driver not working/installing?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by drivehard454, Jan 22, 2010.

1. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I am working on an HP Pavilion 760N desktop for a friend. This is an older computer, but works well. He wants to use it for video/ music/ movies in the rec room and a few online games. I have already upated to newer corsiar memory, 1gig, from its 512. I am trying to install an older graphics card I have, which is a Nvidia geforce fx5500 256MB. I know the MB only supports 4x AGP, and the card is 8x, but this should still work, at the 4x speed.

The problem I am getting, is I download the driver for this card from Nvidia, it seems to load, and says it is installed, but I do not get an icon, in the lower corner and I cannot open the nvidia control panel. When I go to device hardware, it says the display adaptor is not working and needs to be updated.

The operating system is windows xp, It is completely updated. More information on the computer itself, the MB is an ASUS P48266-LA, and the old Video card was a V3800M-LP.

I have tried unistalling the driver and re-installing several times but it just does not seem to function. The computer reconizes the card and it worked fine in another computer. I am a bit confused as to the problem.

Anything I may be missing here?......Thanks

2. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

You could try the original driver from the installation cd, otherwise contacting Nvidia might help. Personally I'd say that the updated driver no longer supports that card.

3. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I was thinking this may be an issue, as the other computer had an older driver with that card...not sure what version it was, and since then I have installed a different video card and the latest driver on that computer. Where can I get a list of older driver versions and will this even be an option that will work?

As for the CD, It somehow was damaged and is not reading. Thanks for the quick response!

4. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

You could try downloading an older driver, that might work. As for the driver number I would not know it, but there are others who come to this site who might if you hang around a bit.

5. asedsa

asedsa Active Member

Try Driver sweeper or Driver cleaner to clean all previous drivers, then update .NET framework, directx, vcredist. After that try to install latest available graphic driver.

Maybe it will help you, good luck.

6. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

OK thanks.....I just have to figure out how to get older drivers now.

Thanks.....will try this option also. I looked up vcredist and am wondering if that is a neccesary thing for me to download/update. Not real clear on what it actually is.

7. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

You may also want to try the actual manufacturer of the card, sometimes OEMS put pcie-> AGP bridges on the cards, and the "reference" drivers don't pick up that device ID.

8. gascieus

gascieus Under the Crimson Air

drivehard454, I can tell you for sure your FX 5500 card is NOT supported with the current graphics driver. The current drivers' minimum supported generation is the 6000 series. Having said that, there is always a way around things. You can use the inf file from laptopvideo2go, which unlocks the drivers for every NVIDIA card out there. Of course, I have no idea if this will have any adverse effects. They should work though (NVIDIA doesn't unlock 5000 series and below so they don't have to support it any further). Give it a try:

Disclaimer | laptopvideo2go.com

Download both the driver and inf from there because usually nvidia drivers automatically unpack and installs, not giving you a chance to add the inf file manually.

So what you do is download driver and inf, unzip driver to some location. Then copy/paste the inf to the drivers location, click yes to overwrite. Then look for setup.exe. Ignore the WHQL warning (the inf file prevents it from being WHQL, but not a big deal). Report back and let us know if it works :).

9. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

I would do a google search for the driver for that specific card and install that one.

I found this driver after a short search DriverDownload

Also you could try a program that does a driver update search of your PC and have it check for updates to missing drivers. Also try Windows update, and if nothing works I would go onto the Nvidia forums and ask them there.

10. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

OK guys...thanks for the advice. On the info you gave me about the newest drivers not working with the 5000 series....I just installed an MSI Nvidia geforce fx 5600xt 256 MB and the newest driver from nvidia for it and it is working. I previously had the Geforce fx 5500 256 MB in this computer but with an older driver and it was working then. Although I havent noticed any performance change.

I have tried two programs that claim they find your drivers for "free" but both only tell me they needed updated and would not go any further unless I purchased their software. Anyone know of an actual free program for this? I would like to try this first as the other option Gascieus mentioned is a bit scary for me....lol.

Thanks again

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Nvidia website has it's own utility for finding the most recent drivers for their cards. Sounds like you probably have that covered though, so I'm not sure what you mean by your question about a free utility...... do you mean for the rest of the machine? Because this is a desktop there should be no reason to have to mod the drivers like Gascieus mentioned, that's mainly a laptop/notebook deal.

