Driver Cleaner without .NET

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by qwertyuiop123, Nov 3, 2010.

1. qwertyuiop123

qwertyuiop123 New Member

Hello. I have used Driver Cleaner in the past and found it quite useful, but coming here to download it for the cleaning of this particular machine, I see it has changed to encompass .NET and moved to a paid-only model and the previous version is now unsupported and no longer offered for download.

This computer does not have .NET and won't be getting it, consequently, to use Driver Cleaner, I must download a previous version.

Before I did that, I wanted to check with you if it was still legal to download a previous freeware version from another site, and if so, what is the latest version that doesn't require .NET?

Thank you.

2. qwertyuiop123

qwertyuiop123 New Member

Spike, if you would rather answer this question via PM and then delete this thread, that would be perfectly understandable.

Or if anyone else has the authority to answer, that would be great.

Thanks.

3. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

Hi,

well it depends on the system OS, because the old free version without .NET isn't updated for such a long time and can't recommend using that 1. Also .NET Framework is used by a lot of programs these days, so why not install it?

I can only recommend safely using Driver Cleaner .NET, the old previous ones are not updated anymore and not tested anymore.

4. qwertyuiop123

qwertyuiop123 New Member

Thanks for replying Spike. It's an XP system and it's not getting .NET because it would take a couple of days to download and I suspect it's just another piece (or 4 pieces) of MS fluff that doesn't achieve much and just introduces more security vulnerabilites that need patching every other day.

Ultimately, I've never had any reason to consider .NET until now, and honestly, I don't really have the cash to spend on DriverCleaner.NET, especially as I don't know if it'll fix the problem (the computer is running very slowly).

I understand that the old versions are no longer updated, tested or supported and if circumstances change, I would like to buy the latest supported version, but until then, is it legal to download and use the latest free non-.NET version, or would that be classed as piracy?

Thanks again.

5. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

HI, its not piracy if you can find a copy. However be careful where you get it as we cant control what people may have added to any zip files etc.

6. qwertyuiop123

qwertyuiop123 New Member

Okay thanks Veridian3.

Do you know the latest (last) version available?

7. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

The last free old version is Driver Cleaner Pro 1.5

8. qwertyuiop123

qwertyuiop123 New Member

I know I'm really starting to push my luck now, but bearing in mind what Veridian3 said, do you have a checksum for the file, or just a filesize in bytes? (the one I have is 2,817,354)

If not, thanks for helping me anyway. I appreciate that you really didn't have to.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010