Drivercleaner ruined video drivers can't update

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by Halgir, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Halgir

Halgir New Member

I ran Drivercleaner on my Nvidia drivers. They are now reporting errors, and the video card is working incorrectly.

I cannot update the driver. I've tried downloading the driver from nvidia.com, but the installation simply stops. I've tried updating through the management program in Windows Vista, but it states that the "best drivers" are already installed.

Suggestions?

2. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

It sounds like you did not uninstall the drivers first, because then this will happen. The only thing you can do is use system restore and go back to the last point you can and then first uninstall the drivers and then run driver cleaner.

3. Halgir

Halgir New Member

Should this not be stated somewhere on the Drivercleaner site?

I've managed to fix this by installing an old driver from the Nvidia site. I'm having problems updating to the new driver now. The driver downloaded from the Nvidia site will not complete the installation, and Windows won't update it either.

The restore function has apparently been disabled, so there are no restore points.

4. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

When you run the program it states that problems could be encountered if you do not follow the detailed instructions. If you look at the instructions step 2 informs you to uninstall the driver.

"1. Disconnect the computer from the internet
    2. Uninstall driver from Add or Remove Programs and Reboot "

5. Halgir

Halgir New Member

http://www.drivercleaner.net/howto.php

That is a set of instructions provided by Driver Cleaner. Nowhere does it state that drivers must be uninstalled beforehand. If certain steps are so crucial, please make sure to include them in all versions of your instructions.

6. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

"3. When the driver process is complete select the drivers you would like to clean."

That line could probably be clearer but essentially its telling you that when you are finished uninstalling the drivers you then select the cleaning filter.

So, back to your problem... you said "I've managed to fix this by installing an old driver from the Nvidia site. I'm having problems updating to the new driver now. The driver downloaded from the Nvidia site will not complete the installation, and Windows won't update it either."

Just to clarify, does that mean that the old driver installed ok and now that it is working you still cant update to the latest version?

If so.

Try re-downloading the latest drivers from the Nvidia site (rules out any problem with the initial file. Then uninstall the old version in the normal manner. Next follow the instructions for cleaning your driver using Driver Cleaner (remember to check for updates first). Finally reboot and try to install the most recent drivers which were just downloaded.

If that doesnt work, post a screenshot of the error message along with your system specifications so that people can assist you in solving the problem.

Note: The latest drivers are 197.13 ( NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search )

7. dfranks

dfranks New Member

I too made this silly mistake. Logically thinking about it uninstalling would be the logical first step however, for those of us who might not be hitting on all cylindars it would be nice for a pop up confirmation explicitly stating that the drivers should be removed. I realize that this is a use at your own risk type product but, just a thought. I do realize the mistake is mine.

More to the point of why I'm posting this, I too was able to resolve the issues execpt I was able to install with the latest drivers. After realizing my mistake I simply went into my device manager removed the current driver and this got me back to the point you are at when you install a new video card (conceptually to the system).

From there you can use Window's install manager and point it to the appropriate extraction path that your nVidia or ATi drivers extracted to during the normal process. It will then proceed to install the new drivers. Please note I did require a restart after removing the drivers to get the system to behave correctly.

Bottom line is, we should have been bright enough to realize that it would be cleaning the currently installed driver as well however, the solution is to remove the offending/broken driver and start over from scratch. It'd also be nice to code a pop up that explicitly warns, if I clicked through that as well then I apologize :).

I hope this post helps a few individuals who may have happened down the same path.

8. RobdeVries

RobdeVries New Member

The curious thing is that I did follow the instructions to the letter, so I uninstalled the old nvidia driver after being disconnected from the Internet, no AV running. rebooted. Used driver cleaner with filter for nvidia. Trashed the bin. Rebooted. Then you get a message in W7 64 that it's trying to reinstall VGA compatible graphic drivers. You can't stop that proces. So in the device manager I tried to uninstall that W7 default VGA driver. But you have to reboot in order to deinstall the default driver. Did not reboot as per instructions and installed the new W7 74 Nvidia drivers (257.21_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international_whql) However the driver downloaded from the Nvidia site will not complete the installation. It stops with the message that the system is not changed or adapted and you should try to reinstall the driver at a later time. I did this several times with no luck. At a point even the default driver wouldn't install anymore and I had to restore the system to an earlier state.

So ...what's happening here?

Rob

9. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

in windows 7 if the system installs the default driver then that is no problem, you can just install the new driver over that. Uninstalling a driver and not rebooting before you install the new driver can indeed give problems, because when you reboot windows will still remove entries and files and that could cause your new driver to not work.

10. greengirl61

greengirl61 New Member

I would also add that Windows will load a generic Microsoft driver for any hardware if you are online while deleting a driver, it goes and gets one so you want to download your new driver to your computer-(i place mine in a folders i put downloads in) and i unplug my internet cable as well to stop Microsoft from trying to plug a new one in after I initially goin to System-Hardware Mgt and to the hardware peripheral im deleting the driver from. An icon will pop up in system tray telling you the hardware needs a driver. When you reboot, do not reconnect to internet until after you have loaded your new driver and rebooted. If all goes well, that system tray icon will be gone and you can check what version driver you have in Hardware Mgt and you should see the version listed under driver for it with date and you can smile! Driver Cleaner even mentions rebooting in Safe Mode prior to installing the new driver. I guess that way you really cover yourself. Just remember, stay off the net.