There's very little if any performance difference between the FX5500 and FX5600 cards that I know of and I have both cards myself. With the latest driver available for that card now installed you should be good to go......

12. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Heres what happens. I deleted the driver through the control panel. I used the utility from Nvidia and it says it cannot detect hardware. So I download the latest 5 series driver and install. I restart and find nvidia control panel, it is in control panel but will not open. I go back to Nvidia site and use auto detect and it finds the driver, but it is the same one I downloaded. seems no matter what I do I cannot get the driver to work. Its there, says it is installed, the system can detect the video card in device hardware, but I cannot get it to work.

I have made sure I have all the xp updates, explorer updates, directx, activex, its all there.

One weird thing when I download the driver again after deleting it It seems it does not actually delete, because when I go to install it says the files are already there, and if I want to overwrite files?

13. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Do you have .Net framework installed? Nvidia's control panel demands it and I think that exactly what you described happens when it's missing.

14. Tyrsonswood

Okay, thought I read they installed and were working.... missed that bit, sorry. Do the net framework as Ivan suggests and see if that helps.

15. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I am pretty sure we did the net framework. I will check when I get there later tonight. Thanks

16. Tyrsonswood

I think it has to be net framework v2.0 which is now upgraded to 3.5 so you may need to do a microsoft update or download and install 3.5

17. gascieus

gascieus Under the Crimson Air

This is because the file you downloaded off NVIDIA is an unpacker, it decompresses to some random folder (most likely C:\NVIDIA). This does NOT get deleted whether you install/uninstall your drivers. They're just temp files. When you uninstalled the drivers and then reinstalled, it's asking you to overwrite because that temp folder already exists with the same temp files. By all measures, you DID uninstall the drivers successfully.

Now, I am confused as to why my suggestion was shot down. I just read the release notes by NVIDIA, and it clearly states the 5000 series is NOT supported - with the minimum being the 6000 series. You may have installed successfully, but that doesn't guarantee full functionality (if any functionality at all). Try updating your Windows to latest like others have suggested, then go to the laptopvideo2go site (I put the instructions in my previous post). This is usually for laptops because NVIDIA locks the drivers out for laptops (they want the vendors to support your laptops), so the modded inf file unlocks every NVIDIA card out there, which is exactly what you want.

NVIDIA's utility for finding the latest drivers is not what you want because it will detect a 5000 series card, and then give you a very outdated graphics driver (I think NVIDIA dropped support for 5000 series starting with 97.xx or so, we are now in the 195's btw...).

Reading back, it sounds like I am angry or something lol. But really, just try what I have said since nothing else is working for you anyway. I am fairly sure it's just a simple graphics driver incompatibility for you. There's no need to make it harder on yourself (unless that fix doesn't work either).

18. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

LOL gasieus...I didn't shoot your advice down.....it was just sounding a little above my technical abilities. I am sure I will figure it out from your description. I am going to check and make sure the net framework 3.5 is indeed installed. If not, I will install it and try again. If that doesn't do it then I am going to do exactly as you advised.

I think I neglected to mention that the owner of the computer completely back dated or restored to install date. So I have been doing update after update, installing drivers etc. Everytime I think I am caught up on updates, another batch comes in a couple hours later. He was all the way back to service pack 1. I remember net framework being installed but am not sure of the version. I will check in the morning.

Thanks!

19. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Gascieus, I tried as you suggested. all seems to go the way you explained to go about it. However I get the same result. Except this time I got two icons in the control panel, one being nvidia control panel, the other i can't remember at the moment but it was nvidia something...lol. I'll have to wait till I get there again to say for sure. I noticed when I downloaded this driver it was a 196 something, and the driver I have been trying to install which nvidia says is for 5 series is a 175.19. Could this have anything to do with it not working this way?

I was doing some looking on the nvidia forums and there have been a few other people having issues that are similiar, one even with the same card. It has been suggested to try older drivers. That is what I am going to try next.

Also, I made sure to download .net framework 3.5 and install. And there were more updates available which I installed.

Will update on results. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  20. eric500

eric500 New Member

version 93.71 works for me. my comp doesn't like the 175.19 version. i have all the updates mentioned above. will check laptopvideo2go for .inf reconfig