dvd drive "gone" says my system probably after wrong inf update

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by necrophyte, Mar 13, 2009.

1. necrophyte

necrophyte New Member

yesterday i tried a driver update app (driver genius professional edition) in order to see whether there are some updated drivers for devices i cannot find drivers for or dont know where to look and it found a chipset driver (intel_inf_9101012). i ran that update and since it didnt tell me that my hardware was incompatible, which it should have told me, since intel driver updates etc. always tell that, i didnt really look at the installation and it finished normally. since restart, my dvd drive has problems in the device manager and it isnt present in my computer.

device manager says:
    Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

i rolled back the drivers for the devices i can remember of being updated by that inf update, which i afterwards found out was only for some specific desktop boards.. but the problem still persists - maybe i didnt roll back the faulty one, since everything else works fine (now i installed the newest correct inf update released today for my chipset).

my specs:

hp 8510p gb967#akn business notebook
    winxp pro sp3

wrong inf update intel_inf_9101012 installed (correct would be intel matrix storage manager 8.8.0.1009 & intel chipset software installation utility 9.0.0.1008 for ich8/9)

dvd drive: hl-dt-st dvdram gsa-t20L
    driver ver. 5.1.2535.0, date 01.07.2001

also a device called
    IX9500U GVP631H SCSI CdRom Device
    now appears twice under DVD/CD-ROM Drives together with hl-dt-st dvdram gsa-t20L and has the same driver.

i also looked at the device manager in the devices by connection view and saw that:

hl-dt-st dvdram gsa-t20L
    is under
    Primary IDE channel
    which itself is part of
    Inter (R) ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850

and

the two
    IX9500U GVP631H SCSI CdRom Device
    are below
    SCSI/RAID Host Controller

so now i know which deveices probably caused the problems - Inter (R) ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850 & SCSI/RAID Host Controller.

i tried booting the notebook with my os cd and it succeeded, so the problem is only with windows..

i also tried physically removing the drive, booting (when booted, windows detected this IX9500U GVP631H SCSI CdRom Device two times again although the drive was removed) and inserting the drive back while in windows, and the problem is still there.

this is what those "3" dvd drives now look like. is it maybe a conflict problem? i have no idea what this IX9500U GVP631H SCSI CdRom Device is supposed to be as it is still recognized when the dvd drive (hl-dt-st dvdram gsa-t20L) is physically removed and appears twice in my device manager..

devmgr.jpg (199 KB)

the only other thing i can imagine of being possible is a kind of mounted drive caused by pinnacle tv center pro 5.4.1.3038 i also installed yesterday, which now is in a row with my dvd drive..

any ideas?

thanks

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

can you do a system restore to a point before this bad driver install and try again with the proper drivers? I'm taking it that it worked properly before this happened, right?

3. necrophyte

necrophyte New Member

actually wanted this to be last resort, but now i tried it and it didnt succeed..

restoration incomplete - your computer cannot be restored....

is there a system restore log where i can see what the reason for the failure was?

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Not that I know of, but I never had to look either. Usually it won't restore because what the OS needs for the restore isn't there anymore.... like the "original" driver files or a system file that got corrupt.

So after it didn't restore you are still in the same place, in other words it did nothing? I'm hoping it's not worse. If it can't restore it shouldn't make any changes to the system.

You seem to know exactly which driver is the culprit, did you try driver cleaner or something like it? From your original post it sounds like if the new "bad" driver were gone you would be back to square one, allowing you to install the correct driver. I beleive this is something a driver cleaner could handle (I don't own it so I don't know specifics) I'm actually surprised the driver rollback didn't fix it....... that's usually as far as I've needed to go.

5. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit DH ***** hobo

Cow_160483 likes this.
  6. necrophyte

necrophyte New Member

WOW thanks very much - the filters keys solved it!

7. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...