Doom III ROE Performance. Anyone else having these issues?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Draconis, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Draconis

Draconis New Member

[System Specs listed below]

Okay,

so I picked up ROE expansion for Doom III. Overall I think it's an awesome addition to the game and indeed is alot better then the original Doom III. Alot less Cheap scares, more scares based on Tension and the unknown, and a fairly well reasoned plotline for an FPS shooter. A ton more action this time around too.

However, I've noticed some very poor performance from the game in General. Whether it is at 640, 800, or 1024, in ALOT of the areas my system will absolutley CHOKE and drop down to 3-5 FPS. One of the levels that comes to mind is the beginning of the Erebus labs section where you have to meet Dr Cloud. Just in that opening section upon load, I am running at an almighty 7-9 FPS.

My usual settings are this:
    High Quality
    No AA
    Shadows Yes
    Specular Yes
    Vsync Off
    High quality special effects Yes
    Bump Maps Yes
    1024x768

At other times, my system will have a steady FPS of 60-30. But that is usually transitioning between areas, no enemies on screen etc. I've dummied down all the graphics to the lowest settings and the problem STILL Occurs. I'll get into a firefight with just ONE monster and suddenly my system screams, chugging along at a weak FPS range.

I've uninstalled Drivers, put in 5.3 Cats after Driver cleaner in Safe mode, loaded up the game with all manner of different graphical settings in both the Catalyst control center and the DOOM III settings, and it still doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

So what the heck is holding my system back? I look on other forums and I always see people say that they have a system rig that is slightly less powerful then mine and they have NO slowdown. None, nada, zip. Constant framerates that never dip.

So is anyone else having this issue? Or is it just my system? I just find it extremley difficult to believe that even with an X800 pro in this system rig, that doom 3 dips down to such weak fps levels. :/ Heck, in alot of the areas I need to keep up God Mode or else I'll die just due to graphics lag alone. :(

And if anyone has any advice, barring a complete system format/reinstall, I'd love to hear it.

Draconis

[System Specifications]
    Gigabyte 7N400 Pro Motherboard
    AMD 3200 XP+ Barton Core Processor, 400 FSB
    1 Gigabyte of Dual Channeled PC3200 DDR
    420 Watt PSU
    ATI Radeon X800 PRO Video Card
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition sound card
    80 Gigabyte 7200 RPM HDD, 8 Meg Cache [OS Drive]
    200 Gigabyte 7200 RPM HDD, 8 Meg Cache [Gaming Drive]
    52X Cd Drome Drive
    Philips CD Rewritable Drive

2. SataNXerxeS

SataNXerxeS New Member

You have slow CPU, I have the same and DOOMIII (orig) is performing the same poor (goes under 25fps) on SLOW and ULTRA QUALITY....so if it does the same to you (even in ROE) GET SOME A643000+ or higher (know it is isxpensive....I have to do the same :-( )

3. Counterfe1t

Counterfe1t New Member

yeah im running on a A64 3000+ and my frames rarely go below 30 also im using an old 9600xt and have my settings at high.

4. redsolar

redsolar Off duty

Oh come on, man. Really, both yours and his CPU are good CPUs, upgrade is a waste with both of your video cards. It's just what it is - Doom III is a resource hog, and lags on a lot of different cards, especially on ATI cards. Not much you can do about it, and the CPU won't change almost anything at all.

5. Shaga

Shaga Intelligent Life Form

It runs awesomely on my machine. Constant 60fps< 1280x1024, high quality, everything maxed except AA/AF.

AMD64 3500+, gf6600gt pci-e.

I have played it just some minutes(40min) and game feels so empty. Story for the beginning is so empty "you arrive into strange planet, then you kill all".

Just hack 'n slash without atmosphere, other than creepy multi-polygon-monsters ;) imho

6. Tiribulus

Tiribulus New Member

I'm running a Barton core 2500+ @ 2652/X800XTPE 590/620. Haven't gotten that far, but it runs smooth as silk from what I've seen so far. No benches, but not even a hint of lag.
    >>>-Tiribulus->

7. Pluvious

Pluvious Elisha = hottie

I'll proabably check it out when I find it for $19.. otherwise .. I'll wait. Been there done that.. .

8. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Its much the same as the first. good god i hope some other company licenses this engine and does something with it.

9. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Quake 4 will be the bomb from Raven! Finally the engine will be well used!

10. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

i would like to see the next jedi knight game on it

11. HardwareHeaven

It is a little better, and if you liked the first im sure you will love this, but after playing splinter cell chaos theory, this looks so stale, so mundane and linear. Its a decent FPS with gorgeous graphics, but they need to actually think about how to make the game immersive, not just run, shoot, open door, kill dumb monster. ad infinitium.......

"But thats what Doom is all about Zardon!"

"bleh"

12. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I totally agree Zard. The first was good in the beginning cuz I had never played a freaky FPS and it was new but after the first few levels, the whole thing was the same except at the end where it felt more like the original doom with lotsa baddies! I think HL2 even if was damn linear was great. Or Far Cry which was not too linear! Maybe STALKER will change the FPS genre for the good?

13. Tiribulus

Tiribulus New Member

If you haven't already, check out the Riddick game. Verrrry immersive at least to me. Massive world and lotsa stuff to do.
    >>>--Tiribulus->

14. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

i picked up the game yesterday and so far ive been haveing fun with it. only problem is it seems to have started acting up some what now.

when i first started playing the game, it ran smooth as silk on my rig. i ended up dieing at the point of where you need to use bullet time to get past the plasma ball thingies on the walk way. i figured it was a good time to stop for a little while and go do something else. i came back to the game later that night and played through that section again, only it seemed choppy as hell for a good 2-3 min or so.
    after playing it for a bit everything seemed to smooth out and run with out much of a hitch at all.

now the one part that i have scene so far that seems to knock everybodies system down is the room with the X-ray machines. hell, that knocked me down from 60fps to 13fps. the general consensus there is that theres too many light sources in there converging on the posts in between the screens and its just killing all current hardware out there.

so far though, ive found the game to be pretty fun and definatly alot more action packed this time around. hell, with in the first 10 seconds of the game you can pick up the shotgun and start killing. i like the overall look alot more this time too, i love the ancient city.

right now im running the game on Ultra, 1024x768, everything but vsync on, 2xAA 16xAF and the game runs quite well on my sytem, most times 50fps+.

x800pro @ stock (5.2 cats)
    a64 3200+ @ stock
    2x512 pc4000

15. ToP3koms

ToP3koms Respect Human Rights

I have not noticed any choppiness with d3 RoE thus far ,I'm just getting to Phobos,it's kinda weird using the artifact with it's visuals but I have not noticed my FPS dipping at all.

16. HardwareHeaven

Yeah I beat it, great game indeed.

17. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Riddick was short and sweet, but the bosses were weak :(

18. MSX

MSX Burning the frozen...

SC3 is nonlinear? So they finally got away from the "stealth action on rails" thing they've been pushing for 2 games?

It might actually be worth buying if it is.

19. Castaa

Castaa New Member

Hi all,

I'm also getting massive frame rate slow downs periodically with the new expansion. :(

My frame rate instantly goes from 15-30 to less than 1 frame a second. It happens in random rooms in the game. It usually happens when I go into a new room for the first time.

There doesn't have to be any monsters in view. The problem occurs in just an empty room or sometimes with monsters in view.

However, if I reload Doom 3 and go back to the same area the frame rate is normal. Plain Doom 3 never gave me this problem before.

System:

9700 Radeon Pro 128 MB - Catalyst 5.4 drivers
    1.9 GHz Athlon
    1 GB RAM
    Medium quality setting @ 1600x1200
    Windows XP Pro with SP2

20. FDM80

FDM80 New Member

I've been getting slow downs in D3:RoE. Usually doesn't happen on the first level being loaded but the 2nd one. I think there is a memory leak or something, since the 2nd level I play (not the actual 2nd level) usually starts to suffer. A log off from windows or reboot and entry back into the problematic level results in it working fine. This has happened on my 9800 and my X800 XL.