Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by FDM80, Apr 2, 2005.

1. FDM80

FDM80 New Member

Got the game this morning, just finished playing the first 5 levels of this game. I like it better than D3.

My Pro's: Less of the constant small corridor fighting. More thinking of when is the best time for you to use your aquired powers (aka a little less mindless shooting). There is also less listening and reading PDA's as well, which helps speed the games progress. I've only had to backtrack for 1 PDA so far so you don't run in circles quite as much looking for a way to open a door as I was in D3.

My Con's: So far the only really negative things I've experienced has nothing to do with gameplay and has to do with performance. After playing about 2 1/2 to 3 levels the game seems to just lag like hell every time a door is opened to go to the next room. I don't know if it's page file use or what, but only a reboot seemed to fix this for me. Not something I'm used to doing with 1GB of ram. Hopefully I can rememdy this somehow in the near future.

Overall it seems like a much less tedious game. Is it as good as FC or HL2? I'm not sure about that, but I do already like it more than D3.

2. jasonbourne

jasonbourne New Member

mmm i can't wait to play it!! i really enjoyed playing doom3 in fact more than i did when i played hl2.i hope the game is not too short cuz in doom3 when i though that the game was only begining it was in the end already..

3. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

It's out???

4. fire1811

fire1811 New Member

thanks for the review.

5. Counterfe1t

Counterfe1t New Member

yeah and its actually pretty good

6. zamac_man

zamac_man New Member

I am going to try this one, on my slow 9500pro:duh:

7. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Circuit City has it for $24.99.

8. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I havent played it enough yet to warrant an accurate comment but it does seem a little better than the first. Any free time I have right now will be playing one of the best PC games of all time. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory so Doom3 ROE will have to wait.

9. nauticus

nauticus Carpcarpcarpcarpcarp

Heyheyhey... don't go dissin' 9500 Pros.

10. nuG

nuG is having a sexy party

you and your x850xt make me sick. hah i kid, but honestly between your avatar and the x850xt your on my top ten list of people i want to be when i grow up. consider yourself lucky. :rofl:

11. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

Zardon with your dismal views of Doom 3 I'm quite amazed you bought the expansion :)

12. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

nug, your forgeting he also gets beta boards for stuff too. hell, hes probably has an R520 sitting in his system right now, or has had at some point in time.

13. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

I'll give it a spin when I can get my hands on it...

14. Vasot

Vasot Banned

Well it's a little better from the Original Doom3
    but nothing so special

It's good for 2 days, at the final levels it becomes boring

Man i really miss a good strategy game right now these kind of FPS action games like Doom3 are mindless and short :(

Stretegy games like Imperial Glory, Black and White 2 and Age of Empires 3 seems sweet :taste:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  15. HardwareHeaven

yeah its nice to get a game with a bit of depth, but at least Doom3 and this addon look great. Just a little repetitive for me.

The potential with this engine is incredible though, im dying to see some games coming out of other companies stables powered with this engine.

16. Castaa

Castaa New Member

Bug?

Hi all,

Anyone getting massive frame rate slow downs periodically with the new expansion?

My frame rate instantly goes from 15-30 to less than 1 frame a second. It happens in random rooms in the game. It usually happens when I go into a new room for the first time.

There doesn't have to be any monsters in view. The problem occurs in just an empty room or sometimes with monsters in view.

However, if I reload Doom 3 and go back to the same area the frame rate is normal. Plain Doom 3 never gave me this problem before.

System:

9700 Radeon Pro 128 MB - Catalyst 5.4 drivers
    1.9 GHz Athlon
    1 GB RAM
    Medium quality setting @ 1600x1200
    Windows XP Pro with SP2

Anyone else seeing this problem as well?

17. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

the first few min of the game are like that with me. from what i can tell, i think its just takeing awhile to cache everything.
    the best thing i found to do was as soon as you start playing, dont move. take out each of your weapons, your flash light, move the mouse around for a bit, with a weapon and flash light.
    after you do that and everything seems to smooth out, then i start playing and for the most part have no problems.

18. Castaa

Castaa New Member

Thanks for the reply. :)

For me, this isn't a hard drive/memory cache issue. This is a bug either with the ATI drivers or in Doom 3 itself from what I can tell.

19. HardwareHeaven

I havent seen this issue with ATI cards, however you are using a 9700 so that might have something to do with it. im not saying its a bad card, but well you know how things work in the technology world.

The only times ive seen some shuddering with doom3 on ATI is with ultra quality setting but it does run much better with a 6800 as we all know. The SLI setup i have you can easily run the game at 1600x1200 ultra with 4AA and 16AF and it never drops below 60fps

Have you tried tweaking the config? there are many guides online which might help you with performance and caching.

20. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

This game has some cool new weapons, but once again like the origional DOOM 3 the pace slows down during the later levels; story and presentation fall short for me.