Download & play any video on youtube metacafe etc

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by comp_ali, Feb 13, 2009.

1. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Download & play any video on youtube, metacafe ,etc

Hello there ;)

I will show you here the easiest method to download and play media files from sites like Youtube, Metacafe,Dailymotion, etc.

We will need the following :

1.Internet Download manager (Shareware/ 30 days): Download latest version from here (currently 5.15)
    2.VLC player (Freeware): Check the latest version (currently 0.9)
    After downloading & installing both software you should be able now to download & play any video shown on any website with any extension (*.flv , *.mp4 , …etc)

Okay , now let's take a look at Youtube for example.

Open any video::dead:

[/SIZE]​
    After the page load you will find a button for download (marked with orange frame in the image :dead:) click and save the file to your disk.(Unfortuately most video sites don't support resuming nor parallel connections with any download manager so you must download it in one time)

Now you should be enable to open the file with Vlc media player

Notes:

1.I tried many codecs (Storm codecs , Klite codecs ,…etc) on the web but unfortunately it didn't open some files (especially .flv). VLC Is the only one worked for me.:)

2.I didn't change any setting in the installation of VLC or ffd show video settings.:bleh:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Have you tried File2HD.com? that picks up on different aspects of sites like video and audio and lets you play them in your browser on their own instead of loading everything else on the site.
    Really useful for videos on sites where there's active content like chat boxes

3. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

users of Apple's Safari have another method (I think this works on both Mac & PC)

Window - Activity

and then find the largest file on the list, it'll be a pretty long filename with a URL starting with something like "cache.googlevideo.com"

then double click the entry, and you're downloading the file - you might need to add ".flv" to the end of the file once it's downloaded if it has no extension

you can then use a flash to video file converter (or Flash itself) to turn it into any format you want

EDIT: on my system, VLC plays the flash video without needing conversion. On a Windows system I'm assuming Flash Player will take preference

comp_ali likes this.
  4. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

I use the File Sniffer/Downloader in Maxthon2 to download such files and MPC-HC with ffdshow to play them.

5. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Great site Mousey , I remember there is also site that can capture video and convert it to any format you want but I don't remember its name right now.

6. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

i use jDownloader for this sort of thing... it downloads anything... either from upload engines or flash video sites... it's free and open source... all you need is JRE and the jDownloader package... ;)

comp_ali likes this.
  7. harryshine

harryshine New Member

Thanks for your recommend. I haven’t tried IDM yet and glad to have a try. VLC is quite a good one. But I’m addict to watching videos and download them off, so a specialized tool fits me well. Do you know Video Download Capture, I use it to record videos from metacafe, youtube, yahoo and etc.