DOOM3 5.1 w/ Audigy & kX drivs

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by nvx, Aug 5, 2004.

1. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, I already researched it enough to have determined that the speaker setting is not the cause of the problem on my system (well, unless setting it to something _other_ than 5.1 might help).

I'd really like to hear from Eugene, or anyone else that may be able to replicate my problem.

2. RDaneel

RDaneel New Member

Well, *I* can replicate your problem... unfortunately. :)

Let's see - XP SP1, Audigy (SB0090), kX 3538, DX9.0b, digital out to my "DeskTop Theatre 5.1 DTT2500 Digital" (quite a mouthful!), XP set to 5.1, kX speakers (and my speakers) set to 4.1.

Doom3-wise, NO rear speakers - doing the turn-around thing, sounds that should be behind me just aren't there. :( And, the "DSound" control thing makes no difference for me, either.

Basically, I have flip-flopped my sound driver between kX and Creative ever since I discovered kX last year... the choice is ugly: *really* sweet music playback (I also use the MAD decoder), or great-sounding gaming (all the channels, effects, etc) - I think we know which driver setup gives which results. ;)

A subtlety - whenever I switch my [kX] speaker setup between 2.1 and 4.1, I *always* have to go through a bizarre ritual: using Surrounder, I have to select the Speaker Mode, enable Surround, enable Subwoofer output... then disable Subwoofer output and disable Surround. If I don't go through this sequence, I don't get anything out of my subwoofer (as determined by the kX Test applet). This has been the case for all the kX's I have tried (the last 3, counting 3538).

Does anyone else find it strange (and annoying) that Doom3 gives you so little control over your sound setup? It's not as if it's an inexpensive or otherwise low-end game... sigh.

3. Arparso

Arparso New Member

Same problem here... Audigy2 (SB0240), Creative Inspire 6.1 6700. Windows, kX Drivers and my speakers are set to 5.1, but no sound coming from the rear speakers while playing Doom 3.

However, I don't really care... I don't really like the game anyway :rolleyes:

4. Tr00per

Tr00per New Member

audigy not true 5.1 in doom3

I have the same problem in Doom3, all other games do real 5.1 sound with the Kx drivers

I would go back to SB drivers just to play this game but for some reason the SB drivers wont detect my audigy 2 card

I really like the Kx drivers, is there any word a patch coming out to fix this?

seems like a few people are having this problem.

5. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

Thanks everyone for confirming my results. Hopefully Eugene will be persuaded to look into this :)

6. DerRooster

DerRooster New Member

Workaround???

Hi all,

Maybe some of you that have the required Hardware and expertise can reproduce this workaround: I installed kx-drivers and found out that it has no rear-speakers in games. Then I installed the latest Cmedia drivers for my onboard CM9739 but switched everything to kx in WinXP ControlPanel. When I fire up ANY game now I get EAX-Advanced Hd Option and it seems to work (I have a SBLive!).
    So --> kx high Quality sound AND rear speakers works for me perfectly.
    Please try and post results.

7. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

8. DMNXS

DMNXS Member

Explain! Explain!

9. DerRooster

DerRooster New Member

Allright, here is the full story:

My system:
    Asrock k7s8x (onboard cmedia 9739 soundchip with EAX capabilities)
    SBLive! (no 5.1)
    CPU and the rest not important

First I found an article about Youp-Pax Driver and installed those. Since my Chinese is very bad :rolleyes: I uninstalled them and everything that comes with creative drivers. Then I installed the kx-driver package and was amezed by the sound difference. The downside was, that I had no rear-speaker sound in any game (I tried Doom 3, Splinter Cell, XII and Thief 3). I figured that I might be able to use my onboard sound to play games and therefore have EAX, too. (nevertheless I read in some board that the new orginal Cmedia drivers have improved a lot)
    So I installed these new drivers. At that point I had, of course, two soundboards installed. In Windows SoundControlPanel (I am not sure what it is called in English) I switched everything to Soundblaster (actually it gives me a choice over 4 different kx-options -> i.e. kx Wave CT4832 10k1 [cc00] 0/1).
    So now everything is set to Soundblaster ouput and all my speakers are only connected to the SBLive!.
    Then I (more or less accidently) fired up Doom 3 and was pretty surprised that I had suddenly four speaker sound. I tried Thief 3 and I can choose Hardware Mixing sound and EAX Advanced HD (no Multiple Enviroments though).

My REALLY wild guess is that these Cmedia drivers supply Windows with Eugenes missing EAX specifications. And since Cmedia and kx dirvers are probably more of a Standard than Creative drivers itself, they seem to add up.

Thus, please excuse that I cannot explain anything further to you, because I do not have a clue about driver programming.
    That is why I asked any of you, if you are capable of reproducing this workaround. I really wonder if I have the "magic system" here.

10. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

That's very interesting and I'm glad it got things working for you :) I have rear speaker sound in a lot of games, but in Doom 3 (as I've posted before in this thread) seems to only use the kX Wave 0/1 device no matter what I try. I was inspired by your posts to install drivers for my VIA on-motherboard sound hardware, but this seems to have had no effect on the operation of kX and/or Doom 3 :(

In a related bit of news, it seems that a beta patch has been released for Doom 3, and sadly seems to include no changes to the sound engine: http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1094638794/

I probably won't bother trying it until an official patch is released.

11. kulmegil

kulmegil New Member

Can't make damn thing work... hope the patch will change something.

12. legion7

legion7 New Member

I'm not such as a big gamer like your but I noticed you are talking about only front speakers sound with Doom3 and kX Driver. By my side playing Doom3 I can hear also rear speakers but sound like a copy of front ones (wave 0/1). It's the same installing Eax Advanced HD Unified Driver. So I think it isn't Eax the problem with this game. I suppose exists a kind of pipeline between the game and the dolby digital decoder built in Creative drivers. Since dolby dice (Dolby Interactive Content Encoder) is a standard now, perhaps this built-in dolby decoder has real time encoding feature and Doom3 uses it.

13. Ulukay

Ulukay New Member

anybody found a solution?
    i've updated to 3538C and patched DOom3 to 1.1
    i am able to select 5.1 in the settings, but the rear speakers are simply dead :(

14. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

I was going to test 3538c + Doom3 v1.1 but I don't expect any different results because Eugene didn't list making any major changes to the DS3D support in this release. I guess we'll have to wait until the next kX release.

15. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

Doom 3 sucks, that`s easy.

It`s the very only game that has problem with surround sound and kX drivers.

16. BozQ

BozQ New Member

17. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

Rogacz: No, Halo 1 has problems too. These should definitely be addressed by Eugene, IMHO.

BozQ: Yeah, I have unfortuantely already tried that and a hundred other things (as I believe I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum). Thanks for the URL though.

18. PITmaster

PITmaster New Member

Tim Willits is very proud of his dd5.1 sound engine. Is it a good idea just to ask him how it works in fact?

PITmaster

19. Rogacz

Rogacz Porcupine Floyd

Ah, yes, and not to mention Operation Flashpoint with it's weirdnes. Anyway, I haven't played Halo, so I didn't know it has issues too, but back to Doom 3, it's not so advanced with it's sound engine, as far as from the configuration level. As I recall there is only one sound option.