doom 3 problems

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Louiemaster, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Louiemaster

Louiemaster Masto Commando

ok i have 2 problems with doom 3 so ill list them seperately
    1. Whenever I start my computer up and start playing doom 3 everythings fine for like 15 minutes(this includes the time it takes to load the level) but then everything starts slowing down to about 2-3 fps. And this doesnt go away. all i can do is save the game and restart doom 3. Now when i start playing doom 3 again i get artifacts and still after like 15 minutes it slows down again to 2-3 fps. This is really annoying cause i can only play for 10 minutes at a time. (I've tried downclocking my card about 10mhz but it still slows down.)

2. Whenever i open the console in doom 3 there are always warnings showing like "couldnt load sound shader blablaba" and stuff like that. i tried unpacking the pk4 files but i still get them.

yeah so those are my problems and help me cause ill smite you if u dont

2. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

what systems specs?

3. Louiemaster

oh sry forgot to mention those.

inspiron 8500
    intel p4-m 2.0ghz
    mobility radeon 9000 32 mb
    256 ram mb
    latest drivers (im using omega's for my vid card)

running at 640-480 with medium quality with everything on and 2x aa and 2x af
    actually now that i look at my specs it might be because i dont have alot of ram?

4. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

D3 i s one of those system hog type of games......only 256mb could be the main problem.

is this problem the same with aa & af dissabled?

5. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

ok... well... the 256mb won't help at all.... but it's a lappy right? sometimes hardware things in laptops can just do silly things like that and I'm afraid there isn't much you can do about it if it's something like that

6. Louiemaster

In response to MIG-31 yes even with aa and af disabled it still happens and to tastytweat i have now noticed artifacts in halo too which i have only had with the omega 4.4's so it might be a driver problem. ill revert to 4.7's. Any suggestions for the 2nd problem?

7. Louiemaster

Well after switching back to the previous drivers i fixed the halo corruption but the doom 3 problem is still there. However once i removed all the tweaks i added to the interaction.vpf file except for the param one everything is all well now. I've played for 30 minutes and no artifacts of any kind. I never thought removing those tweaks would solve the problem. Now all i have are the warnings in the console which i havent found an solution for so im still open for suggestions for that.

8. reno

reno Painlord of Ichor

dfb

You're playing the game with less than the minimum requirements for memory. That's your first problem. Your second one was trying to use AA and Aniso with an integrated ATI 9000. Your third was letting the damn thing get too hot. That slowdown after 15 minutes is VERY likely your Intel processor throttling itself.

I'd suggest using the laptop on a table in a cool room with good ambient airflow. But I'd further suggest playing the game on a desktop...that laptop is just too overworked.

9. Louiemaster

Well before i had my problem fixed i was playing in the coolest room in the house with a humongo fan blowing into my vents whenever i played doom 3. Also if by integrated u mean soldered onto the motherboard or something like that, its not. I can take it out and replace it with something else if i want. All i have to do is remove the keyboard