Driverheaven Driver Cleaner Platinum Edition

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner Platinum Edition Support' started by Spike, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

PIRATA! i don't know, but the installer of DC is completely different then the program. The installer is created with use of NSIS and it works perfect. I think that "Your Uninstaller" has some problems. The installer is not bugged and the program also not.

2. PIRATA!

PIRATA! New Member

DC PE works fine (setup and program)... but as I have seen with other softwares, when Your Uninstaller! marks an installed software as a software that might be fixed ("!" mark), it means that that software has some installation problems related to some uncorrect registry entry.

I only wanted to let you know this. Thats it . :)

DC PE works good and I have tested it with NVidia ForceWares with success.

3. Eck

Eck New Member

PIRATA!, there are probably what reg cleaners see as "orphaned" files or "unconnected" to files registry entries. Letting reg cleaners "fix" this usually results in removing something the program will need at some point, possibly breaking the program immediately. See, some reg entries won't connect to its matching file until called upon by some script in the software. The file sometimes won't be created until running the program even though the registry entry is there.

Many reg cleaners used to think ATI videocard uninstall entries needed "fixing." If you let the reg cleaner fix it, you would no longer be able to uninstall the drivers and software unless you reinstalled ATI's program on top of itself (which some installers won't let you do.)

So you see that these types of utilities can be dangerous if relied upon to diagnose things. They are better used when you KNOW something is not working properly or you KNOW that there are files and registry entries left behind after uninstalling a program that you KNOW are not needed by other program's on your computer. See, sometimes software leaves behind some stuff it installed originally because these files and entries are also used by other software still on the computer. So a full house cleaning is not always advisable. It's generally safe after uninstalling a program to manually delete its folder but in most cases no harm will be caused by left over registry entries. And if your 3rd party uninstaller removes too zealously you might need a format if you can't figure out how to replace what it stupidly deleted.

The safest bet would be to use those kinds of utilities when things are broken and you're at a loss to fix. System Restore would be something to try before you let a utility start deleting stuff.

4. PIRATA!

PIRATA! New Member

I already knew about these thing related to the not connected registry entry, and I know that a third party software may not uninstall in the correct way, but I didn't know that in some software there might be some registry entry that can be not fully connected.
    This might be this case where DC PE is marked that it needs to be fixed when probably this is related on some registry entry that might need to be like that.

Thank you for every thing. ;)

5. BWX

BWX get out and ride

What program says that? Just curious.

6. Eck

Eck New Member

He wrote that it was Your Uninstaller! 2006 Pro. I remember that ATI's uninstall entry used to be removed when running an older version of jv16powertools. I needed to reinstall the driver in order to have ATI's uninstaller run as it would no longer be listed in Add/Remove after doing jv16's registry clean. I have no idea whether ATI changed its uninstaller or jv16powertools updated its software to ignore what it used to remove, but it doesn't happen these days.

See, though? You can't always trust these automatic detectors. Got to admit, however, that I still like jv16powertools. It's handy and not completely automatic as you can see what it's recommending for deletion and uncheck something if it looks like it referres to something you might need to keep. And it also makes backups of what it removes. After normally uninstalling some stuff you can check in jv16 to see what it lists as still hanging around, then search and wipe out what it finds. Pretty cool stuff. Easier than roaming the registry myself but not too automatic.

I don't like programs that are too auto and hide what they are deleting.

7. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Oh WTF, LOL- I thought he just had horrible English and was randomly putting a "!" where it didn't belong.. Telling Spike "Your Uninstaller is messed up!" LOL... :duh:

I have never heard of that programs and didn't know WTH he was talking about.

8. Spike

PIRATA! i understand what you mean. There are certain value names with values that are in the uninstall part. I think that Your Uninstaller detects 1 value name that is not there normally, but i added a key in there to remember the location of the icons so the DC PE uninstaller can remove those. So i think that is why it marks it with a !

