Dual-Screen VGA/DVI issue

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Uxot, May 8, 2014.

1. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

Hi..So recently i got an headset for xbox that allowed me to use HDMI cable to my second screen (instead of blurry vga) so i can have sound + HDMI but my PC is plugged to it too (second monitor both were DVI connected before)

ATM its screen(1) = DVI / screen(2) = HDMI UNTIL today i got an VGA/DVI converter so i can plug my PC to second monitor DVI dongle --> to VGA input on screen(2)...Main monitor is fine on DVI but second when i put the source to VGA it goes on power saving mode and display properties says "Display device on: VGA" and when i click apply it says "unable to save display settings"

so yeah..tried installing monitors drivers but changed nothing..

So have to unplug HDMI and plug to xbox everything i want to play xbox..vise versa (also using my second monitor to play ETS2 with my G27 setup..)

confused to what to do now to make it work :(

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

In all honesty, your post is so confusing, I'm not sure anyone can actually make heads or tails of just what you're attempting or how you're going about it.

Have you got it fixed yet?

3. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

Sorry if its hard to understand my english is not 100% perfect...but i ordered HDMI to VGA cable (HDMI output from card to monitor) ill see if that works tried 2 adapters yet none worked so..kinda weird

but mostly i was trying to plug my monitor VGA ouput to card DVI (with a DVI/VGA adapter) but screen was staying black and windows not seeing it (tried both analog/digital button on screen)

4. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

Is that your system in your sig?

I am actually having dual display issue as well but not on discrete graphics. I am using an A10-7850K using onboard graphics. I am connected via HDMI and VGA and I randomly get displays not being detected when I boot the system (sometimes it is one monitor, sometimes its both). If I turn on the monitor sometimes first before I turn on the system, it won't be detected. Sometimes the output on the VGA display is only half the screen.

On 14.4RC, I have minimized the problems from occuring so far by not installing catalyst control center and just controlling the two displays with Windows settings as it would black screen whenever I set the displays with catalyst control center on next boot once the systray is loaded.

I am going to try the latest 14.4 that they "fixed" although I don't see anything in the notes about this issue. The last 14.4 WHQL was even worst for me as it was giving me black screens on single monitor display randomly.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  5. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

Hum ok mine is weird when i unplug like xbox HDMI and plug to it monitor i have to press the source button so it detects the digital source again..not gonna uninstall CCC..mine sometimes too in boot is only 1 screen detected...anyway still on waiting on the cable then ill see

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Have you enabled in the graphics drivers the second monitor?
    Have you "informed" the graphics card from the control panel what each monitor is and what resolution it runs at?

7. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

well second monitor windows doesnt see it when plugged with VGA even with proper monitor drivers installed :/

8. Trusteft

Have you tried changing the ports? Perhaps there is a hardware problem

9. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

well tried to plug to my screen 1 instead..same results

10. Trusteft

Can you try to use the monitors on a different PC?
    IF I get what you are saying, it appears there might be a hardware or software issue with your graphics card/windows.

11. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

ok I "fixed" my problem finally. Deleted the AMD folder on the C drive. lol.
    All the graphics drivers are in the program files ATI folder anyway. Although my device manager is now showing USB drivers not installed, but still recognizing my USB3 thumb drive and transferring at USB3 speeds, so I 'm not complaining.

12. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I don't recall having anything exactly like what you're describing. Have never had problems with VGA-connected monitors.

BUT...if I was having this problem, this is how I would go about trying to resolve it....

In Device Manager, select ... one at a time...each monitor.
    Then, proceed to Uninstall the monitor and also place a check in the box to Uninstall the drivers for it. Do this with any other monitor connected and showing in Device Manager.

Then, go to the Display Adapters. Select the GPU that's installed and Uninstall that, too. And, also place a check in the box to Uninstall the Drivers.

Once done, SHUT DOWN the PC completely.

Once it has completely shut down, Start it back up and let Windows redetect each of the connected devices and install the drivers for each.

It sounds to me like some drivers have gotten corrupted or somehow not properly recognized and this SHOULD sort the drivers out to work as they should.

Good Luck!

13. Trusteft

Good, I am glad the problem was solved.
    Happy gaming.

14. Uxot

Uxot Active Member

Well my problem isn't solved i got a busy week-end sorry could not answer ill try what Dyre said if the cable i ordered doesn't works,thanks :)