DS Lite

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by YAYitsAndrew, Jun 11, 2006.

1. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

Got my lite today, look how sexy. The screen is soooo much better and it feels less cheap, too.

The pictures are backwards because I have my webcam set to mirror.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  2. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Damn you :p They look real sexy. I bet the drop in weight is especially nice; how's the larger stylus though? Any less or more accurate? But I have to wait for them to be consistently moddable before I get one. I'd hate for my supercard sd to get lonely ;)

3. YAYitsAndrew

Here comes my full take on it:

The weight feels about the same to me, but the ds lite has a more sturdy feel to it. You can't squeeze it and bend the plastic like you could with a regular ds.
    It is definitely and noticeably smaller. It also looks much cooler.
    The charger port was changed to a much smaller one, which sucks cause your old charger won't work with the ds lite.
    The GBA slot comes preloaded with a blank thingy that finishes off the system so there isn't a big hole when that slot isn't in use.
    The stylus is much thicker than before and a little longer, which makes it easier to hold and use. I haven't noticed a change in accuracy; I never had a problem with accuracy in the first place.
    The on button is this cool slider that resets itself to a default position so you don't have to worry about pressing it accidentally anymore, because it's this slider with resistance in a place you don't put any pressure.
    The on and charging leds are in a very visible position, are bigger, and are equally noticeable when the system is open or closed.
    Inside, the d-pad and buttons have a very good feel to them; very responsive.
    ...With the exception fo the start/select buttons. These are of the same quality, but they are so small that they feel cheap. Luckily they aren't used too often.
    The mic was moved between the two screens, making it more natural to use than on the original ds.
    And finally, the screens are super bright and super awesome.

All in all, a great purchase for 130 bucks.

4. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

seems like an awesome change from the original, hmm, mid range gaming pc or DS lite and games...

5. ferret2004

ferret2004 Active Member

I couldn't wait 'til June so I imported a DS Lite (enamel navy) back in April :cool:

6. Ev!L-aLphA

Ev!L-aLphA | n f e c t e D

is it just me or did they they switch around the up down left right button to the other side#%????

7. YAYitsAndrew

My webcam is on mirror mode, woopsie. The pictures are backwards.

8. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Only one word comes to mind... Ripoff :(

9. Markius

Markius New Member

as good as it looks, i think ill stick with my original DS, it in itself is a quality item :D

10. Ubergrendle

Ubergrendle Semper ubi sub ubi

looks good enough that i might buy one. my ipod mini battery is almost dead (barely holds ~2hrs of charge) and i don't think replacing it is a good investment. Advance Wars, Tetris, and Super Mario brother probably is a better use of my time anyways. :)

11. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

PC gaming > consoles and hand helds any day ;).

handhelds are good for traveling on long trips IMO.

12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

?

Don't know, but i find that the DS and DS lite are far from being ripoffs...

13. Drakon

Drakon New Member

What would you consider the PSP, Sandok?

14. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Oh definately but I think its time I stop spending 6-8 hours a day on my computer and for some reason I think a DS will get me to go out more ( Not because of the DS itself but because I dont have anything entertaining at home, if that makes any sense)

15. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

well, if that fits the bill, then go for it :).........but not until after you get your new rig ;)

16. YAYitsAndrew

One really great thing about the DS is it automatically sleeps when you shut it and resumes the second you open it. It can sleep for a week straight or something without needing a recharge.

What this means is, even if you only have 3 minutes, you can pop open your DS, play something, then close it and leave it on and continue the next time you get 3 minutes. Sometimes I play a single game of advance wars over the course of the day this way.

17. Markius

Markius New Member

<3 advance wars dual strike :D

i must get back into it and finish it off....

18. Sandok

Sandok New Member

The DS ain't a ripoff but the fact that people shell out money for a "normal" DS just to see a better, brighter and sexier handheld later on the market is imho, a real ripoff. I'd HATE to have to buy a "edition 2" that fixes some problems. Hardware should be perfect the first time out.

Well not a ripoff since they didn't release a PSP Lite yet :hmm:

19. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

The DSlite looks real nice, but I don't want a white one, I'm waiting for a better color, preferably black. White will show too much dirt and discoloration too quickly.

I also HATE how the GBA carts stick out. I play just as many GBA games on my DS as I do DS games and the DSlite makes that inconvenient. I know many people don't care about that, but I do.

The GBA cart slot issue is the single biggest flaw in the DSlite design. Not only does it further push GBA games into obsolescence, it will also create confusion/aggravation when they start making different size DS option paks. They already have a smaller rumble pak in Japan.

Do you think Nintendo will swap option paks for you for free? (just the price of shipping the old one would be fair) No. If some poor sap buys a game with a DSlite option pak and he/she only has the old style DS, they are screwed.

How long will it be before you won't be able to find the option paks for the old DS? I can see it now, you have an old DS, but the game with the option pak is only available for the lite.....

They also made sure that just about EVERY accessory that you can possibly have for the old DS is useless on the DSlite. yay... :rolleyes:

They may call it the DS "lite", but it has a dark side.

I would rather just have my old DS fit with those brighter screens...oh wait, not an option. :rolleyes:

20. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

actually your insane to even think that..

what peice of hardware that you know of that is completely if not close to flawless?

There's not a car/computer/monitor/tv/oven/microwave/you bloody well name it that is "flawless/perfect"

What do i like about Asus? The fact that they usually make Revisions of the same board to make it better, faster, easier, and more powerful and more capatible.

Same reasons that a DS-lite is actually quite nice to see. You already got a DS? tough, nintendo in any form or way isn't forcing you to guy and buy the dslite as well.

It's like complaining that ford brought out the mustang, then about a half a year later, brought out a mustang coupe. Seriously, it doesn't make any logical sense to complain, same reason i can't complain when ATI brought out the x1800, and i may or may not have gotten one, only to find out that almost no more then 3 months later, they spit out the x1900 series. Should i be pissed?