Driverheaven Driver Cleaner Platinum Edition

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner Platinum Edition Support' started by Spike, Feb 23, 2006.

1. BWX

BWX get out and ride

No problem, if you want me to test something out just let me know.

2. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

BWX can you send me a email at info@drivercleaner.net, i think i have it fixed but i was hoping that you can test it, so that i am sure it is ok.

3. Eck

Eck New Member

I just ran the updater and it downloaded and installed some updated and new filters, including, it said, a SoundMAX audio filter.

When running the program, however, the SoundMAX filter isn't listed and there is no file for it in the DriverCleaner program folder (that I can recognize).

I checked for updates again, but now it says no more are available.

So I guess the filter was listed in the downloads but somehow did not install. I wonder if the other updated filters installed properly.

I had all except Explorer and Systray closed when I updated. This is on Windows 98SE.

Email - Removed by edit. No sense leaving it posted forever for all to see.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  4. Spike

Eck the new ones are Razer Mouse and SoundMAX Audio. Are you sure they are not in the directory? You can check the other filters by checking the date in the folder. What are the dates of like ATI CCC, ATI MMC and ATI WDM?

5. Eck

Eck New Member

The new one's aren't there. The dates of those files you mentioned are January 29, 2006.

It looks like the updater thinks it updated and that it has the current update, but actually didn't change or add anything.

6. Spike

Are the files readonly orso? Also can you send me an email and then i will see for a fix and mail you the file to test it. I will also send you the original file with the version numbers in it so that the live update will try it again.

7. Eck

Eck New Member

No, they're not read-only.

I have sent an email to info@driverheaven.net so I guess you'll be sending me the files to overwrite the current ones so I can run the updater again?

8. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah sure, I wasn't on-line all day.. will send that right out. :)

9. Blurayfan

Blurayfan New Member

The updater did download and install the files properly for me running WinXP Home SP2. There is a way to force the update to try again. Uninstall and reinstall the app.

10. BWX

BWX get out and ride

That new file works fine.. PC shits down normally when using same settings as before.

One thing though, I was not aware it runs all the time, and at startup.. I never checked. I thought the way it would work was like it did with Driver Cleaner Pro, but automatically... when you start the program.

As it is, it is an app running in the background- actually in the foreground.

[​IMG]

Is there a way I can have it only run when I start DC Platinum., and then check for an update, and then shut down after it finds one or does not find one? That would be great if that was possible.

11. Spike

At the start it will check for updates. Will see if i can improve it, but that will takes some time need to check into some things.

12. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Oh I see.... well it works anyway.. no more shutdown bug. :)

13. Eck

Eck New Member

After replacing with those 2 files you emailed me, I ran the updater and it downloaded and installed the updates again.

This time they actually got updated! So all is well.

Thanks for including a SoundMAX filter. I'm using an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro on that board right now, but I'm sure it'll come in handy someday. It'll be nice to be able to go smoothly from the onboard audio to a soundcard, knowing that the onboard files were fully removed.

Thanks for the fix as well. How come the original updater didn't work? Did you need to change something for 98SE? Just interested in what happened.

14. Spike

Eck glad it is fixed and thank you for testing.

I used a windows api for file moving, but i think it has problems on 98. So i replaced it with the build in FileCopy command of Visual Basic. That command copies the file and overwrites it if it exists. That command works always. I tested it on XP and it works. So that command works on all windows versions.

15. jpinard

jpinard New Member

I ordered this to help support it, since I've used Drivercleaner a lot in the past. I have to say that I do not like the idea of it running memory resident, whether it uses any memory or not. I want to download the app, use it when I need it, and move on. Running it memory resident as was mentioned above is NOT good for power users. Most of us are trying to unload startup processes and services... not add to them. You should have it only run when we ask it, and have an update button for manual updating like previously. We're smart enough to use DC in the first place... we're smart enough to check for updates on our own. ;)

16. Eck

Eck New Member

Hmm, I've got it installed on 98SE and have nothing from it running in the background.

I think I noticed something in the options regarding checking for updates automatically. The option was not checked.

Perhaps if you uncheck that option it will not load anything at Windows startup? At least, that's how it should work.

17. jpinard

jpinard New Member

I haven't been mailed the application download isntructions yet, but was basing my post off what BWX wrote:

18. Rasta Monsta

Rasta Monsta Just an Average Joe...

Man, am I glad to hear that!

:rofl:

19. Spike

jpinard, eck is right. That running in the background is only when people select that Automatically check for updates. Then it will start that automatic check program at the start of windows and will keep it running in the background. So when you don't need that, then you don't need to check that option and it will not run that automatic program. When you want to update just run Live Update and let it check.

20. jpinard

jpinard New Member

Excellent, thanks Spike!

I have a few suggestions on the new one.

1. The scroll cursor on the scroll bars is 99.9% impossible to see. Can you please use a different color there, so we can grab the scroll bar and move it?

2. You should put a link on your Drivercleaner.net Platinum page that directs users straight here. There will be some people who might not know to come to this exact spot when visting your webpage... and a direct link to bring them straight here would be great.

Everything works great though :) Thanks for a wonderful app! :D