Down with AIW X800 XT

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by justalkin, Oct 11, 2005.

1. justalkin

justalkin New Member

:mad:
    I am so angry right now with this card that I am sending it back. Why? Well let me start from the beginning. After doing a lot of research and asking questions (I made a thread here a while ago asking about the card), I decided to go ahead a buy this card because it seamed so great. Well I got it today (surprised considering its Columbus Day), but at any rate, I installed the card and the UPDATED drives for catalyst, mmc, and the remote.

When I would click on the TV icon with the actual coax cable attached, all hell broke loose. There would be a long pause just for the thing to start. After it was sort of loaded, there was a lot of choppy crackling sound. It would get so bad that after a while the sound would not be in sync with the video. Also when the thing is running my computer is very slow, even thought it doesn't seem to be wasting much of the cpu (30%). The program itself is HORRIBLE in response time. You click a button and wait 40 seconds for it to do something.

After experiencing these many horrors, I updated chip sets, bios, etc. Disabled sound card (used the onboard audio) and there was no difference. I figured it must be that my comp is too slow or the card is defective. Either way I am sending it back and never going to have anything more to do with it. If you have the same specs that I have, you should not buy this card either:

AMD 64 3400+

1 GIG DDR RAM

Sound Blaster Audigy 2

400 Watt Ultra ATX power supply

maxtor 160 GB SATA hard drive

K8USA Dragon Ultra Motherboard

2. mikej

mikej New Member

I asssume you (DCPro) cleaned out the old driver set before you loaded? checked your IRQ assignments and followed the specific order of pre-req requirements and driver/program loads as ATI describes in their readme's???? I made sure the card functioned properly (WDM,no-reboot,Driver ONLY) BEFORE I loaded any MMC/Remote stuff.

I followed ATI's recommended steps and never used the driver CD or software that came with the card and it works perfectly, no delays or sound/display or capture (from any source) issues (except FM of course).... I have a stereo for that....

I have found that MMC 9.061 works best for me, 9.08 gave me intermittant capture/tv issues... with Cat 5.9's and NO CCC/CP,,, only ati tray tools (outstanding proggy IMO), clocked at PE (520/560) no problem with ANYTHING.

Sorry bout your bad luck, this is by far the finest AGP card I have ever owned............... period.

3. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

I agree with Mike...the card is fine, perhaps its configuration.

I love mine.

4. justalkin

justalkin New Member

Well just as an update after reading what you posted I went back and did manage to get the dang thing to stop its poor performance. Chanels will change fine now. The only problem now is the audio. My soundblaster audigy 2 is updated with the most up to date drivers. Perhaps it is my motherboard. Unfortunately I am not sure about these things. The card seems to work fine on games. Is there anyway I could tell if it was defective?

Edit: about the IRQ's. Its not like there is any practical way to change them from what I know. Both my sound card and graphics card share the same IRQ 11 on windows xp.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  5. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Change the slot of the sound card. Alot of mobos these days allow you to change PIRQ settings which changes how IRQ's are done.

6. mikej

mikej New Member

HEX, you hit the nail on the head, move your soundcard to a different slot until it is NOT shared with the video card, it can share with anyone else no problem. The bottom line is you want the aiw on its own IRQ by itself. I dont have an audigy, instead an older SBLive which seems to not be as sensitive to the issue. I have read posts in the past where audigy users needed to tweak a driver or (audigy) software install to eliminate the problem. I believe it may have been related to the CTHelper.exe runnin in background??? You can check in task mgr and kill the process, this wont effect the sound function and determine if helps your issue. Hang in there, it will be worth the wait...........

7. justalkin

justalkin New Member

New update. I seperated their IRQs. At first the sound card was sharing the IRQ with a few devices and the AIW was sharing with I think the USB controler or whatever. Well that didn't do anything. So I did the oposite letting the soundcard have a somewhat free IRQ. That didn't do anything either. NO DIFFERENCE. Dxdiag says the card is fine.

Now let me paint you a better picture. When this tv thing loads, it still has some issues with performance. If I try anything else while it is running everything kind of freezes. The taskmanager doesn't show that the CPU is doing much. The sound card can't be the problem here because all other applications are having the same performance problem when tv is activated. It still does popping and eventually gets out of sync with more popping. All other uneccessary processes (including the cthelper whatever) are not running.

I can only conclude that it must be my shitty ram, (It's value ram. I doubt value ram is the kind of ram you use for this kind of thing.) or the card is defective.

I noticed when I do the test thing from the catalyst control center it says it doesn't think that dma is enabled. I have an SATA hard drive, not an IDE, so I don't know if it is possible for me to enabled/disable dma.

8. mikej

mikej New Member

In task mgr make sure to check 'show processes from all users' then sort by name. If you see CTHelper.exe, right click on it and 'kill' it. Re-test your tv player to see any difference. Also try and unload all of the Audigy software and re-boot. XP should detect the card and use its own drivers instead of SB's and test again. If you want to reload the audigy software, make sure and load with the 'drivers ONLY' option. It also sounds like you cannot get the video card to a seperate non-shared IRQ likely due to your BIOS settings when you loaded XP. You may have to consult your mobo manual pci-pnp/irq/power management settings from default and reload XP to fix. FYI, just because dxdiag says the card is functioning properly by itself doesnt necessarily mean that it functions properly interacting with other devices in your sytem simultaniously... Almost every issue with these cards like you describe seem to eventually end up being related to driver/irq conflicts.

9. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

SATA and DMA don't matter. I get that crap too.

BTW I don't think its RAM so long as the rest of your system isn't ass slow when getting stuff from memory it shouldn't be an issue.

Peg it down to software.

10. justalkin

justalkin New Member

I would like to first off give my sincerest thanks for you guys trying to help me with my problem.

I would like to tell you that I had to re-format my hardrive after not being able to get the damn card to work. No other software installed, nothin, and the same problem.

I am sending the card back now. I feel that in the end it was compatibility issues with my motherboard that was the culprit. I also have onboard audio, and even when I use that it still does the same thing. I no longer have the time to work on this problem. I am still going through college and have a lot of other stuff to do. I don't need this card to be one of those things. I have a life.

Before I go, I would like to point out that even though this card may be great and powerfull it still has its compatibiliy issues. I should not have to come here and ask people for help on this damn card. It should work when it is installed, not give me all of this crap. I am not the only one with unresolved problems with this card and I won't be the last. I can only hope that in the future ati would try to make their products more compatible with different types of hardware and software than they are now. Enough said. Thank you and good bye

11. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Sorry to hear that.

I'll take it if you don't want it :lol:

12. theonlybabyface

theonlybabyface GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Big mistake taking it back. Nothing to do with the card but probably a software conflict of some sort. I LOVE my AIW X800XT!!! [​IMG]