DSP effects as VST

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by phankiejankie, May 10, 2004.

1. phankiejankie

phankiejankie New Member

I gave a look at the Kxi today and a very strange idea popped in my mind... Since it seems that Kxi is nothing more that just an automation thingy, I wonder if would it be possible to make a Kxi that could load as a vst effect in a host program (sequencer, multitrack etc.) and act as a warper for the DSP effects.

What I am trying to say is, if it is possible to use the DSP effects of the KX drivers as VST effects to gain some more CPU cycles for other things since the DSP effects use the Emu Chip.

Sotiris :)

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

this is exactly what kXi was for
    use the fxbus and fx router to work asio outputs in the dsp
    set asio 2/3 to fxbus 2/3 and send that to an effect in the dsp, then send that to the asio inputs in the epilog

btw these routings can be changed (depending on your setup)

3. phankiejankie

phankiejankie New Member

I am something of an amateur with the Kx routing things but does this means I can for instance insert the Kxi in an insert channel in fruity loops and the DSP effect will affect only the particular channel and not overall sound ?

If thats true then very cool... Though this means I need to open the plug-in in the Kx DSP window and route it in the FXBUS right ?

I wish the kxi was as simple as just selecting you effect though a nice menu on it and just go... :)

Could you provide a nice picture of how I could route the effects since you are something of a wiz regarding the Kx driver... Thanx in advance man :)

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

im not onmy kX computer at the moment, but refer to the getting started guide in my sig for links
    the kX Router from the main window will have a number of options, change under the ASIO item, 2/3 and make sure they output to fxbus 4/5
    in the dsp connect fxbus 4/5 to a plugin, then connect the plugin to the epilog (asio 0/1 for example)
    create a new audio track in your program, and set that to input from asio 0/1 (or asio 1/2 if the program starts counting from "1")
    that second audio channel will be the effect audio from the first

5. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

>>What I am trying to say is, if it is possible to use the DSP effects of the KX drivers as VST effects to gain
    >>some more CPU cycles for other things since the DSP effects use the Emu Chip.

(There is some misunderstanding here I think)
    No, it's (currently) NOT possible to use 'kX's Hardware DSP effects' as VST(i)-plugin effects in a VST host..!

You can ofcourse route the host's ASIO in/ouputs through kX's DSP effects during Record/Playback and
    under kXi's automation control (as DJ_Stick describes).

/LeMury

6. phankiejankie

phankiejankie New Member

Yes it seems that some misunderstanding took place in here...

DJ Stick (whos is very helpfull I must say) describes a painfull procces of getting the DSP into play. All this routing is good but it doesn't help in a project portability and compact. Routing the Asio Channels into effects and then "sampling" them back using the Asio inputs is great for permanent set ups but doesn't quite fit with quick experiments.

So I count your words LeMury and it seems that you can not use the DSP as a VST effect but is it possible though ?

Smiles Sotiris :)

7. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

it may be a painful way of doing it… but due to the DSP and VST limitations… it is the only way, but as for those who often do this sort of thing, it wil be second nature

8. Lex Nahumury

>>All this routing is good but it doesn't help in a project portability and compact.
    >>Routing the Asio Channels into effects and then "sampling" them back using the Asio inputs is great
    >>for permanent set ups but doesn't quite fit with quick experiments.

Maybe so, but you have to see things in the right perspective;

1. There are only a few (very expensive) Pro audio cards who's onboard Hardware DSP can be actualy
    used as a VST in a VST compatible host.

2. It is mainly due to todays Gigahz mainstream PC's, that Soft-DSP solutions (VST(i) and alike)
    are becoming reliable "Real Time" effects.

Bearing these facts in mind, kX drivers + an $25,- Creative card still wins in terms of value for money.
    Also; personaly I think that kX's DSP effects are going to be used more and more during Recording phase only, (replacing expensive outboard gear), and less during mixdown as CPU power keeps increasing.

>>......it seems that you can not use the DSP as a VST effect but is it possible though ?

Yes, it is theoreticly possible, and there were/are some plans to implement such functionality,
    but the (programming) efforts to do so still outweight the overall gain.

/LeMury

9. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

a good way to theink of the DSP, is a simulated outboard hardware rack system.
    In your asio host you go through the same steps you would when using hardware gear, and then correctly set up the DSP

when i have the time i will write an advanced guide for this and put it on the knowledgebase

10. phankiejankie

phankiejankie New Member

Yeah that must be said :) Kx is great value for money...

Well that is how I use the effects right now, only in the recording phase, some compression (the dynamics plugin is great) some reverb perhaps... Anything to allienate my CS15D 1978 sound :)

Thanks guys...

11. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the kX project has allowed thousands of people to express their creativity whithout emptying their wallets… i am proud to even my guide on the official website

but now back on topic - yes the DSP plugins are very useful in the recording phase, but can also be pretty useful as fx channels - ever tried sidechaing a compressor on a bassline to the kick drum?

12. Lex Nahumury

>>.. yes the DSP plugins are very useful in the recording phase,
    >>but can also be pretty useful as fx channels....

Absolutly! Once understood, kX's DSP possabilities are numerous
    and not restricted to one particulair musical setup/application.

My "ponderings" on possible future kX fx usage is just me 'thinking out loud'
    on how to (re)direct and adjust my personal programming efforts for the project.

/LeMury

13. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

i am actually writing a guide atm to set up an asio host and the dsp to put fx on channels… may take a while due to time restrictions (1 week?)

14. phankiejankie

phankiejankie New Member

Ofcourse it gives that nice pumpin' effect :) But not with the Kx effects only with regular VST technology :)

Waitin' for that DSP guide DJ Stick... Actually I got the Behringers... Nice... for their price!! A little short on the middles though :(

15. smasha

smasha New Member

"sidechaing a compressor on a bassline to the kick drum?"

How do you do that?

16. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

alright use the dynamics processor in the DSP

your sequencer set the bass drum to have two outputs - 0/1 and 2/3 (you may need to send it to a bus to do this)
    set the bass line to have an output of 4/5 (these are all changeable)

in the kX DSP connect the 2/3 line to the first two inputs of the dynamics processor, and 4/5 to the second pair (this pair is labled sidechain anyway i think)

don't forget to click the "toggle sidechain" checkbox to give it a tick

the APS Compressor+ can also be used like this

To get the sound you like just play around with the various settings

17. smasha

smasha New Member

Thanks mate-I'll give it a go.

18. smasha

smasha New Member

I can't get past the first step outputting my bass drum track on bus one to bus 2.

Heeelp.:D

Ok I copied my bass drum wav to another track and sent it to buss two but I couldn't hear my bass wav which was metering but no sound audibly which is set on bus 3.

I'm getting in deep water here lol.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  19. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

i can't help you with your sequencer unless you are using logic -if you are this page will help

20. smasha

smasha New Member

I'm stumped -these drivers are too complicated for dummies like me.