DS Lite

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by YAYitsAndrew, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Drakon

Drakon New Member

What are you smoking, Sandok? Which piece of hardware is perfect in it's first revision?
    And like Judas said, no-one including Nintendo is forcing you to buy the DS Lite.

2. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Every 3D card ever bought buy you or me is perfect when you get it. You never have a X850 XT PE Edition 2 or 7900 GT Edition 2 now do you? So please, before you think I'm smoking myself crazy, think.

And I know you ain't forced to buy it but it makes your product look obselete and I don't care what you think, I dislike that. Sequels are fine (the example of Juda's X1800 and X1900) but revisions of the current thing does make it seem sorta well, imho not great.

I don't really care my PSP is still the same great PSP in the shops. Just voicing my opinion but with Nintendo fan boys, I forgot how violent it can get :hmm:

3. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

I just bought a DS lite and New Super Mario Bros. :) its charging now, Im not sure if I can play it while charging, Im almost positive I can but I need to research first :)

4. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

ahh screw it its getting played

5. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

I might have actually bought a psp if they hadn't said that the sticking button was "by design". This was before the failure of the UMD format and the lack of any games that interest me (except katamari). Now I just plain don't want one and I don't think a better design with better battery life will change that.

Back on topic, the white ds lite is actually coated in plastic; you don't interact with any sort of white surface that can be dirtied. So I wouldn't let dirtiness sway you if that's the only issue. Waiting for black is legitimate though.

I was really disappointed that they changed the charger interface, I was looking forward to sending my old one home and using it there. Looks like I'll be selling my old DS to a guy at work anyway, so it's not much of a concern anymore.

I thought the regular DS was perfect until they announced the lite, then I was like "y'know, it IS hard to play the system in broad daylight...". This was actually my main reason to buy it because I play it in the morning waiting for the transportation to work.

6. Drakon

Drakon New Member

You can argue that there are no " X850 XT PE Edition 2 or 7900 GT Edition 2" vid cards, but as you and I know both know no card is "perfect," even if it's the 1st and only revision. Sure, most cards work fine out of the box, but they all have flaws whether considered to be major or minor by the manufacturer and/or consumer. Would you consider loud fans or crappy heatsinks or overheating parts to be perfect? I'm curious though, what's your definition of "perfect?"

Ah ok! So I'm guessing the current PS2 is also a "ripoff" seeing as it's a revised version of the original, huh? Honestly, why would Sony release another version of the PS2 if the 1st version was "perfect?"

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

wtf... the x1800 to x1900 is pretty much identical.. they made a few revisions to to make it more apatising... increased the clocks a we bit.

Hell there is even a x1900 set of crossfire cards out .. multiple revisions...

the funny thing is, most people don't realize it. What about the 9500np to 9700pro mods..... revisions later fixed this to both prevent it and to make sure it wouldn't work.

Later revisions have changed the DVI compliancies, the ramdacs, the chips themselves....

Every ATI chip residing inside the same generation are variations in revisions. There is a version, then the revision of the exact same chip usually produce with a "slightly" larger number to usually show difference... you won't see a x1900xtx rev 2 due to them calling it something else like x1950xtx or something.

AND wtf? Didn't i mention the Asus boards? Nforce 2 boards.. rev 1 and 2...

how bout Optical drives.. how bout the cards, monitors.. you probably don't even realise the number of revisions that are made to everything.

D-link 604 routers... there are A-B-C-D-E and i think F revisions.. and then within each.. are anywhere from a A-F of 1-3 i think.

And i guarantee you, sony will most likely come out with a revised. .and even better version of the psp..

and i laugh because sony produced a revised version of the PS2, that pos skinny sucker that breaks down easy... there new revision was a total load of BS... at least these DS Lite seem to be an upgrade... not a downgrade.

8. Drakon

Drakon New Member

What about the 9800 Pro? There were versions circulating that had R360 cores on them instead of R350's. Yes it wasn't called Radeon 9800 Pro Version 2, but it was still a revision done to the original 9800 pro none the less.

Another example is the 1st version of the DFI Ultra-D mobo which you could have modded to turn it into a SLI board. When Nvidia found out this and made a stink about it, DFI revised the board so this couldn't be done. They still kept the original's name even though it's a different version.

9. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Well Im pretty sure im returning it tomorrow, not only did I just realize im broke now because I bought it but it doesnt have the "wow" factor the PSP did for me. So Ill take my $174 dollars back use it towards a pc component, clothes, and my car.

10. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

Here's my game recommendations for everyone:
    Advance Wars Dual Strike (turn-based strategy)
    Mario & Luigi Partners in Time (rpg)
    Mario Kart DS (racing)
    Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (platformer)
    New Super Mario Bros (platformer)
    Kirby Canvas Curse (get it used, good use of the stylus)
    Phoenix Wright (detective/lawyer mystery)
    Metroid Prime Hunters (fps)
    Brain Age (brain stimulating tool)

Then there are the games that are good if you have someone to play with:
    Tetris DS
    Nintendogs
    Animal Crossing

11. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Truthfully every console rushes its product out and upgrades, tweaks, and fixes it sometime down the line while still offering the same price for it. So Anyone buying a console when it is first release should expect it to be defective in one way or another. That's why I wait a year or so : )

12. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Did I ever say tha Sony doesn't ripoff their clients? I find that stupid slim PS2 just a marketing ploy. Utterly stupid :(

Anyways I don't really care... Go ahead, bash away cuz really, I have better things to do than try to defend a product I don't really care for. And I'm not "attacking" nintendo, I don't really care for the DS it was just an observation and I still stand by it. Hell, I'm out of here. :rolleyes:

13. Drakon

Drakon New Member

Typical response from you, Sandok, especially when things don't go your way. I expected no less, kiddo :rofl: :lol:

14. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Too bad, but if you're broke, it's definitely not worth having a ds, probably not worth getting one in the first place ;)

And as for what I'd recommend, get some sort of flash card for the ds (supercard, m3, etc) and the ds becomes a media center of sorts.

15. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Yes daddy.

16. Drakon

Drakon New Member

:rofl: :lol:

17. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Well Technically I could of afforded it but i wouldnt of had any money at all for the rest of the week. When I purchased it i thought I had a litte more then i did but a quick recount of my cash proved me wrong :)

18. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Wusses laugh, destroy each other! I mean wut : )

19. The Ender

The Ender The Last of the Eld

The DS Lite is completely worth it. I know numerous people who are selling their old DS's to upgrade to a Lite. And while most of them grumble about Nintendo as they shell out the extra money, I'm not sure if it's a cheap marketing ploy, as this is the third "upgraded" hand-held system they've released (after the Game Boy Advance SP and the Brighter version of that) or a good example of how companies should upgrade their designs as new technology becomes available. I never owned the original GBA or the DS, I went straight to the SP and the Lite, so maybe my opinion isn't the best [​IMG] However, I still have to say that even though it's as powerful and plays the same games as the original DS, it still feels like a new system.