9. OldBear

OldBear Member

10. thetaco123

thetaco123 New Member

my mom bought it for me

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  11. BWX

BWX get out and ride

LOL! ^^ :lol:

12. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i cant reg the prog on my new comp. i have entered the info from the reg email manually & copy/paste. neither works. please advise me. thx!

13. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

mike, I just PM'd you on how to manually do the registration. Let me know here if it works out for ya.

<I hope this is ok with Spike btw.>

14. Spike

Tipstaff yes that is ok.

mike2h make sure there are no spaces at the beginning or end of the info when you enter it.

15. mike2h

mike2h New Member

thx guys! it took the 'manual' way to do it. all is good with the world now;)

16. Eck

Eck New Member

Concerning Windows Vista...

I'm about to embark on the Customer Preview of Vista Beta 2. I got the DVD yesterday and have been busy downloading Virus Scanner's, beta Vista drivers for stuff I've got, reading whateever info's available, etc.

Of course I'm not about to run registry cleaners or DriverCleaner Platinum at this point. I'll be awaiting the time when you announce a compatible version.

I'll be doing this on a 2nd computer, just unplugging this one and leaving it alone so I can just swap it back onto my desk when I need a working computer if the Vista one gets messed up. I'll probably Partition Magic the Vista computer with 9x, XP, and Vista, but who knows what could go wrong. I'll try it with using BootMagic and 3 primary partitions with each one hidden when not active. Hmmm, let's see what happens! I never liked the Microsoft boot loader method with logical partion's as I'd rather let each OS think it's the only one on the computer.

Hopefully you'll get a chance to install and experiment with Vista Beta at some point as I'm sure having DriverCleaner available for it would be a great benefit. The thing still removes drivers and uses the registry for storing configurations, etc, so you know we'll all need a working DriverCleaner for quicker driver changing.

For now, folks using Vista will need to get used to deleting folders, files, and registry entries manually again. Yechh. I haven't missed that at all.

17. Spike

Eck have you allready tried it? I think it should work. I have no way of testing the vista beta here for some time. But i will also look into it. Hope i can find someone who could test it 1 time.

18. Eck

Eck New Member

No, Spike, I haven't gotten started with Vista yet. I just got the DVD and I'm in gathering mode for information regarding software, drivers, etc.

Whether I try DriverCleaner Platinum on it right at the start now depends upon what I see at first boot. If I see that Vista installed a driver for the Radeon x850PRO I'll go ahead and install the Marvell Ethernet driver I just downloaded, install and update DCPlatinum and try using the normal procedure in safe mode. I see that the Vista Marvell driver isn't signed so I'll already have the Vista driver signing turned off. I'll see whether UAC will allow me to give permission for DCPlatinum to do its cleaning. If not, I guess I'll need to turn that thing off too.

I'll leave cab cleaner alone for now. I'm not certain that'll work properly and don't really want to risk it messing up things somehow.

I think if you want Vista Beta 2 you just need to sign up for it on Microsoft's Windows Vista website and either download it or order the DVD. You just pay shipping for that and the RC1 they'll also send you when it's released. The DVD pack has both x86 and 64 bit versions included. You can install and activate it on the same computer as many times as you want and can install and activate it on up to 10 computers.

Does DCPlatinum actually search for ATI entries in the registry, wherever they may be put, or does it just look in certain known locations? Same with ATI files? I ask because I'm wondering how effective it is if Vista puts things in different places than XP does.

Now, if Vista doesn't include an ATI driver I'll just wait until another update is released by ATI before using DriverCleaner Platinum on it. Nothing to uninstall means nothing to clean!

19. Spike

Now the program searches for some registry items and the rest is looking for known locations. Will look into this more.

20. Talon_262

Talon_262 New Member

I also cannot validate my DCPE install...got the reg email and installed on Vista RC1, but it screams, "Registration Failed. Please check your information." I've double-checked every field to be positive I didn't screw things up, but it ain't letting me register it.