drive tray stuck

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by losingstreak, Jul 18, 2003.

1. losingstreak

losingstreak New Member

hi
    So i've got a DVD drive on my comp that isn't working too well. The tray opens fine. However, when i push the button to close the driver it moves in 1/5 of an inch and stays there, stuck. I push the button again and it goes all the way out again. I push the button a few more times and it does what i just described at least 3 times before it finally goes in.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this prob and if and how they fixed it or does it need professional service?

2. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

is it a toshiba?

if so keep pushing gently but not enough to break it moving it slightly left and right till it recenters itself

3. scobywhru

scobywhru DriverHeaven Senile Member

it could also be that button has come undone behind the front cover and needs to be reseated correctly and then affixed in place when its in the right spot

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I hardly ever use the button myself. I just push the front of the tray and only use the button when ejecting a disk.

5. losingstreak

losingstreak New Member

thanks for all the replies.

its a samsung drive (OEM...the comp's a dell)

but yeah, i tried wriggling it right to left and still no luck. I'm not sure i made it clear in my original post, but this happens EVERY time i open the drive. It refuses to close sometimes even when the tray is pushed slightly

the button seems to be seated fine.

6. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

In my experiance ... when a drive does what you have discribed... the tray is no longer centering itself because one of the rails has broken. Time for a replacement.