2h New Member

if it reads like a threadcrap, smells like a threadcrap, then guess what.......

18. Xerith

Xerith New Member

In "hell1" I was having issues with the game locking up and crashing after installing this patch. Lastest drivers all around. I tried everything and in the end it was the EAX that was doing it. After turning EAX off, I have yet to have any issues with the game locking up. I guess there is a small bug in that patch or something. Oh well...game sounded like shit anyway in EAX. x.X