Driverheaven - Driver Cleaner 2.0

Discussion in 'Mobility Modder Discussion' started by Spike, Sep 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

alfredodeu I will fix that in my next version. I can't use that what you said, but i have an idea.

Vortex2 goto control panel and than system. There you will see display adapters. In there your videocard so be with the name Standaard Display Adapter (VGA) click on that and click update driver than select from the list Standaard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA). Than reboot and than you should be able to install ne drivers.

Did you also tried to install new drivers in safe mode or in the normal windows?

2. HawK

HawK Banned

Hi Spike I used your 2.0 DC as in the readme (safemode) but I still have the choice between the new 3.7cat.s and Omega's 24.74?
    So i checked the inf folder and OEM8.inf still hold the inf for omega's (Base INF Last Updated on 07/20/2003 by Omegadrive)
    Is this normal ? & can I delete oem8.inf safely ?

3. kimi40

kimi40 New Member

I`ve noticed that if i use the driver cleaner to clean creative audio, it will delete all creative files including the c:\program files\creative directory.

Somehow this is bad cause the new windvd5 contains creative dvd audio plugin which is located at C:\Program Files\Creative\CTDPlugin\

Just to mention it. Other than that problem, it works great. Thanks.

4. Spike

Hawk, yes you can delete that file.

Kimi40 i will fix that for the next release.

5. shima

shima New Member

After running Driver Cleaner 2.0, and cleaning all nVidia related options, I am no longer able to install any new drivers! This is not a flame! I just want some help PLEASE!

I have an MSI GeForce FX5600. I have, as of date, tried installing these drivers:

nVidia 45.23
    MSI version 44.03

Running them from the included setup.exe's, and upon restarting, the drivers are not loaded. Infact, there is no trace of them even being installed.

Installing them from the Device Manager (under "?" video adapter), and selecting the inf's results in a "Setup could not find the ...... in the selected INF".

Does anyone have any idea whats wrong?

[edit] the method I used to remove the options is as follows:

Normal Mode under Windows XP (SP1), Add/Remove nVidia drivers, before clicking [OK] to reboot, I ran driver cleaner, and cleaned out all nVidia related options. Then I clicked OK to reboot. Upon reboot, is when I encountered this problem.

BTW, does coolbits work at all with 45.23 DET's?

6. Spike

I have no idea how to fix it. The beta tester by me had no problems, but he followed the steps in the readme. Did you enabled the backup options? Also after removing the drivers you must always reboot and than run Driver Cleaner. That is all explained in the readme or in the help file.

7. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Why didn't you do it in safe mode? I thought yopu were supposed to run DC in safe mose to get rid of the protected files..

8. Spike

Yes BWX that is right. Also when you uninstall drivers and don't reboot than files are still registered by windows and windows doesn't allow those to be removed. In safemode windows does not controle drivers. That is why i included that steps system.

9. inet

inet New Member

I like to see DriverCleaner clean the Realtek Audio '97 codec so that the driver can be uninstalled properly

I think around 50% of all AMD boards have Realtek Audio drivers installed or can be installed on it, this would benefit quite a few people!

Great program btw :/

10. Spike

inet i can work on that. Can you give a link where i can download the driver and can you look in your registry for keys that belong to it?

11. s}{aggy

s}{aggy New Member

PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ran driver cleaner to uninstall my omega drivers...ran DC then uninstalled drivers from add/remove.

now computer doesnt even see my nvidia card?????

reinstalled card.....different drivers...add hardware..

still dont see cardf???

help !!! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

12. Spike

What you mean you run Driver Cleaner 1st and than add/remove through the control panel?

13. animal001

animal001 New Member

Hi. Im having the same problem. I used the cleaner before I uninstalled
    the video card drivers. Now I dont even see it in the Device Manager.
    I can't select it in the Device manager so I can install new drivers. I have
    tried installing several different Detonator drivers to no avail. I am hoping
    that with a new installation of my operating system, that all will be restored.
    I can understand the purpose of this tool is to COMPLETELY wipe out any trace of the drivers, and
    it does a good job at it. But you must understand that a lot of people will simply ignore the README
    file that you supplied like I did. I know I should have read it, and I blame myself for not doing so,
    but not everyone has the option of reinstalling their operating system. It is a very tedious
    task and wastes a lot of time. I suggest you add some sort of dialog box or some big capitalized
    letters to your program that warns the user of the risks involved instead of having to resort
    to a text file that most users wont even look at. Thanks for your time.

14. Spike

animal i am sorry that it did go wrong by you, but i find it cool that you admitted that you didn't read the readme. I will add something that when you start the program a messagebox will popup with something like:

Make sure to follow the steps in the readme or you can run into problems.

15. HawK

HawK Banned

Have you tryed to search for new HardWare ? in device manager right click on your Comp. name (top) choose scan for Hardware changes

16. tcmjr

tcmjr The Boy Next Door

Lol , I really wonder sometimes.
    Why ppl dont read the readme....
    Maybe we should name them notreadme and ppl will read.

Btw , I dont think that dev's should worry too much about newbie user , maybe the only way they learn is learning the hard way.
    All information is supplied with the tool , and nonetheless this tool is not supposed to be used by newbie (standard user) as they should not be playing around with changing driver and stuff.
    Learn the hard way like we all did in the old time , no newbie friendly interface and instruction.
    Just my Humble opinion.

17. Spike

Now i have a new way for the next version. I added a message at the program start that will state that you need to follow the detailed instructions in the readme or the can have problems. This popup can be turned off also, but it gives the new users and indication that they need to follow the steps. I hope people will than follow it so that noby experience any problems anymore

18. BountyHunter

BountyHunter New Member

Spike, first off...I think you are doing a great job with your DC utility. You're bloody awesome!
    Secondly, I have a suggestion for your next version of DC...would you be able to add such a functionality where DC can clean out the monitor information that gets plugged into the registry every time one installs a new video driver?
    I'll use RefreshForce as an example of what I mean...as you can see, I have redundant monitor information in the registry somewhere. I'm the kind of person who wants everything to be neat and tidy, and this really pisses me off about Windows XP.

Thank you for your time and consideration regarding this matter.

[​IMG]

19. Spike

Yep i am allready working on a tool for that, but until now it only works in 98/me. In xp and 2000 the os locks that part of the registry. First i need to write something that hacks it to a state that i can delete it and than set it back, but until now nothing has worked.

20. BountyHunter

BountyHunter New Member

Thank you for your reply.
    Wish you the best of luck with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.