Dusty

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Takaharu, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Believe it or not, this system is from a smoke-free environment and it's not particularly dusty either. Well, it doesn't look like a dusty environment anyway.
    Yep, leagues away from other systems posted around the Internet that have carpets of dust on them but this just really surprised me, considering it's only been a few months since it was last cleaned.

Looking at the IO panel I decided that it would be a capital idea to clean this thing.
    [​IMG]

Just look at those rubber covers! They're supposed to have gaps in them.
    [​IMG]

Considering the state of the rest of this area, I'm amazed that one of the VGA ports isn't completely caked in dust (top-right from this angle, the other three ports were occupied).
    [​IMG]

Similarly, the PSU appeared to get off scott-free.
    [​IMG]

What a state!
    [​IMG]

This case stands upright, yet that's how bad the side panel is.
    [​IMG]

The front vent. Poor thing.
    [​IMG]

You'd never believe the state of the inside.
    [​IMG]
    See? Told you you'd never believe it. However, this is quite deceiving...

I think that a spider decided to make this its home at one point.
    [​IMG]

Evidently, even a spider can choke to death (I never did find one in there).
    [​IMG]

Can you believe the state of that motherboard, considering the state of the PSU?
    [​IMG]

Look at the previous pictures then look at the CPU fan. It's a lot cleaner than I would have expected. Please, someone explain how the RAM is clean!!!
    [​IMG]

More "artwork".
    [​IMG]

Luckily for the spider it's not a gaming PC so the GPUs don't really get hot.
    [​IMG]

I really don't understand how these can be that clean.
    [​IMG]

The whole system is absolutely caked in dust, yet the motherboard dodged it all. Maybe Gigabyte used some dust repellent spray?
    [​IMG]

Yup, this really is before I started cleaning.
    [​IMG]

Front filter, as expected.
    [​IMG]

These 5.25" bay covers have seen better days.
    [​IMG]

Needless to say, I cleaned it all. All looks pretty good but I didn't go nuts with cleaning; I just blasted the system with a compressed air generator.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

A bit...

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I generally do a good cleaning inside my system about every 3 months.

It's actually not surprising to me to see that much build up on a system due to how the fans are designed to pull the air into the system and then back out. Most of that dust is in the air flow channel/corridor if you want to call it that.

I could tell you a story about having to work in a dust-free environment. This was one where we had to go through two separate pre-entrance rooms, get vacuumed off and then put on disposable lint-free garments...including head covering and booties...before entering the main work area.

4. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Are the fans also generally loud? Just maybe it's also a setup that pulls much more air through it than it needs on a daily basis, increasing the amount of dust particles that it pulls in by equal measure. You could also have a go at blocking some unfiltered holes to avoid air getting in that way.

5. Takaharu

It wasn't really surprising that it was dusty, more the fact that it looked like it would have carpets of dust on the inside judging by the outside, only to find that the motherboard was pretty clean.
    Also, my PC doesn't get that dusty, though it is in a different room.

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Is the machine on 24/7?

People tend to "pull" dust along with them in the air behind them, and if the case is directly on the floor along or near a high travelled route through your home it'll "inhale" more dust than you think, especially one on 24/7. If it is directly on the floor you could try raising it up, maybe sit it on a platform about 2-3 inches off the ground. That reduce how much air, and in turn dust it sucks up off the floor.

7. Takaharu

Yup. It's also on a ledge a good few inches off of the floor.

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

the closer to the floor you get.... the worse it generally is..

I clean my case roughly once every 6+ months.

With my Raven 02, pulling the cover off usually shows nothing substantial for dust but the ultra MICRO stuff.... no puffs or anything.. the raven 02's intakes fans with the filters are phenomenal. Also considering I keep my fans in around the 300-500rpm range even while at full load.... means that the amount of air being moved is CONSIDERABLY lower so it's not likely to draw.

And in the fact that everything Is vertical mounted... video cards and such.... they essentially don't "gather" anything at all. I simply won't be getting another case ever in the future that isn't a 90 degree system.... it's just.... perfect.