Dual-Card Graphics Sales Almost Nil

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: ExtremeTech
    ________
    If you've recently bought a dual-card PC graphics setup, you're not alone. Just barely, anyway.

According to an analyst report released Friday, dual-card graphics setups made up just $28.4 million in sales during the second quarter, or just 0.48 percent of the $5.883 billion recorded in desktop graphics sales during the second quarter, according to Jon Peddie Research.

2. Bar81

Bar81 New Member

Not surprising. It's imo a silly idea. Looks like many others feel the same.

3. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

I would really like to know how they got their information. How would they know who bought two graphics cards and who didn't.

4. Exceededgoku

Exceededgoku New Member

sales of 2 cards at once... which isnt entirely accurate but anyway I would never buy a 2nd graphics card unless it was for physics, what is the point in about 1.5x the performance for 2x the price and heat... f**king retarded idea imo, id prefer dual graphics cores on one die

5. ChrisW

ChrisW New Member

I would only purchase a second card if my current single card was too slow and I could purchase a second card real cheap. Of course, I would have to already have a second PCI express x16 slot available. I'm not paying the insane prices for a new motherboard just to get more PCI express x16 slots though, so this is not an option.

6. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

SLI and Crossfire are still relatively new (not a technology stand point but on the market). It would seem an intelligent customer would buy a card then they can buy another sometime down the road when it is much cheaper to boost performance.

I don't know why someone would buy two of the most top end cards if they were just gaming.

Edit: Which is where the market is for graphics cards.

7. Paradox Enigma

Paradox Enigma Lurker

The only problem with the "buy one now and buy another one later" plan is that the makers of these cards are moving on to new GPU's so fast that your original GPU is discontinued before it's cheap. Case in point - Geforce 7800GTX... I can't get a new one for significantly less.... only if I'm willing to buy used from ebay, or get a re-furb.