[DSP effect request] mono=less resources?

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by JGSF, Mar 25, 2007.

1. JGSF

JGSF New Member

Hi! I'm setting up my cards so I can use them as a mixer for me and 3 more band members that use in-ears (it works wonderfully, by the way).

Appart from the connections I have made to achieve that, I am struggling with DSP resources problems due to the amount of noise gates, compressors and gain plugins i am using.

I have 4 mixer's set up, each one goes to one output (rear, front, subwoofer+center, headphones), so each one of us can set the levels as desired.

Most of the times, I am doing this: take as an example the line in, which is stereo. So the left channel receives the signal from the acustic guitar and the right channel receives the signal from the electric guitar. In the mixer I pan both to center and it's fine.

Now the request:

I am using the noise gate from ProFx, the Gain plugin (basic sub-menu), and the APS compressor between each input and each mixer, to keep the signal levels constant.

These plugins are stereo, would it be worth (in terms of DSP resources) to have mono versions of these?

Because there's no DSP resources for assigning a noise gate->gain->APS compressor to each mono channel plus four MX8 mixers.

I hope I have explained myself correctly.

I would need mono versions of the ProFx noise gate, Gain and APS compressor plugins, if the saving in DSP resources justifies it.

Thanks in advance! ;)

2. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

???ProFx noise gate comes also in a Mono version. Right?

Gain or HQ gain are simple plugins, so it's easy to make mono versions.
    (probably can do it yourself)
    Same goes more or less for the APS compressor. (Ask Russ since he has an updated version/sources)

Note that in general, mono versions do not save [stereo version/2] resources.
    Stereo plugins often share alot of GPRs for L&R channels, so the resource savings will be more on the number of instructions used.

PS:
    btw; Mixers (like MX6/8) use up alot of resources because of all the diff. busses.
    Best to customize them leaving out stuff you don't need.

/Lex.

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

In addition to what Lex stated, some of the stereo plugins are not true stereo, so you will not save much in the way of GPR's (in some cases (i.e. Noisegate/Compressor) there is only 1 GPR difference between mono/stereo versions (but, if you are using several, it all adds up)).

A mono GainHQ could save 3 GPRs (1 for for the regular gain plugin) -- times the number of gain plugins used.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  4. JGSF

JGSF New Member

Yes, there's already a mono version of the ProFx Noise Gate, sorry. Silly me.

I don't have any DSP programming skills (the closest thing I've learned was 8086 assembly), and I wouldn't know what to "chop" in the code. But I'll take a look and see if I can do anything.

I'll be trying Russ's version of the APS compressor, I notice a strange behavior in the original APS compressor (in attack and decay).

Any little saving is always better than no saving... :D

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  5. Lex Nahumury

sorry my fault, i had mistaken you for someone else.
    FIY: none of the mentioned plugins can be "chopped" succesfully without C++.

6. JGSF

JGSF New Member

I see... Could any of you make a mono gain plugin or tweak that one (assuming it would be simple for you and it would only take a few minutes)? :oops: thanks.

7. Lex Nahumury

Sure, but do you really need a 'Gain'?
    (hmm, proly coz of the compressor losses, right)
    There's a Mono Volume plugin (attenuates only).

Russ, just announced a mono aps compressor version.

8. JGSF

JGSF New Member

Yes, I need gain too. If possible set the max gain to 20dB or something. Thanks again. :)

9. JGSF

JGSF New Member

Any progress? :oops:

10. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

heres a small lesson to make a simple mono gain that adds gain instead of attenuating only..

With the slider at 0%, out = in (out = in x 1)
    with slider at 100%, = about a 25db gain.

Hope that helps. Im no expert, and its probably wrong in many ways, but the above works.
    Want more or less gain - change the 'interp' line
    for 1x -10x gain use Interp t, 0x1, Volume, 0xA
    for 10x -30x gain use Interp t, 0xA, Volume, 0x1E

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  11. Lex Nahumury

Sry misunderstanding. I meant; " Sure, I/anyone could etc..." but I have no time.
    Ask Russ.

FIY: if you want to maintain best possible audio signal quality for recording,
    amplifying it in DSP using such huge gain factors is not a good idea.

12. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Sorry, the above is a little misleading. Although you save some GPRs when compared with the stereo versions, you will actually use more GPRs when using multiple mono versions.

i.e.
    A 'x' number of mono_gain plugins -vs- the same 'x' number of stereo_gain plugins will obviously use less GPRs, but if you use the stereo_gain plugin as if it is controlling 2 seperate mono inputs (which is really what it does), then you save more GPRs than you do when using seperate mono_gain plugins.