DVD playback very very slow with Omega 4.7

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Planet, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Planet

Planet New Member

Maybe someone can make a suggestion:

I have a laptop with ATI 9600 mobility pro, 3.2GHZ P4, Win XP SP2. I installed the Omega 4.7 drivers, basically following the default installation options. It fixed crashes I was getting in Doom III, which I was pleased about. I still had some occassional problems in HL2 (CS:Source Beta), but it is Beta, so who knows.

But when I came to play a DVD using Media Player or WinDVD, the playback was incredibly slow and choppy. It looked like 1 frame per 5 seconds, and the system hung when I tried to exit the players. I did a restore back to my old drivers, and the DVD worked OK (but Doom III hangs again).

I not really knowledgeable about all of the driver settings, so maybe there is something easy I can change to fix this problem.

Thanks for any advice.

Planet

2. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

I rarely have problems and even I have alot of HL2 beta problems. As for dvd play back thats totally dependant on the power of your system. More then likely something is wrong in your windows installation...

I've never had a problem like that so I don't have a soultion for you..

If all else fails?
    I prefur to use the easy fix with odd problems like that back up any important data, use your restore disk, reload windows/ patch and update to sp2,

3. Planet

Planet New Member

Thanks for the feedback. With 3.2GHz P4, DVD playback shouldn't be a problem, and it is not with the Sager or Clevo drivers. I only got a problem with the Omega drivers, so I was wondering if there was some magic setting that might specifically have caused the problem.

Reinstalling Windows is always an option, but for now, I'd like to hold off on that one. I'll try the 4.8 drivers when they come out.

4. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Hmm... Well it verry well could be... maybe try the offical 4.8's, with the mobilty mod tool....

Or mabe a custom hack job maybe needed...
    were are the drivers for you laptop get me a link can you? from the laptop maker and i'll look at the the inf's

5. Planet

Planet New Member

6. Planet

Planet New Member

An update:

I tried installing the Beta 4.9 Catalyst drivers and using mobility modder. Very good, works fine in Doom III and seems faster, but ... the DVD problem is back.

The symptoms are the same as with the 4.7 Omegas. Slow playback, less than one frame/second. Interestingly, the problem only occurs with Windows Media Player and WinDVD; the DivX player works OK.

Also, if I turn on hardware accelleration in WinDVD I get a good framerate, but the picture is totally corrupt. It was like this before I installed the Catalyst drivers though - I never used the hardware acceleration because it always ran OK without it.

The common factor seems Catalyst 4.7 / 4.9 drivers with WinDVD/WMP (but WMP uses WinDVD codecs).

So, my guess is that there is some feature in the Catalyst drivers that WMP and WinDVD are using that is not at all optimal. Maybe some function is advertised as accellerated, but is actually in software, or something like that.

Unfortunately, I don't think ATI supports catalyst on mobile chips, which sucks IMHO, but anyway.

Any help would be appreciated.

7. Planet

Planet New Member

OK,

I did more tests, and here is the story so far:

Spec:
    Sager 5680, aka Clevo D500P Laptop
    3.2GHz P4 w/HT
    ATI 9600 pro mobilty 128MB (standard clock)
    UXGA display (32 bit colour)
    1GB RAM
    Windows Media Player 9
    WinDVD version 4 and version 6
    Toshiba DVD drive (DMA enabled)
    1 geniune copy of LOTR RTOK

Works with:
    ATI drivers from Clevo and Sager (4.2, I think)
    ATI 4.7 Catalyst Drivers with mobility modder
    - Smooth DVD playback.

Does not work with:
    ATI 4.8 or 4.9 Catalyst Drivers with mobility modder
    Omega 4.7 or 4.8 drivers (both fast write on and off tried with 4.7)

- The symptoms are extremely slow playback of DVDs with around maybe 1 frame every second or two (hard to tell, but its slow). Sometimes Media player hangs completely when I try and close it, though usually not.

So - something changed between Catalyst 4.7 and 4.8, and between 4.7 and Omega 4.7 that breaks my DVD playback.

thanks again for any help.

8. polarbear

polarbear New Member

I've got the same problem....
    I noticed that if I set hardware acceleration to "Disable all DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations", all is well (with the video playback anyway)

I know Omega is looking at the problem...maybe thaat might give him a pointer.

Cheers
    pb

9. Omegadrive

Omegadrive Drivers? What Drivers???

I'm working on it, is very hard to diagnose with no hardware to test on...

10. Planet

Planet New Member

OK - I appreciate it. If you want me to test anything, just post, or send me a private message.

11. polarbear

polarbear New Member

If it helps, I have the same machine as Planet above...maybe its a problem restricted to them.
    Pretty standard hardware though...865PE chipset etc.
    Also, I have the problem when viewing AVIs and MPGs...not sure about DVDs as I don't have the codecs installed

Cheers
    pb

12. Cheesus

Cheesus New Member

If it helps, I have a Sager 8790 with a 9700 Mobility (256MB).

With the Omega 2544 drivers, all is well.

With anything higher (tried 2558 and 2567), DOOM3 works fine (and slightly faster!) but the system ALWAYS crashes when playing a WMV file. It doesn't matter if I use Media Player or VideoLAN.

Install Omega 2544 and all is good again.

13. DocOwnage

DocOwnage New Member

I've also spent quite a while troubleshooting this problem, and I found that if you use dxdiag to disable directdraw, WMP will be able to play videos, but will only have audio with DVDs, if they play at all. WinDVD won't play and gives an error saying "create overlay failed." I also have the sager 5680, and have been experiencing this problem for a while.

14. Omegadrive

Omegadrive Drivers? What Drivers???

From the readme:

15. Planet

Planet New Member

Thanks for the progress report.

Sager = Clevo, so it will also be a problem with dozens of other rebadged Clevo laptops (Eurocom, AJP, Hundyx , etc).

16. Cubeikon

Cubeikon New Member

Hey guys,

I´ve got a Clevo D500E/Sager 5690, and still the Same problems, currently I´m using the Omega´s based on the Catalyst 4.5 and everything works.

You should take a look at www.notebookforums.com there are thousands of Threads about this Topic, and I think every of this Notebooks has got this problem.....so I´m asking myself if I can ever update my graphiccard-drivers again, would be nice.

@ the OMEGA developers....anything found ´til yet ?

cya Cubeikon [the german one]

17. Planet

Planet New Member

Probably the best thing is for all of us to whine at Sager (or whoever your supplier is). These notebooks were sold as DirectX 9 gaming engines, but we can't really run Doom III without the latest drivers. Maybe Sager will whine at ATI (if it is their problem) and it might get sorted out eventually.

18. Pring4

Pring4 New Member

Yup - same problem here with my Sager 8890.

It may just be my imagination, but I seem to remember using the 4.7 Omega drivers just fine on my laptop. But then things started to go awry when I installed SP2. Hmmm, another piece to the puzzle.

19. Cubeikon

Cubeikon New Member

no, the problem mentioned (i think i wrote this word not correct, but i´m german ;)) here has no connection to the SP2, I´m using it by myself but the same problem with and without SP2. But a guy from a german Board said that with WMP10 it works.....but I wont try until anybody can confirm it :bleh:

cya

PS: In Notebookforums.com they say with WMP10 the problem still exists....I believe in the Omega Developers ;) Our only Chance....

20. Pring4

Pring4 New Member

There's a WMP10 now? Wow, am I behind the times.

But I agree...you can do it Omega!