Driverheaven - Driver Cleaner 2.0

Discussion in 'Mobility Modder Discussion' started by Spike, Sep 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vietz

vietz New Member

for cab cleaner should i clean just driver cab?

ihave windows xp sp1

2. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

viets you should select driver.cab and after that sp1.cab

3. dzjepp

dzjepp Black Mesa

Hey Spike,

Do you know how to efficiently downgrade/uninstall VIA drivers from the system? I've noticed that you mentioned that the VIA Uninstall functionality is still a little rough in Driver Cleaner and in the new 2.0 it has been taken away.

Right now I have 4in1 4.49p but I would like to go back to 4in1 4.47 because I suspect it is causing a problem on my PC and this way I would like to troubleshoot it. Can I simply install 4.47 on top of 4.49p, I would like to do it the best possible way.

And thanks for providing this awesome tool for the community - and GL with all the future development of DC and other tools. :)

4. Karmacop

Karmacop New Member

Ok, this is a long story but I was hoping someone may be able to help.

Sometimes I would get an error like this when running opengl programs

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!

Program: C:\QUAKE2\Q2E.EXE

abnormal program termination

Just as an example. This happens with quake 3 etc (not sure about d3d games), and now iut happens everytime, I can't even play.
    Anyway, I've got the latest video drivers, reinstalled windows, upgraded my bios etc but I kept getting this error.

Then I found out about driver cleaner. I followed the instructions and I no longer got the error. But, I was getting 10fps in games. Then I rebooted my machine and I got the speed back, but again I'm getting this error.

Any ideas? I find it strange that driver cleaner can fix it (sort of) and a reboot can revert it back to normal.

Thanks. Great program by the way.

5. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

try this.

uninstall drivers.

reboot into safe mode

use driver cleaner then reboot

re-install dx9.0b reboot

re-install chipset drivers reboot

re-install vga drivers reboot.

just to say also many new comers to driver cleaner has had problems by using driver cleaner without removing drivers first.and fail to read the read me included.

give that a try it might help.

6. Karmacop

Karmacop New Member

I just tried that and I get the same original error :tears:

7. Spike

dzjepp just run the installer of via and select uninstall. Than install the older version after that.

8. Phillychuck

Phillychuck New Member

So whats the fix if you didn't read the readme? I don't usually read them.

I like the concept of your program, but I feel that if you know the outcome results in a broken OS for not following proceedure your making a big mistake. Most people can't read, I've experienced it as a Sysop of a BBS for years and as a MMORG player. You can say something 20 times to 50 people and only 10% at best will read it...

I'll probably reinstall XP since I've been fooling with stuff for an hour already...

I guess a little info on which driver I goofed on would help:

Was tring to clean Nvidia for the new Forceware drivers, now no matter what version I try to install it won't take (no error), and a manual install of the driver says the device is a Code 19. Something about corrupted system file or registry.

-Chuck

9. Spike

Chuck, i made a small adjustment in the new version, for people that don't read readme's. you get now a popup telling that you should follow it or you can run into problems. Also in the new version is a new special nvidia cleaning file for people that had problems before or am not sure.

The problem you have is for every person different. Some have it and a lot not, i tried it a lot of times to see if i can get into that problem, but no effect. By me it works perfect. So i hope with that new cleaning file that the problem will be solved.

But what you can do is run the xp cd and select repair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.