download speeds getting slower slower and slower. using firefox via wireless

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by xenium, Feb 23, 2006.

1. xenium

xenium New Member

ok I didn't know where else to put this, so I put it here. Im using firefox as my internet browser, have sbc yahoo dsl, and Im on a wireless connection (54mb router/receiver). Anyways, I'm trying to get a version of 3dmark05. I have tried getting it from MANY different locations but still get the same result: download times are incredibly slow! They usually start out at about 50kbs, but after a minute or so, they drop drematically to about 20/25kbs. I have a very strong connection to the router. I have a very nice setup (amd 3200+, 512mb ram ect.), whilst my other computer (dell dimension 2600 i think, not very good actually) which is hardwired to my router, and I can easily get 80kbs. Is there some kind of limiter on my router that is limiting bandwidtht through it? or is it my dsl sevice? (getting 660kbsish bandwidth).

btw, my router is a linksys wrtg54s (or something like that) and I have anti-spware/virus protection so I know its not a spyware/virus thats slowing speeds down.

thanks in advance

ok, so I just tried all 4 mirrors of 3dmark05 from majorgeeks, and 3 of the 4 started at over 80, but then went to 50, and guess what? yup, they all averaged out at about 25/33kbs. im going to try my dell system, and see how fast I can get it to download.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  2. Cube623

Cube623 New Member

well you should defenatly be getting about 60 - 70kbps on any pc as i did have 576kps net and i averaged 60kps.

i'm not an expert on this (even though i have my own wireless router with 4 pc's connected to it, don't ask, i just guessed how to set up and i got lucky:D ) but is your router\access point 54b or 54g?

3. wee017

wee017 New Member

Nothing should limit connection by default, but it's probably your DSL line. Just in case hold the reset button in the back of the Linksys for 15 seconds, settings should be back to default so you would have to set up PPPoE again.

P.S.: Customer service does teach you something!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006